function dependency report generator

Hi All,

Before I go off and write a tool to determine which functions are used by my
programs, I thought I'd check with the community first.  The idea is that
when you download some library, it'd be nice to "catalog" all the routines
in it to determine what other routines it uses.

I wrote one of these in perl a while back another idl-like system.  I'd have
to change the parser for syntax, but otherwise it wouldnt be too bad....
unless its already been done.

I'd like the tool to generate html, for example, so the routines in a
library, when clicked, show all external routines used.  Those external
routines would also then be clickable, etc.

Anything like this out there already ?

Thanks,
Howard

comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Howard Taylor wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Before I go off and write a tool to determine which functions are used by
> my
> programs, I thought I'd check with the community first.  The idea is that
> when you download some library, it'd be nice to "catalog" all the routines
> in it to determine what other routines it uses.
>
> I wrote one of these in perl a while back another idl-like system.  I'd
> have to change the parser for syntax, but otherwise it wouldnt be too
> bad.... unless its already been done.
>
> I'd like the tool to generate html, for example, so the routines in a
> library, when clicked, show all external routines used.  Those external
> routines would also then be clickable, etc.
>
> Anything like this out there already ?
>
> Thanks,
> Howard

Dear Howard,

I have written such a catalog routine some time ago.

Please have a look for the results of this at
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-i/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/idl_work_libraries.htm
All is html and javascript.
The idl routine catalog and catalog_db you'll find in the catalog too.
The tarballs were created by tar_gz_dependencies and the idl binaries by
compile.

And please have a look at our entry page.
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-i/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

Reimar
--
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de

0
R.Bauer (610)
9/12/2003 7:18:31 AM
Hi Reimar,

This looks great.  I'll grab it in the morning and try it on some of my own
stuff.

Thanks,
Howard