How to work with scripts?

Hey guys, I got a program that it ends up a little bit to big, so I'm trying in many ways to make it smaller, and now I'm trying to learn how to use scripts, for exemple, I have this:

  nt = 112 ;  Time 1 (mys)
  nt2 = 81 ;  Time 2 (mys)
  T=(dindgen(nt)*0.1+1.); Mys
  T2=(dindgen(nt2)+20);Mys
  time=[T,T2] ; vector time

  n=300000
  R=6.*randomu(Seed,n, /Normal) + 8.

  K= where(R gt 0.5 and R lt 18.5, count)
  Np = count

  P=fltarr(nt+nt2,Np)
  P[0,*]=R[K]

Here is my period distribution, as I was wondering if I could put this as a script, just like

@Period

And Period.pro would be:
nt = 112
nt2 = 81
n=300000
  R=6.*randomu(Seed,n, /Normal) + 8.

  K= where(R gt 0.5 and R lt 18.5, count)
  Np = count

  P=fltarr(nt+nt2,Np)
  P[0,*]=R[K]

Would that return all the variables to the program or I need to call them?
At this one, I need to return P and Np, is there somehow I do it?

Thanks guys!
0
Edson
12/2/2016 8:26:06 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

On 12/02/2016 09:26 PM, Edson Filho wrote:
> Hey guys, I got a program that it ends up a little bit to big, so
> I'm  trying in many ways to make it smaller, and now I'm trying to learn how
> to use scripts, for exemple, I have this:
>
>    nt = 112 ;  Time 1 (mys)
>    nt2 = 81 ;  Time 2 (mys)
>    T=(dindgen(nt)*0.1+1.); Mys
>    T2=(dindgen(nt2)+20);Mys
>    time=[T,T2] ; vector time
>
>    n=300000
>    R=6.*randomu(Seed,n, /Normal) + 8.
>
>    K= where(R gt 0.5 and R lt 18.5, count)
>    Np = count
>
>    P=fltarr(nt+nt2,Np)
>    P[0,*]=R[K]
>
> Here is my period distribution, as I was wondering if I could put this as a script, just like
>
> @Period
>
> And Period.pro would be:
> nt = 112
> nt2 = 81
> n=300000
>    R=6.*randomu(Seed,n, /Normal) + 8.
>
>    K= where(R gt 0.5 and R lt 18.5, count)
>    Np = count
>
>    P=fltarr(nt+nt2,Np)
>    P[0,*]=R[K]
>
> Would that return all the variables to the program or I need to call them?
> At this one, I need to return P and Np, is there somehow I do it?
if you use a script, it behaves as if you had cut-and-past it to the
command line.
So, no need to to return anything.

for more details see e.g.
http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~lecjm/Teaching/IDL_course/Notes/notes/node25.html

Using scripts is rarely a good idea, but i hope my comment & link help
anyway, Markus
0
Markus