Syntaxis highlighting in IDL 6.0

Dear all,

Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in
IDL 6.0 for Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent
IDE, but under Linux it's terrible !!!

Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ?
(except IDLWAVE for Emacs)

Thank you in advance !
0
adelante (12)
9/8/2003 12:55:49 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Smart wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in
> IDL 6.0 for Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent
> IDE, but under Linux it's terrible !!!
>
> Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ?
> (except IDLWAVE for Emacs)
>
> Thank you in advance !

kate

or further kdevelop if someone has written the part module

regards
Reimar

0
R.Bauer (610)
9/8/2003 4:40:13 PM
Well, something ought to be better in the Windows version. On the other
side, I as a Windows user have been waiting for the command-line version for
quite some time without success. Honestly, besides emacs I am not aware of
any other high-lighting editor for IDL.

Haje

"Smart" <adelante@bigmir.net> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in
> IDL 6.0 for Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent
> IDE, but under Linux it's terrible !!!
>
> Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ?
> (except IDLWAVE for Emacs)
>
> Thank you in advance !

0
haje.korth (195)
9/8/2003 4:48:24 PM
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 05:55:49 -0700, Smart wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in IDL 6.0 for
> Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent IDE, but under Linux
> it's terrible !!!
>
> Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ? (except
> IDLWAVE for Emacs)
>
> Thank you in advance !

Here is an amusing tech tip which purports to explain why there is no
Unix "chromacoding" IDE:

http://www.rsinc.com/services/output.cfm?tip_id=1659

It goes on to recommend using IDLWAVE.  My favorite quote:

	"This gives the *impression* of a chromacoded programming
 	 environment on the UNIX platform."

It also recommends you start with the IDE and "Open file in X/Emacs".
Those of you who use IDLWAVE everyday are probably chuckling under
your breath, because, in almost every way (other, perhaps, than the
learning curve), it surpasses the Unix IDLDE, both in terms of editing
IDL code, and interacting with the IDL shell.  I hate to think that
Carsten and I have taken the pressure off RSI to update their Unix
(now including MacOSX) IDE offering, but I think that is exactly what
has happened.  In the meantime, expect a new IDLWAVE versions
supporting 6.0 "real soon now" (i.e. whenever I get time to convert
the docs) at idlwave.org.

JD

P.S. I know you specifically asked for solutions *other* than IDLWAVE,
and I've heard of a few other colorizing editors out there which
support IDL, but none that I know of interact with the IDL shell, and
hence none that could be called IDE's.
0
jdsmith (626)
9/8/2003 5:08:57 PM
There is nEdit, not an IDE by any means but it does syntax highlighting if
used with the IDL pattern set (idl.pats).  Last time I checked the .pats
file was woefully out of date but nEdit is a stable editor available for a
number of platforms.

I really think you should get over your fear of Emacs :)

-Rick

"Smart"  wrote in message...
> Dear all,
>
> Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in
> IDL 6.0 for Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent
> IDE, but under Linux it's terrible !!!
>
> Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ?
> (except IDLWAVE for Emacs)
>
> Thank you in advance !

0
Rick
9/8/2003 6:35:20 PM
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:08:57 -0700, JD Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 05:55:49 -0700, Smart wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Do you know whether there is a syntaxis highlighting in IDL 6.0 for
>> Linux ? In IDL for Windows there is an excellent IDE, but under Linux
>> it's terrible !!!
>>
>> Or could you point me out an IDE for Linux which supports IDL ? (except
>> IDLWAVE for Emacs)
>>
>> Thank you in advance !
>
> Here is an amusing tech tip which purports to explain why there is no
> Unix "chromacoding" IDE:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/services/output.cfm?tip_id=1659

An interested party at RSI pointed out that I stumbled on the old
tech-tips system (I found it on Google).  The updated tip, at:

http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=1659

is certainly more up to date, and speaks a bit more highly of IDLWAVE.

JD
0
jdsmith (626)
9/8/2003 9:55:29 PM
Thank you guys for the answers ! As far as I see there is no
alternative
to IDLWave in fact :) I don't fear Emacs, don't get me wrong. I'm just
a Windows user who is switching to Linux. But who can explain me, why
should I pay to RSI A LOT OF MONEY for the product, which even doesn't
have so necessary thing as a normal IDE ? Let's hire programmers from
KDE project and they will write everything you need :)

By the way, I tested Kate with IDL. It's excellent ! There is a
syntaxis
highliting and it even has a built-it shell window. But...
JD Smith is right: "... but none that I know of interact with the IDL
shell, and hence none that could be called IDE's." You can write a
text in Kate, compile it from the shell, but it's not a IDE actually.

I go to IDLWave site and start learning Emacs :)

Rick Towler wrote:

> There is nEdit, not an IDE by any means but it does syntax highlighting if
> used with the IDL pattern set (idl.pats).  Last time I checked the .pats
> file was woefully out of date but nEdit is a stable editor available for a
> number of platforms.
>
> I really think you should get over your fear of Emacs :)
>
> -Rick
0
adelante (12)
9/9/2003 6:48:27 AM
Smart wrote:

> Thank you guys for the answers ! As far as I see there is no
> alternative
> to IDLWave in fact :) I don't fear Emacs, don't get me wrong. I'm just
> a Windows user who is switching to Linux. But who can explain me, why
> should I pay to RSI A LOT OF MONEY for the product, which even doesn't
> have so necessary thing as a normal IDE ? Let's hire programmers from
> KDE project and they will write everything you need :)
>
> By the way, I tested Kate with IDL. It's excellent ! There is a
> syntaxis
> highliting and it even has a built-it shell window. But...
> JD Smith is right: "... but none that I know of interact with the IDL
> shell, and hence none that could be called IDE's." You can write a
> text in Kate, compile it from the shell, but it's not a IDE actually.
>
> I go to IDLWave site and start learning Emacs :)

It's the right decission.

Actually gideon (the next kevelop 3.0) does not have a part for idl. But it
has it already for C, C++, Fortan, Java, PHP, perl, Python and Ruby.
Later someone should be able to write a rudimentary idl part module.
I believe if this isn't done in coorporation with rsi it would not be as
useful as it could be.

One of the benifits of emacs is that it could be used on a simpe terminal
console too.  ( and this with all features :) )

Thanks JD for the IDLWave mode.

Reimar

--
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de

0
R.Bauer (610)
9/9/2003 8:26:04 PM
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:26:04 -0700, Reimar Bauer wrote:

> Smart wrote:
>
>> Thank you guys for the answers ! As far as I see there is no
>> alternative
>> to IDLWave in fact :) I don't fear Emacs, don't get me wrong. I'm just
>> a Windows user who is switching to Linux. But who can explain me, why
>> should I pay to RSI A LOT OF MONEY for the product, which even doesn't
>> have so necessary thing as a normal IDE ? Let's hire programmers from
>> KDE project and they will write everything you need :)
>>
>> By the way, I tested Kate with IDL. It's excellent ! There is a
>> syntaxis
>> highliting and it even has a built-it shell window. But... JD Smith is
>> right: "... but none that I know of interact with the IDL shell, and
>> hence none that could be called IDE's." You can write a text in Kate,
>> compile it from the shell, but it's not a IDE actually.
>>
>> I go to IDLWave site and start learning Emacs :)
>>

> It's the right decission.
>
> Actually gideon (the next kevelop 3.0) does not have a part for idl. But
> it has it already for C, C++, Fortan, Java, PHP, perl, Python and Ruby.
> Later someone should be able to write a rudimentary idl part module. I
> believe if this isn't done in coorporation with rsi it would not be as
> useful as it could be.

I might mention that the typical "add-on" for dealing with IDL in other
editors involves nothing more than describing the keywords, comments,
strings and commands to be colorized.  There is far more to IDLWAVE than
this; in fact, it comprises probably less than 1% of the total codebase.

> Thanks JD for the IDLWave mode.

Thank you, and thanks to Carsten, and all the many contributors who have
made IDLWAVE what it is today.

JD
0
jdsmith (626)