Secure connection to a SQL database from a Java client

Hi,

I am currently undertaking a software project that will require secure
connection from a Java UI client to an SQL database located on a different
machine.  I have been researching possible solutions to this and would like
your opinion on the following:

1. Client software on a remote computer opens a secure connection to the
server machine running at a prespecified IP.
2. A further Java program acts as a server on the machine holding the
database, this program decrypts commands sent from the client software,
communicates with the SQL database and sends back encrypted data.

Would there be easier ways of doing this and will it be simple to implement
user name/password verification in the server software?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

0
Jo3
10/19/2003 11:58:02 PM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

It seems as a natural way to solving that problem, but you need SSL so you
must use
J2EE as I know. I'm currently trying to use J2EE for some JSP/servlet and it
seems very complicated to me.

"Jo3" <scfcnospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am currently undertaking a software project that will require secure
> connection from a Java UI client to an SQL database located on a different
> machine.  I have been researching possible solutions to this and would
like
> your opinion on the following:
>
> 1. Client software on a remote computer opens a secure connection to the
> server machine running at a prespecified IP.
> 2. A further Java program acts as a server on the machine holding the
> database, this program decrypts commands sent from the client software,
> communicates with the SQL database and sends back encrypted data.
>
> Would there be easier ways of doing this and will it be simple to
implement
> user name/password verification in the server software?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Joe

0
Mladen
10/20/2003 8:47:22 AM
I don't believe that you have to use J2EE to use SSL. JSSE is distributed as
part of J2SE and allows you to create SSLSockets.

--
Rick Genter
<mailto:rgenter "at" rcn.com>
"Mladen Adamovic" <adamm@blic.net> wrote in message
> It seems as a natural way to solving that problem, but you need SSL so you
> must use
> J2EE as I know. I'm currently trying to use J2EE for some JSP/servlet and
it
> seems very complicated to me.
>
> "Jo3" <scfcnospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I am currently undertaking a software project that will require secure
> > connection from a Java UI client to an SQL database located on a
different
> > machine.  I have been researching possible solutions to this and would
> like
> > your opinion on the following:
> >
> > 1. Client software on a remote computer opens a secure connection to the
> > server machine running at a prespecified IP.
> > 2. A further Java program acts as a server on the machine holding the
> > database, this program decrypts commands sent from the client software,
> > communicates with the SQL database and sends back encrypted data.
> >
> > Would there be easier ways of doing this and will it be simple to
> implement
> > user name/password verification in the server software?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> >
> > Joe

0
Rick