Java crashes - only message is "Aborted"???

Hi,We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes afterrunning for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only messagewritten to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception, nonothing. We have encapsulated the invocation in try/catch Throwable inan attempt to at least be able to log a stack trace, but apparently noexception is thrown. No core dump or fatal error log is produced.Our code leverages a Java SDK from Canto (Cumulus), which uses nativecode via JNI invocation. We are currently running the program withoption verbose:jni, in the hope that this will help us pinpoint theerror, and are currently eagerly awaiting a crash.Any suggestions on how to proceed?Sincerely,  Anders S. Johansen
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck wrote:> We have a strange problem. Our program occationally crashes after> running for several hours. Nothing is logged, and the only message> written to the console is "Aborted" - no stack trace, no exception,> no nothing.[...]> No core dump or fatal error log is produced.[...]> Any suggestions on how to proceed?You've received SIGABRT, either because someone has sent that signal(with kill), or because the code itself invokes abort(), perhaps viaassert().Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) beforestarting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the settingis "unlimited". That should get you a corefile./gordon--
0
Gordon
6/27/2007 1:54:37 PM
On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <n...@for.email> wrote:> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.Thank you. We will try that.Sincerely,  Anders
0
dduck
6/27/2007 2:13:08 PM
dduck wrote:> On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <n...@for.email> wrote:>> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before>> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting>> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.> > Thank you. We will try that.> > Sincerely,>   AndersWhat OS are you running this on?You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limitsare imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?-- Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,            University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK E-mail :    nmw@ion.le.ac.uk Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
0
Nigel
6/27/2007 4:07:09 PM
On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <n...@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:> dduck wrote:> > On Jun 27, 3:54 pm, Gordon Beaton <n...@for.email> wrote:> >> Try doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell (or start script) before> >> starting the application, or confirm with "ulimit -c" that the setting> >> is "unlimited". That should get you a corefile.>> > Thank you. We will try that.>> > Sincerely,> >   Anders>> What OS are you running this on?>> You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What limits> are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post preciseinfo on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote accessto that particular machine).We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indicationsthat any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,classes loaded...).Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report thefindings.Sincerely,  Anders
0
dduck
6/27/2007 5:14:25 PM
dduck wrote:

> On Jun 27, 6:07 pm, Nigel Wade <n...@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
>> dduck wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you. We will try that.
>>
>> > Sincerely,
>> >   Anders
>>
>> What OS are you running this on?
>>
>> You might be hitting a resource limit which is aborting the command. What
limits
>> are imposed (CPU, stack size, vm size etc) in your environment?
>
> We are running on RedHat Linux on an x86 arch. I will post precise
> info on this tomorrow when I get back to the office (no remote access
> to that particular machine).
>
> We constantly monitor the app with JConsole. There are no indications
> that any obvious resource is being exhausted (CPU, memory, threads,
> classes loaded...).
>
> Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into it and report the
> findings.
>
> Sincerely,
>   Anders

You won't get any indication that a resource limit is nearly exhausted, your
program only receives the indication when it is exhausted. That may just be a
failure to allocate a new resource, such as failing to open a file because you
already have open the max. allowed, or the program being aborted due to
exceeding the CPU limit.

"ulimit -a" should tell you your limits in Linux.

E-mail :    nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
0
Nigel
6/28/2007 8:29:53 AM
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:37:22 -0700, dduck <anders.johansen@gmail.com>

> the only message
>written to the console is "Aborted"

do a global search of your source code for the string "Aborted". It
may be the app itself exiting on some "impossible" condition.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

SGI Java issue "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: poll0"
Hello all; I'm trying to debug an issue with a java script called, SelectSockets. It appears to be a fairly common one found on the web. I downloaded the SGI Java v1.4.1 installation from SGI's webpage and installed it using SGI's swmgr application. The installation was very straight forward and there were no errors when I installed the package. Then I ran /usr/java2/bin/javac SelectSockets.java to make the SelectSockets.class file. Then I ran /usr/java2/bin/java SelectSockets, and got the following error message: =================================================...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

"Java slooow" or "programmers sloppyyyyy" ?
Now, granted, I am a beginner on the Java platform. Dived into it last year and so far I really like what I've seen. I'm not a programmer myself but mostly a system administrator, but because I wanted to grasp something a little more recent than Pascal (on Linux/Solaris you really have no benefit with Pascal) and because C / Perl didn't really appeal to me I ended up here. I can't help wonder if a lot of the "Java is slow" comments I hear around me aren't fed by the results of sloppy programmers. For example.. I read that you should make a very good jud...

"java -jar" vs "java -cp" question
I have my classes with the main method in main.jar, and an external library in external.jar. Now, I can start my application with: java -cp main.jar:external.jar MainClass Fine, but the following command does *not* work: java -cp external.jar -jar main.jar MainClass It doesn't find the classes in external.jar. Why not?? Thanks! Markus Hi Markus Here is the statement about -jar option in the java docs -jar Executes a program encapsulated in a JAR archive. The first argument is the name of a JAR file instead of a startup class name. In order...

"Ascii2Hex2Ascii" Compiler says "java.lang.NumberFormatException", What does this mean?
I am getting some pretty weird 'messages' perhaps errors? When I Run my program. It compiles with no errors or messages. Could someone tell me what to do, or more import explain what that message is trying to tell me? If you need more information then please ask. Here is the source code with comments. /* I get the following error or message when the program goes into the last for-loop to convert BACK from HEX to ASCII it seems to only happen when the Length goes over 4 or higher? java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "0041004100410071" at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source) at Hex2Ascii2HexTEST.main(Hex2Ascii2HexTEST.java:35) */ import java.io.*; import java.lang.*; //Program to Convert ASCII STRING to HEX then Back to ASCII STRING class Hex2Ascii2HexTEST { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { String hexString =""; // system.in reader (the input from console) InputStreamReader inputStream = new InputStreamReader(System.in); // buffer the console reader BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(inputStream); { // output the question. System.out.print("Enter STRING : "); // read console intput one line (BR.readLine) and store as String String asciiString = (br.readLine()); // Covert to HEX System.out.println("ORIGINAL ascii String is ="+asciiString); f...

How can I pass "-verbosegc" to a java application which is launched by "Java Web Start"
I have a JAVA Application, which is launched by "Java Web Start". Now I want to get Information about Gabage Collction. Normally in JAVA I just set the JVM-option "-verbosegc" to activate logging. But How can I pass that option to my JVM through "Java Web Start". Is there any to set tis option whitin my ".jnlp" File ??? Thanks for any help Willi ...

Hello all, how is everyone doing; good I hope. Anyways, I was wondering how I can edit the jvm settings. I have the following error: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space I read that this is caused by not having the jvm set high enough in memory; or an infinite loop. If I try to edit the jvm settings; do I do this in eclipse or add some commands to my actually code? Any thoughs, always apprecited thanks again. "Michael" <mbialowas@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:TtWZf.8710$nf7.4484@pd7tw1no... > Hello all, how is everyone doing; good I hope. Anyways, I was wondering how > I can edit the jvm settings. I have the following error: > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space > > I read that this is caused by not having the jvm set high enough in memory; > or an infinite loop. > > If I try to edit the jvm settings; do I do this in eclipse or add some > commands to my actually code? > > Any thoughs, always apprecited thanks again. Hi, If you're using Eclipse, try adding the following: choose the menu option "run", the "run" again, and you get an option screen. There, you choose "new" to define a new configuration for your current project. As soon as you have done that (or select an existing project), there are several tabs on the right. One of them reads "(x)= Arguments". Select that one, and add th...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
I'm using matlab 7.9.0 and I got this error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space how can I solve this error? I create a file C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2009b\bin\win32 with the name java.opts with -Xmx2024m and I got the same error "Norberto Barroca" <norberto.barroca@hotmail.com> wrote in message <hh5gga$nc8$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I'm using matlab 7.9.0 and I got this error: > Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space > > how ...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space #3
2007a, student version on windoz XP SP2. I use GUIDE, and after sometime of using it, I notice it gets sluggish in its response to editing and I see the following Java errors on the console: "Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" I am not sure why it runs out of RAM so fast. as I have 4 GB of physical RAM. I did a google on the above and I see that others have seen this. I wonder if there is any update on this problem that someone from Mathworks or others can comment on. Is this still a problem in later Matlab releases...

[compilation error] debugging this error message "Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to"
Hi,I have a class called Device that instantiates another class DbMoneyin this manner:=== return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() );===1) Both are in the same package, i.e. my.IMoney & my.Device2) When I compile them, javac complains with the error:Object() in java.lang.Object cannot be applied to (my.IMoney,java.lang.String) return new DbMoney( money, hardware.getName() ) ^Q) My arguments to the DbMoney constructor match that of its declaredmethod parameters. So that can't be the problem. What am I doingwrong ?Gavin On Mar 28, 3:25 pm, "Gavin&...

Busting "java.lang.outofmemory"
Hi, I am working on a project in which when i run out of memory, I get a "Java.lang.outofmemory" exception. But I am not able to catch this ! i.e is every function has a try catch statement. But I am not able to get hold of this exception. Well u might be wondering what i wud like to do after catching it.... well I'd like to tell the user that his memory is over !! Am I not able to catch it? or doesnt java has a way to catch this exception? plz help, regards, Rajesh Rapaka. On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:08:37 +0100, Rajesh.Rapaka <rajesh.rapaka@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, &...

Changing case "message" to "MESSAGE"
Working my way through Koenig & Moo "Accelerated C++" and using Borlang Builder 5 (but that is probably not relevant) I reached exercise 1-1 and typed in #include <vcl.h> #pragma hdrstop #include <iostream> #include <string> int main(int argc, char*argv[]} { const std::string hello = "Hello" // This by itself compiled const std::string message = "Hello" // and other stuff which I have //left out here. system("PAUSE"); return 0; } But I left caps lock on, and by mistake typed MESSAGE, an...

"out" and "in out"

what are "prefetch abort" and "data abort"?
dear developers could anybody tell me what do they mean and what's the difference between them? thx in advance In message <1ec2394b.0406050419.349d0920@posting.google.com> z9050807@yahoo.com.tw (mika) wrote: what are "prefetch abort" and "data abort"? > could anybody tell me what do they mean and what's the difference > between them? Prefetch abort occurs when the memory handling logic tells the processor that there is no valid memory where the next instruction is to...

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

strcmp("C", "Java") > 0 == 1
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html ...

"java" binary exec()s PA_RISC2.0/java
I've installed JRE versin 1.4.2_09 on my HP-UX 11.11 box. But whenever I run "java" it runs bin/PA_RISC2.0/java . I run "javac" and it starts up "bin/PA_RISC2.0/javac". Is this something normal with HP-UX? Thanks for all the replies. ravindra.rajaram@gmail.com wrote: > I've installed JRE versin 1.4.2_09 on my HP-UX 11.11 box. > But whenever I run "java" it runs bin/PA_RISC2.0/java . I run "javac" > and it starts up "bin/PA_RISC2.0/javac". Is this something normal with > HP-UX? > > Thanks for all the repli...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

xdoclet: why are java files with "package" ignored by the "template" subtask?
I've been trying to use xdoclet to generate proxy classes based on some of my java classes. I'm using the "template" subtask and doing a transformation aggregation (i.e. destinationFile contains "{0}") . What I have found is that a Java file with no "package" statement gets transformed just fine. But if a Java file has a package statement (as 99% of them do!), then it is ignored by the template subtask. Can anyone explain what is going on, and what the workaround is? ...

how can i write the java program with wildcard like "%" "_"
Dear All, I would like to write a java program with user input string with regular express like "%" and "-" and query it in SQL. How can i write the program with string support that kinds of wildcard? Thanks On 8 Oct 2005 21:46:38 -0700, alicecuee@gmail.com wrote or quoted : >How can i write the program with string support that kinds of wildcard? See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/main.html about passing awkward characters through the command line. You might choose a character that does not already have meaning to the command processor e.g. ~ SQL has the LIKE % f...

Why is there no tab "Update" in Java Control Panel? Install "Updater" separately?
I installed JavaSE on my new Notebook with 64bit Win7. Everything is fine except the fact that the Java Control Panel shows no tab "Update". So I cannot tell Java to retrieve (and install) a new update. On my old WinXP (32bit) computer this "Update" tab was available. What's wrong? Do I have to install an updtae separately? Gianni In article <4cbac3a1$0$6761$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>, ggal@osgitest.org says... > > I installed JavaSE on my new Notebook with 64bit Win7. > > Everything is fine except the fac...

How to create a java "extends"/"implements" clause with xsd file and castor?
I hate to start the email with the "I'm new to this clause", but there it is. I am understanding how the xsd files work and how the castor SourceGenerator works. What I am not understanding is how the binding of a complexType to another package in java works. Basically I have in my .xsd file: <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> .. .. .. <xs:element name="my-Operation"> <xs:annotation> <xs:documentation>Root element</xs:documentation> </xs:annotation> <xs:complexType> <xs:complexContent> <xs:all> <xs:element ref="my-Login" minOccurs="0"/> <xs:element ref="my-Logoff" minOccurs="0"/> </xs:all> </xs:complexContent> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> (I understand I am missing the binding stuff, but I feel as though what I have attempted is completely wrong so I will save you all the pain...) What I would like to get is: public class MyOperation implements com.myother.package.MyInterface, java.io.Serializable { .... } Heck, at this point, I would forget the interface and use another class instead: public class MyOperation extends com.myother.package.MyClass implements java.io.Serializable { .... } The extends/implements clauses are what I can not figure ...

Web resources about - Java crashes - only message is "Aborted"??? - comp.lang.java.programmer