Printing to passbook printer from Java Web based app ?

Hi All,

We want to move from Windows terminal server based GUI application to
Java based web application (using JSP/JSF). The application must print
Ticket using passbook printer : Epson Passbook Printer, TM-U950 /
0950P.

Is there any solution for my above requirement ?

Thank you for your help,
Krist

0
xtanto (76)
9/1/2005 9:18:13 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

xtanto@hotmail.com wrote:
> We want to move from Windows terminal server based GUI application to
> Java based web application (using JSP/JSF). The application must print
> Ticket using passbook printer : Epson Passbook Printer, TM-U950 /
> 0950P.

I don't know that particular printer. In general, printing from Java is
not for the fainted of heart. So, you might want to write a prototype to
verify that you can talk to that printer on your target platform in the
desired language. Doing it on the target platform is essential.

I particular, if you want to print on the client site, then you picked
the wrong technology from the Java ABC (or better JKL) alphabet soup.
Simplified, you get web pages with JSP. Unless you throw in more
technology, this leaves you with the print capabilities of the browser.

Is that enough for your application? If not, consider to write a real
Java application, and deploy it via JWS (Java Web Start).

If you print on the server site, then you have the same printing APIs
(yes, there is more than one) as in an application - unless I missed
some printing extension in J2EE.

/Thomas
--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
nobody89 (1641)

The majority of the apps should be JSP/JSF.

If use Java Apps (Swing) ONLY for the printing part, and call that
printing screen from JSP/JSF, how can I do that ?

Thank you,
Krist

0
xtanto (76)
9/1/2005 10:58:29 AM
On 1 Sep 2005 02:18:13 -0700, xtanto@hotmail.com wrote or quoted :

>We want to move from Windows terminal server based GUI application to
>Java based web application (using JSP/JSF). The application must print
>Ticket using passbook printer : Epson Passbook Printer, TM-U950 /
>0950P.
>
>Is there any solution for my above requirement ?

Usually you would handle this as you did back in the days of DOS with
your own little printer specific device driver.  You send commands out
the USB, parallel or serial port, and the printer renders the
characters.  For this you will need a printer manual that explains the
command set (Hard to get nowadays. They are not longer packed with the
printer. Perhaps Epson has it in PDF on the web.)

Failing that, you fall back on the basic Epson command set and some
experimenting.  I wrote about 75 of such things in the DOS days for
the Abundance language.

You also will of course need some way to poke a character out the
port.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parallelport.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/serialport.html

If worse comes to worse, you write some JNI.

To do this well, you want to get feedback from the printer, out of
paper, offline etc. so you can explain to the user what is going on.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
look-on (4215)
On 1 Sep 2005 03:58:29 -0700, xtanto@hotmail.com wrote or quoted :

>If use Java Apps (Swing) ONLY for the printing part, and call that
>printing screen from JSP/JSF, how can I do that ?

if you are using desktop or bigger machines attached to the printer
you can use the builtin-in the rather crummy port io in Java or if the
printer is supported as a system device, using the bitmap style
dumping described at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/printing.html

If the printer is attached to something tiny like a handheld, then you
have a more difficult time finding port support and you are definitely
pushed to character mode for reasonable speed.

A assumed the printer might be attached to something in between, a
single board computer in an ATM, which may be running something off
the beaten track.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
look-on (4215)

[Java-Printer]My printers are not senn by java apps
This problem apparently has nothing todo with Java applications : I am on Linux and apparently now any Java apps run do not see my printer list as handled by CUPS. Before it worked ; I think it has to do with the JDK installed ? Any ideas will be wellcome. Thanks. ...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Cla...

Why do Java apps insist on announcing that they are Java apps?
Why is it that when one runs a Java app (on Windows, at least), the stupid and annoying Sun Java2 system tray applet pops up a message balloon saying, "Wheeee!!! You've just started a Java app!! Aren't you lucky and aren't I special?!?!?!" I see this with java web applets (like chatroom apps), and I assume it happens for Java desktop apps as well. (Note: The actual balloon message is "Java(TM) 2 Platform - Visit us for more information at: http://www.java.com".) So annoying. Whenever I see that messaage come up I think to myself, "Yeah? We...

Java Java
Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. Working on a second right now. Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. It will be at www.black-and-company.com tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. > > It will be at www.black-and-company.com > Wasn't that the whole point of Lindows? Oh, right, we didn't care for that either. tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a ...

Java in Java
Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a desktop Java app? -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our podcasts on weird stuff Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a > desktop Java app? > Quite likely, but you won't necessarily get the same security model, unless you were careful about it. -- Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/&g...

Signature capture into our web-based Java app?
My short question is, can someone recommend a decide/software combo to capture a signature into our Java app in some usable format? Let me elaborate: 1. current system: our users fill out a form in the browser. We generate a PDF file in a specific format off that input data. The user prints the PDF, signs it manually (the old fashioned way, with a pen), and then mails it off to a central location. 2. proposed system: user fills out form. User then signs on the hardware device, which in some more or less magical fashion plop that signature into our PDF file. The user then will press a button ...

should my web app use java beans for business logic, or regular java classes
I am developing a web application to allow users setup a complete test environment for their specific needs :- - hardware - users - projects - tests So the app would allow users to create a project (say nfsv4) whereby they would allocate 3 lab systems to run an nfsv4 testsuite (called nfsv4_test). So in the classic MVC model the backend would be SQL database with tables for users, hardware, tests, projects. The front end would be all JSP for adding/monitoring projects or users or tests, and it is the middle portion that I am unsure about. I can use...

GUI automation test tool for JAVA/Java based web pages on Linux
Hi, Please read my requirement: I have a site that is run using Tomcat(Apache) and the contents of the site are linked to a PSQL database. there are 2 frames in the front window(F1 & F2) The F1 frame which is at the left side, has some hyperlinks; on clicking they open in the frame F2. In the opened pages, I feed some data, delete some data and retrieve some data. I need an automated test tool that will feed the data to these Java based pages, and collect the output from these pages. Please let me know if you have come across some tools. Regards, Anil. anilby@gmail.com (Anil) wrote in ...

Skills: Java, web development, web services, Java
Title: Skills: Java, web development, web services, Java developer, development, database, RDBMS, SQL, Unix, C++, C#, Python, design, code, server side, application Trinity Consultancy Services is seeking applications from qualified and experienced software engineers with above skills for various requirements with their Clients. Job description: Java Developer * The Java Developer for our client, a leader in educational assessment, reporting, and professional development, will be deeply involved in building out our platform in the core technologies group. From creating interfaces for data i...

How do I launch a new Java app from a running Java app?
Here is the motivation for my question. I have a Swing-based application that is launched using Web Start. I would like this application to launch other application instances using it's own classpath (e.g. fork new instances of itself) when the user invokes certain functions. I know that I can use Runtime or ProcessBuilder to launch another Java application. If I use this approach, how can I get the current application's classpath so that I can pass it as an argument to the Java sub process? Sincerely, Steve A On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:57:28 +0800, steve.albin@gmail.com wrote (in arti...

radio boxes in a Java based web/proxy app
Hi all, I am working on making some changes to a web application as part of my final year university project I am having some trouble with Java or HTML (I dont know which one is causing the problem): *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------* There is class which defines a user configuration page in HTML, Ive added some options to it, 3 radio boxes each having a particular segment of code that willl be executed if it is selected (see further down) //Link Mechanism int match = us.getMatchMode(); response += "<T...

Job to convert Java App 1.3.1 to Java Newest of Java
I am looking for a excellent and fast developer to convert my existing Java program using (1.3.1) to the newest version of Java. The program uses Graphics and database routines. Review web site http://www.uprealimager.com For those developers interested in a small conversion project please reply for additional details. Thank you, Michael Kintner, MCSE, MGP CEO, Business Network Developer CNerd Inc 518 Queen Street Olean, New York 14760 ...

Sun/Java would win BIG if they included xml based RIA in Java Web Start (think Adobe Flex)
Hello, Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends -it is simple XML based GUI design that make swing look like the stone ages. I keep wondering why sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich Internet Application functionality. Seems they would have a big home run if they did? kwiatekfamily@gmail.com wrote: > Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends -it is simple XML based GUI > design that make swing look like the stone ages. I keep wondering why > sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich > Internet Application functionality. Seems t...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during com...

print pdfs from java java program
I seen a handful of libraries that can produce pdfs. I'm looking for a way to print them and possibly print preview them from a java application. Does anybody know of a tool that can do that? I'm using iText (if it makes any difference). Hmm... just as I was writing this, I saw a mention of another library, jpedal (jpedal.org) and it says it can "view" them. I'm going to try it out tonight but I doubt it will do printing. ...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type o...

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > ...

execute java app from within java
Hi, Is there another way of launching a java program, from within another java program, than using: Runtime r = Runtime.getRuntime(); Process p = r.exec("c:/javac/bin/java -classpath c:\\Michael Sample"); What I want to do is to check if I have infocenter ( part of Eclipse) running if not then I need to fire up eclipse's infocenter using command (this is from a shell script): java -classpath $ECLIPSE_HOME/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.2.0.v20060601.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command $1 -port $INFOCENTER_PORT -eclipsehome $ECLIPSE_HOME -noexec -data $d...

Selecting Java version for java app
How should I specify a Java version to run a specific java app? I have several versions of java and the default is 1.1.8. Hi john johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote: > How should I specify a Java version to run a specific java app? > > I have several versions of java and the default is 1.1.8. > > > In which case the app will run using that java - or not if the app needs a later java. Then you need to specify the java to use as part of the app starting command eg f:\java142\jre\bin\java.exe - jar drive:\path\javaapp.jar I found it much easi...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-so...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add c...

Web resources about - Printing to passbook printer from Java Web based app ? - comp.lang.java.programmer

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only
[ SMH - Text-only index ] Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only Date: February 13 2016 London: Britain's ...

The hottest trend in 3D printing: shoes on demand
Customised shoe insoles and orthotics are among the newest products to be created using 3D printing machines, and companies such as Nike and ...

Britain's Independent will stop printing newspapers as it goes online-only
The Indy will disappear from British news stands as it becomes one of the first national newspapers in the world to buckle under pressure from ...

Why is the UK still printing its laws on vellum?
After a U-turn, the UK government is to continue printing and storing its laws on vellum. Shouldn't it go digital?

Firefox 44 adds H.264 video support on desktop, supports cloud printing on Android
... its heels. Like the previous release, the most visible changes are reserved for the mobile build. Android users gain support for cloud printing ...

Stratasys Partners with Adobe to Broaden Adoption of 3D Printing with New Color Experience and Simplified ...
Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq:SSYS), the 3D printing and additive manufacturing solutions company, today announced that it has taken color 3D printing ...

Printing Human Tissue? Why Not?
Six years ago in Washington, DC, a State Department security SUV made an illegal left turn and struck me as I crossed the street. My tibial plateau ...

ICYMI: Printing in 4D, solar panel breakthrough and more
Today on In Case You Missed It: Scientists at Harvard have figured out how to print incredibly small, shape-shifting creations out of hydrogel ...

3D Printing Used To Create 4D Flowers That Change Shape Over Time
With Valentine’s Day just two weeks away, science really is upping the stakes in exactly which flowers to buy your loved one on this Hallmark ...