should my web app use java beans for business logic, or regular java classes

I am developing a web application to allow users setup a complete test
environment for their specific needs :-
         - hardware
         - users
         - projects
         - tests

    So the app would allow users to create a project (say nfsv4)
whereby they would allocate 3 lab systems to run an nfsv4 testsuite
(called nfsv4_test).
    So in the classic MVC model the backend would be SQL database with
tables for users, hardware, tests, projects. The front end would be
all JSP for adding/monitoring  projects or users or tests, and it is
the middle portion that I am unsure about. I can use regular java
classes here to code the business logic ..... or do I use Java beans?
what advantage would there be to using Java Beans? Are Java Beans
still a supported technology and can I afford to ignore it?
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

terry433iid@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am developing a web application to allow users setup a complete test
> environment for their specific needs :-
>          - hardware
>          - users
>          - projects
>          - tests
>
>     So the app would allow users to create a project (say nfsv4)
> whereby they would allocate 3 lab systems to run an nfsv4 testsuite
> (called nfsv4_test).
>     So in the classic MVC model the backend would be SQL database with
> tables for users, hardware, tests, projects. The front end would be
> all JSP for adding/monitoring  projects or users or tests, and it is
> the middle portion that I am unsure about. I can use regular java
> classes here to code the business logic ..... or do I use Java beans?

Yes.  JavaBeans are just regular classes that follow certain coding patterns.

> what advantage would there be to using Java Beans? Are Java Beans

JSPs can use beans, via, for example, the <jsp:useBean> tag.

One of several patterns is to use a bean as a value object to hold results
from the middleware.  The JSP can display results held in such a value object.

> still a supported technology and can I afford to ignore it?

It's not a technology, it's a technique, and no.

--
Lew
0