why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?

hi all

   why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?

/root>uname -a
Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
/root>java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)

thanks
from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
0
mcheung631 (21)
7/2/2013 12:16:50 PM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 02/07/13 15:16, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all
>
>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>
> /root>uname -a
> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I see a 64Bit kernel. Note the x86_64.

So probably you have ubuntu 64 bit? ;-)

Regards,
   Sven
On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all
>
>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>
> /root>uname -a
> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> /root>java -version
> java version "1.7.0_21"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>
> thanks
> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
system became 64 bit as well...
0
silvio6894 (33)
7/2/2013 12:54:45 PM
On 02/07/13 13:54, Silvio wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>>
>> /root>uname -a
>> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23
>> UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> /root>java -version
>> java version "1.7.0_21"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>>
>> thanks
>> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
>>

> Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
> system became 64 bit as well...

You're kidding right?

Is it April 1st

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat�: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun
On 07/02/2013 03:07 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
> On 02/07/13 13:54, Silvio wrote:
>> On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
>>> hi all
>>>
>>>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>>>
>>> /root>uname -a
>>> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23
>>> UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> /root>java -version
>>> java version "1.7.0_21"
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
>>>

>> Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
>> system became 64 bit as well...
>
> You're kidding right?
>
> Is it April 1st
>
> lipska

Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.

0
silvio6894 (33)
7/2/2013 2:14:33 PM
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>

>Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.

I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM. What should he type to find out what
he has?
Getting information off the Internet is
like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.
~ Mitch Kapor 1950-11-01
0
see_website (5876)
7/2/2013 7:25:53 PM
On 02/07/13 22:25, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>
>
>> Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>> times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.
>
> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM. What should he type to find out what
> he has?

He already typed "uname -a" which gave him all the information he could
wish for in this case. In particular, the output told him that his
kernel was a 64bit kernel.

It is possible to run odd combinations of a 64Bit kernel and a 32 Bit
userland. However, to the best of my knowledge Ubuntu doesn't support
that. Hence, we should assume that he runs 64Bit userland. Hence,
apt-get installed the 64bit openjdk.

Regards,
   Sven
On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>
>
>> Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>> times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.
>
> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.

That would be very stupid.

As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
memory.

>                                   What should he type to find out what
> he has?

That was actually part of OP's post!

Arne

0
arne6 (9808)
7/3/2013 1:44:12 AM
Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:

>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.

> That would be very stupid.
> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
> memory.

There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
0
On 03/07/13 17:53, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.
>
>> That would be very stupid.
>> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
>> memory.
>
> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Arne understood the comment of Roedy differently: he thinks that Roedy
meant package manager when saying "OS installer". In result, Arne
thought was thinking that Roedy was suggesting that the package manager
should install 64Bit Java if RAM > 4GB.
On 7/3/2013 10:53 AM, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.
>
>> That would be very stupid.
>> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
>> memory.
>
> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Roedy's wording is a bit "fuzzy".

But given the topic of the thread "why a 64 bit JDK can be installed
on 32 bit OS" then I assumed that it was about installing Java not
about installing Linux.

Furthermore I believe with Ubuntu you explicit pick 32 or 64
bit version to install.

But given the post Roedy did reply to then it could be Linux
he meant.

Arne

0
arne6 (9808)
7/4/2013 2:31:51 AM
On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE kernel
on 64 bit hardware. Each process runs in 32 bit task space with the
kernel looking after the higher order buts in the address registers.

If you have 32 bit code that you need to run, this will do it. And, if
you have no need to run freshly compiled processes with multi gigabyte
memory requirements, they'll run too and be a bit smaller thanks to their
shorter addresses.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 20:47:54 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
>> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.
> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE kernel
> on 64 bit hardware.

How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read what
you responded to.

Liebe Gruesse,
		Joerg

ungelesen.
0
joergmmeier (195)
7/4/2013 9:08:01 PM
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 20:47:54 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>>> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
>>> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.
>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>
> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
> what you responded to.

Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its
dealing with a PAE kernel and install a 32 bit JRE. However, as the OP is
actually using a 64bit kernel, not surprisingly, he got a 64 bit JRE
installed.

In any case, I was deliberately OTT because I was explaining to Sven that
its perfectly possible to run a 32 bit OS on 64bit iron and not entirely
stupid to do it either.

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> writes:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:
>>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>>
>> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
>> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
>> what you responded to.
>>
> Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
> kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its

The OS installer installs the OS, and if it has chosen a 64-bit version,
there will be no PAE kernel installed.
OTOH, you often choose the OS version (including bitness) by choosing
a specific installation media, and that is done before starting
the installer.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
0
On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 21:42:58 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:
>>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
>> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
>> what you responded to.
> Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
> kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its
> dealing with a PAE kernel and install a 32 bit JRE. However, as the OP is
> actually using a 64bit kernel, not surprisingly, he got a 64 bit JRE
> installed.

If you read what Jukka said, it's clear that he is talking about the thing
that installs the OS, because otherwise his sentences doesn't even make
internal logical sense - if he was talking about an application installer,
how would that have any effect on what OS would be installed ?

> In any case, I was deliberately OTT because I was explaining to Sven that
> its perfectly possible to run a 32 bit OS on 64bit iron and not entirely
> stupid to do it either.

Which is why I added "While what you said is true".

Liebe Gruesse,
		Joerg

ungelesen.
0