javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message

I am trying to instantiate a simple SSL client socket(connection to an
SSH port on a linux host (port 22) but get the below exception :
"javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext
connection?".

I am using the default factory (javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory) to
create the SSLSocket (javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket). I am not enabling any
specific cipher suite. I tried enabling each of the protocols
(SSLv2Hello, SSLv3, TLSv1) separately - but still the same problem.

I put some debug print statements to print the enabled cipher suites
and I notice the most common cipher suites are indeed enabled :

SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5
SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
SSL_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA
SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5
SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
SSL_DHE_DSS_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA

Any help is appreciated.

0
rthittai (1)
12/22/2004 4:57:41 PM
comp.lang.java.security 1502 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Ranga" <rthittai@telcordia.com> said:
>I am trying to instantiate a simple SSL client socket(connection to an
>SSH port on a linux host (port 22) but get the below exception :
>"javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext
>connection?".

Ok. SSH is not SSL, and vice versa. There are some common cryptographic
algorithms used in both, but the actual protocols are not interoperable.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland
Juha

But I believe there is an FTP service running on this port (22) on this
linux host that I am trying to connect to. Wouldn't that be sftp?
If it is sftp, then should I not be able to connect to it using an SSL
socket?

Or is an FTP service running on SSH not equivaltent to the ubiquitous
"sftp"?

-Ranga

Juha Laiho wrote:
> "Ranga" <rthittai@telcordia.com> said:
> >I am trying to instantiate a simple SSL client socket(connection to
an
> >SSH port on a linux host (port 22) but get the below exception :
> >"javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext
> >connection?".
>
> Ok. SSH is not SSL, and vice versa. There are some common
cryptographic
> algorithms used in both, but the actual protocols are not
interoperable.
> --
> Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland
> (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++@ L+++ E- W+$@ N++ !K w !O !M
>          PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D G e+ h---- r+++
y++++

Ranga