Does this existing anywhere in the world? (javascript download progress meter)

Hello,

I've read quite a bit of discussion on different approaches of how to
create a download progress meter that can be implemented into a Web
site.  I understand that by the very nature of the way the download
transport is handled that this cannot "automatically" be done...
upload progress meters exist, but not download.  However, I've seen
different theories on how it could be done if one knows the file size.
 Is anyone aware of a working download meter script

written in JavaScript?

Sincerely,

Julia
0
julia4_me

<DHTML crosspost snipped>

"Julia Briggs" <julia4_me@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've read quite a bit of discussion on different approaches of how to
> create a download progress meter that can be implemented into a Web
> site.

Downloading what? The web page or a file?

If the former then the page has to be downloaded before the javascript runs.
By the time you get to report on it it has already happened.

If the latter then the download process is not even handled by the browser,
it is hived off to a seperate process. Any javascript running in the web
page has no knowledge of this process.

Besides, the download process itself has a progress bar.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Cheers
Richard.

0
rf

> I want to have users who download large PDF documents that are
> normally automatically loaded into the browser presented with a
> download progress bar.

By the time the browser has launched the adobe plug in and given it control
so it can download the pdf your web page is long gone. The web page being
displayed now is the one containing the pdf (well, the plug in anyway).

Even if you could somehow stay there (by for example loading the pdf into a
second frame while your javascript lives in a first frame) there is no way
you can interrogate the adobe plug in to determine how much it has loaded.
Even adobe may not know how big the file is. A server is not obliged to
provide this information. I doubt that adobe would even care. It would just
read the file till it got to the end of it.

You are better off putting something on your page, near the link, like

Your viewer will have some idea about how long such a download should take.

Cheers
Richard.

0
rf

Does this existing anywhere in the world? (javascript download progress meter) #2
Hello, I've read quite a bit of discussion on different approaches of how to create a download progress meter that can be implemented into a Web site. I understand that by the very nature of the way the download transport is handled that this cannot "automatically" be done... upload progress meters exist, but not download. However, I've seen different theories on how it could be done if one knows the file size. Is anyone aware of a working download meter script written in JavaScript? Sincerely, Julia ...

javascript within a javascript
Hello, I have a multi-frame page. The frames are named Frame_1, Frame_2 and Frame_3. Frame_1 has a drop down box. When a value is selected in this drop down box, Frame_2 is updated using an asp file (as I have to read from a back-end access database). In turn in the asp file, I have a Body onload tag to execute a javascript function within Frame_2. this function updates the contents of Frame_3. Till now this is working fine. Here is the problem. Frame_3 has a form with a radio button. When a radio button is selected, I want that a function be executed in Frame_3. However since conte...

JavaScript:Download
Can somebody help me write a JavaScript that will allow a download dialog to display then download the selected file (regardless of the file type). That way, they won't open a word on the computer they will download it. They won't open a picture or an Excel spread sheet... it will all download. I don't want to use a zip program because of the many folks that can't seem to grasp unzipping files (go figure). Thanks " JCO" <J.Oliviero@verizon.net> wrote in message news:d_Isd.1020$Af2.212@trnddc06... > Can somebody help me write a JavaScript that will allo...

dynamic load javascript from javascript
hi, from here: http://www.activewidgets.com/javascript.forum.6114.15/dynamic-load-javascript-from-javascript.html there is a method to load js from js, e.g. //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- var script = document.createElement('script'); script.type = 'text/javascript'; script.src = 'snip.js'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this method works great, but there is a bug(?) when using wit...

Javascript and IE? Javascript and C#?
While my question might be simple, the environment around it is terribly messy and so I will try to keep this clear and simple by only including the relevant code - however, as I will soon suggest, I worry that the problem isnt in what would seem to be the relevant code but instead is lost somewhere in the do-and-donts of the peripheral code. So at the end, i'll try to include all the affected code and you can see if any of its actually relevant. I know there is a lot going on... sorry, but I tried to write this clearly. So here is what I imagine to be relevant. I'm working with a pa...

javascript
Hi all I wounder if some one can help me i have to write a program that sums numbe3rs together using a for loop. The numbers are 1 to 10 then one to 20 then 1 to 10,000. // A program for summing numbers from one to biggestNumber Var biggestNumber; Var theSum = 0; its got to start like this. Im having problems with this one viicki -- v davies Message posted via JavaKB.com http://www.javakb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/java-tools/200512/1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:27:29 GMT, "vicki via JavaKB.com" <u16404@uwe> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >// A program fo...

JavaScript
If I have Options/ViewingMail/AllowExecutables unchecked does Eudora strip out the JavaScript? Or just refuse to execute it? TIA... Bob "Bob Bailey" <ebiz@usa.net> wrote in message news:rfOdnaRVycZZNzXenZ2dnUVZ_v-dnZ2d@rcn.net... > If I have Options/ViewingMail/AllowExecutables unchecked does Eudora strip > out the JavaScript? Or just refuse to execute it? OK. I've answered my own question but that begs a new one. (Eudora strips the JS.) Having allowed Executables it only works if I open, not preview, the message and then it insists on ope...

Javascript
Hello people, I'm trying to make a regional map in html and javascript, I'm sure how to d= o the following: to hover over the city, he should change the city's image with another clea= rer, and clicking in the city he should get a darker color than the picture= when we hover. Until there all right, but when I click it gets darker image and move the m= ouse in another city he immediately removes the dark image and return to th= e clearer picture. How to keep the image when I click on it and still the effect of passing th= e mouse? --------------------- the other t...

Javascript
Would anyone know whether Javascript works well with sound files? Tina Host wrote: > Would anyone know whether Javascript works well with sound files? Exactly as well as it works with files of any other type. -- |_ CJSonnack <Chris@Sonnack.com> _____________| How's my programming? | |_ http://www.Sonnack.com/ ___________________| Call: 1-800-DEV-NULL | |_____________________________________________|_______________________| ...

Javascript
Recently, I have had the role of being the Javascript guru at work. You know, one peeve I have about COLA is that it seems too oriented around client applications, when the the majority of the world is about Web applications. We talk about OO -- but javascript has always been there. As has DOM, and DHTML. A web developer is a fully OO programmer. In article <5%LCb.2953$Pg1.2136@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> John Bailo <ten@lnilhtrea.oliabaj> wrote: >Recently, I have had the role of being the Javascript guru at work. For single man garage business, you sure have. ...

JavaScript
Guys, anybody know if is possible "to press" a button linked a javascript function using python? My Firefox send something like that: POST /msgs.aspx TOKEN=B8B83BGDBC191B9FE0A0BE1393294FAB&sig=gpaiOqbp0Nr %2BoecRLF4FGGDOAao %3D&toUserId=1331299&rawAddedDate=1188546666&fromUserId=23029&Action.delete=Send +data python has modules for forms and other things... and for it? Thank you for help... zowtar >python has modules for forms and other things... and for it? Check out httplib and urlib2, it might be useful for you. Hi! I know "how to", but o...

javascript
Cut'n'paste from "my" ticket 202 at www.ecomstation.com as they seem to have come to a halt... :-( ################################ Recenty I went from w4 fp17 to eCS 1.2. I get the odd behavior described beneath. Both boxes sees, and uses the same installations and user profiles. Clean install(s) of both Moz and FF has been done several times. Starting FF or Moz clean (no userprofiles), doesn't make any differnce. FIREFOX: The Weather extension i.e doesn't show it's 'mouseover' info, and it refreshes slow. Unit change which ...

JavaScript
Javascript has it's own significance Amit Patel wrote: > Javascript has it's own significance Mr Patel, Stop using that stuff, it's bad for your brains. :P "Amit Patel" <amit2749@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5f04ccb8.0401210427.3f93300c@posting.google.com... | Javascript has it's own significance It also has it's own group.. news:comp.lang.javascript ...

Extract links from Javascript (not using Javascript)?
I am looking for a method to extract the links embedded within the Javascript in a web page: an ActiveX component, or example code in C++/Pascal/etc. I am looking for a general solution, not one tailored to a particular page/script. Hopefully, the problem can be solved without recreating a complete Javascript interpreter. Any ideas? <chrisspencer02@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1148670236.974770.107310@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I am looking for a method to extract the links embedded within the > Javascript in a web page: an ActiveX component, or example code in >...

Web resources about - Does this existing anywhere in the world? (javascript download progress meter) - comp.lang.javascript

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
programming styles. JavaScript was formalized in the ECMAScript language standard and is primarily used in the form of client-side JavaScript ...

... editor - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Tools/Obfuscators Description Top : Computers : Programming : Languages : JavaScript ...

JavaScript
The Facebook SDK for JavaScript provides a rich set of client-side functionality for adding Social Plugins, making API calls and implementing ...