Javascript to make a page your home page

Hello,

I'd like to find out if the following can be done.

When someone comes to my site I would like to check to see if their
homepage is set to my site.  If it is then nothing is done.  If it is
not then I'd like a link to appear that asks if they'd like to set
their home page to my site.

Can this be done?  If so can someone post the code to do it?

Thanks,

Sean

http://www.Aquaria.Info
http://www.CleanLiving.com
http://www.DigFishDig.com

0
un1xg33k (6)

un1xg33k@gmail.com wrote:
> When someone comes to my site I would like to check to see if their
> homepage is set to my site.  If it is then nothing is done.  If it is
> not then I'd like a link to appear that asks if they'd like to set
> their home page to my site.
>
> Can this be done?  If so can someone post the code to do it?

Check the source of the Google index page (IE only);

JW

0
Janwillem
2/14/2006 9:19:36 PM
un1xg33k@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to find out if the following can be done.
>
> When someone comes to my site I would like to check to see if their
> homepage is set to my site.  If it is then nothing is done.  If it is
> not then I'd like a link to appear that asks if they'd like to set
> their home page to my site.
>
> Can this be done?

I hope not.

Pages offering links to "set the current page as your home page" have,
thankfully, almost compeltely disappeared over the last few years.

> If so can someone post the code to do it?

I suspect that any such code will only work in certain browsers.  I'd
like to see it too - any browser that allows script access to the home
page URL by default would be one to avoid.  Any browser that allows
script, by default, to set the home page to some value would be one to
put on a black list of browsers to be completely avoided.

--
Zif
0
Zif wrote:
> un1xg33k@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to find out if the following can be done.
>>
>> When someone comes to my site I would like to check to see if their
>> homepage is set to my site.  If it is then nothing is done.  If it is
>> not then I'd like a link to appear that asks if they'd like to set
>> their home page to my site.
>>
>> Can this be done?
>
> I hope not.
>
> Pages offering links to "set the current page as your home page" have,
> thankfully, almost compeltely disappeared over the last few years.
>

>> If so can someone post the code to do it?
>
> I suspect that any such code will only work in certain browsers.  I'd
> like to see it too - any browser that allows script access to the home
> page URL by default would be one to avoid.  Any browser that allows
> script, by default, to set the home page to some value would be one to
> put on a black list of browsers to be completely avoided.

I just upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2006 yesterday, and notice that it
includes a home-page-resetting blocker for IE.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--
John W. Kennedy said the following on 2/14/2006 7:51 PM:
> Zif wrote:
>> un1xg33k@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to find out if the following can be done.
>>>
>>> When someone comes to my site I would like to check to see if their
>>> homepage is set to my site.  If it is then nothing is done.  If it is
>>> not then I'd like a link to appear that asks if they'd like to set
>>> their home page to my site.
>>>
>>> Can this be done?
>>
>> I hope not.
>>
>> Pages offering links to "set the current page as your home page" have,
>> thankfully, almost compeltely disappeared over the last few years.
>>

>>> If so can someone post the code to do it?
>>
>> I suspect that any such code will only work in certain browsers.  I'd
>> like to see it too - any browser that allows script access to the home
>> page URL by default would be one to avoid.  Any browser that allows
>> script, by default, to set the home page to some value would be one to
>> put on a black list of browsers to be completely avoided.
>
> I just upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2006 yesterday, and notice that it
> includes a home-page-resetting blocker for IE.

I tested Norton a few weeks ago. The only problem it found? It had a
major red-flag that I had a virus *and* a trojan. It's proof? My
homepage had been set (by me no less) to about: blank and according to
Norton that was resounding proof that I had a trojan and a virus.

I trust Norton as far as it takes me to click the "Uninstall this junk"
button on it.

--
Randy
Randy

> John W. Kennedy said the following on 2/14/2006 7:51 PM:
> > Zif wrote:

> >> I hope not.
> >>
> >> Pages offering links to "set the current page as your home page" have,
> >> thankfully, almost compeltely disappeared over the last few years.

> >> I suspect that any such code will only work in certain browsers.  I'd
> >> like to see it too - any browser that allows script access to the home
> >> page URL by default would be one to avoid.  Any browser that allows
> >> script, by default, to set the home page to some value would be one to
> >> put on a black list of browsers to be completely avoided.
> >
> > I just upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2006 yesterday, and notice that it
> > includes a home-page-resetting blocker for IE.
> >

> I tested Norton a few weeks ago. The only problem it found? It had a
> major red-flag that I had a virus *and* a trojan. It's proof? My
> homepage had been set (by me no less) to about: blank and according to
> Norton that was resounding proof that I had a trojan and a virus.
>
> I trust Norton as far as it takes me to click the "Uninstall this junk"
> button on it.

I have norton, I've set my homepage to about:blank and it didn't do it
for me.

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "I Am The Law" -- Anthrax

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

0
trippy