does PHP read left to right or right to left?

I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable
called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image
for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But
when I do this:

<?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?>

showThumbnail is telling me that it is not being given a file name, and
currentImage is printing the file name to the screen. How is that
possible? What is the right way to do this?

0
lkrubner (905)

lawrence k wrote:
> I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable
> called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image
> for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But
> when I do this:
>
> <?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?>
>
> showThumbnail is telling me that it is not being given a file name, and
> currentImage is printing the file name to the screen. How is that
> possible? What is the right way to do this?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. currentImage was echoing its result to the
screen instead of returning it.

0
lkrubner (905)
5/22/2006 5:18:11 AM
lawrence k wrote:

> I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable
> called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image
> for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But
> when I do this:
>
> <?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?>

currentImage() will execute before showThumbnail().

When you say "prints what it finds", do you really mean "returns what it
finds"? If you're not 100% sure of what the difference between these two
phrases is, then post the source code for currentImage().

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me  ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

Toby Inkster wrote:
> lawrence k wrote:
>
> > I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable
> > called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image
> > for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But
> > when I do this:
> >
> > <?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?>
>
> currentImage() will execute before showThumbnail().
>
> When you say "prints what it finds", do you really mean "returns what it
> finds"? If you're not 100% sure of what the difference between these two
> phrases is, then post the source code for currentImage().

Sorry, I was an idiot. currentImage was using echo instead of returning
the string I expected it to return

0
lkrubner (905)