sending mail otherthan mail()

Hello everyone,

My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I
need to send emails using php. Can anyone guide me to the best method
of sending emails using php without using mail().

If there is any tweak to be done at the server level I will be able to
convince the admin. The server has linux Enterprice edition 3 with php
4.3.11 and cpanel/whm.

Please guide me to the method and i will be able to collect other
information about it from google.

Thanks
Jaunty Edward

smilesinblues@gmail.com wrote:
> My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I
> need to send emails using php. Can anyone guide me to the best method
> of sending emails using php without using mail().

So getting an alternative to mail() will simply circumvent the
"antispam fix".

On unix, mail() is nothing more than a wrapper to a local sendmail
program, on win32 it's a wrapper that communicates to a smtp daemon.

So either you can do yourself (exec()/sockets) or use on of the classes
to be found on the usual sites (phpclasses/hostscritps)...

0
partmapsswen (295)
5/27/2005 10:24:23 AM
Thank daniel,

are you saying that if i will use classes like libmail. I will be able
to send emails using php.

I don't know what the server admin is going to do with the spam
problem. But will I be able to send emails using classes.

Thanks once again.
Jaunty

smilesinblues@gmail.com wrote:
> are you saying that if i will use classes like libmail. I will be able
> to send emails using php.

Like, libmail itself uses mail() to actually send the mail.  Searching
for smtp at phpclasses.org, shows some that might be usefull to you,
first one (http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/14.html) can connect
to any smtp daemon you have access to.

Also there is a call to local sendmail example on
http://nl3.php.net/popen (webmaster at elcurriculum dot com 09-Dec-2004
09:05), which IMHO would be the preffered method (if possible).

> I don't know what the server admin is going to do with the spam
> problem. But will I be able to send emails using classes.

A better solution would be to scan outgoing mail.

0
partmapsswen (295)
5/27/2005 10:50:10 AM
Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for the links and info. I don't like that site though....

Thanks once again.

Bye