IDLE won't run after installing Python 3.3 in Windows

The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP mach=
ine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully rem=
oved all traces of from the directory and the registry.

I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a comma=
nd window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several Py=
thon programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option of =
'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then nothi=
ng. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD windo=
w, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a fil=
e, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I actu=
ally open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instead.=
 Same deal.

I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by fi=
rewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Howard
0
eglowstein

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:26:51 PM UTC+3:30, eglows...@gmail.com wrot=
e:
> The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP ma=
chine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully r=
emoved all traces of from the directory and the registry.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a com=
mand window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several =
Python programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option o=
f 'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then not=
hing. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD win=
dow, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a f=
ile, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I ac=
tually open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instea=
d. Same deal.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by =
firewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Howard

0
behrooz
2/18/2014 3:47:57 PM

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

   Switch to Gnu/Linux.    <sorry, couldn't resist>

Which version of tcl/tk is installed.  I would guess that tkinter is honked up somehow... did you clear up the old tkinter stuff?

0
Mark
2/19/2014 4:56:53 PM
On 19/02/2014 16:56, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
>>
>     Switch to Gnu/Linux.    <sorry, couldn't resist>
>
> Which version of tcl/tk is installed.  I would guess that tkinter is honked up somehow... did you clear up the old tkinter stuff?

The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
the Python msi installer.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---

Mark
2/19/2014 5:10:24 PM

> The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
>
> the Python msi installer.

Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the new version from running correctly?

0
Mark
2/19/2014 5:30:11 PM
On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
>>
>> the Python msi installer.
>>

> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the new version from running correctly?

Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?
Or possibly rr for that matter? :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---

Mark
2/19/2014 5:50:37 PM
On 2/19/2014 12:50 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the
>> new version from running correctly?

> Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
> would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?

Puzzled as to what the problem is.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

0
Terry
2/19/2014 7:00:52 PM
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:00:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 12:50 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>=20
> > On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the
>=20
> >> new version from running correctly?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
>=20
> > would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Puzzled as to what the problem is.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Terry Jan Reedy

I was extremely careful to remove any last bit of evidence in the registry =
that *anything* in the c:\python27 and c:\python33 directories ever existed=
.. After the registry was purged of everything and I deleted the directories=
, I restarted the machine to make sure the registry was read afresh (Window=
s XP is wacky that way) and then did a reinstall of Python 3.3.3. Before in=
stalling anything else, I launched a program by using the 'Edit in Idle' op=
tion. Idle comes up, flashes briefly and exits. The console window never ap=
pears. If I bring up a command window and go into the lib\idlelib directory=
 and specifically start idle with "python idle.py" or "pythons idle.py", I =
get Idle, but no command window. Load a file in if launched with 'python', =
it appears but you can't run it. If you launch with 'pythons', the whole ki=
t & caboodle just exits when you load the file.

That might not help, but that's all I saw. Is there someplace not obvious i=
n the registry where any interesting information is kept?
0
eglowstein
2/19/2014 11:24:14 PM
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM,  <eglowstein.h@gmail.com> wrote:
> The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP ma=
chine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully r=
emoved all traces of from the directory and the registry.

It is not necessary to uninstall previous  versions of Python. They
can live happily together. Not only does it work, it's a supported
configuration. That's what the launcher is for.
Mucking with the registry is generally inadvisable. It's too easy to
make a mistake.
If you do decide to uninstall a Python version, do it through the
Control Panel. If that results in problems, submit a bug report.

> I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a com=
mand window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several =
Python programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option o=
f 'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then not=
hing. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD win=
dow, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a f=
ile, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I ac=
tually open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instea=
d. Same deal.

> I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by =
firewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
 I would reinstall Python2.7 and then reinstall Python3.3. That may
straighten out your registry. (It may not)
Let us know if that works.
0
David
2/20/2014 2:11:08 AM
Well firstly being windows I assume that you did a restart after install.

Python.org python doesn't come with the windows extensions which can be installed separately.

On windows I use winpython is totally portable and can be installed as system version includes all extensions as well as Numpy and matplotlib etc which can be a bit tricky to install otherwise.

There is enthought and anaconda packaged python a well but my choice is winpython

Give it a try and you'll definitely have a working system version.

Sayth
0
flebber
2/21/2014 7:43:58 AM
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:56:51 AM UTC-6, eglows...@gmail.com wrote:

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Is there any possibility that you are bumping up against open IDLE Issue 14576?

http://bugs.python.org/issue14576

0
Mark