pySerial raw data

I have an outdoor thermometer that transmits to an indoor receiver at 433Mh=
z. I also have a 433Mhz USB serial port jig from a TI development tool. I w=
ould like to use the TI USB serial port to capture the temperature informat=
ion. The TI USB port registers as a COM port that I can access with pySeria=
l. Now the datasheet from the temperature probe only says that the RF frequ=
ency is 433MHz and that it transmits every 39 seconds. Since I don't know w=
hat protocol the thermometer uses or baud rate, I want to look at the rawes=
t level of data collected with the USB com port and see if I can make anyth=
ing out of the gobbledy gook coming in. Is there a way to get this kind of =
data from pySerial? I've tried scanning at different baud rates but so far =
I haven't captured anything.

Also in the advanced settings in windows device manager, there are some set=
tings for Fifo buffers, and receive and transmit buffers. Can these be acce=
ssed in pySerial? Does pySerial override the settings for baud rate, etc in=
 windows device manager or do I need to set those to match what I'm using i=
n pySerial?

Thanks
0
Wanderer

On 2016-12-11 16:28, Wanderer wrote:
> I have an outdoor thermometer that transmits to an indoor receiver at 433Mhz. I also have a 433Mhz USB serial port jig from a TI development tool. I would like to use the TI USB serial port to capture the temperature information. The TI USB port registers as a COM port that I can access with pySerial. Now the datasheet from the temperature probe only says that the RF frequency is 433MHz and that it transmits every 39 seconds. Since I don't know what protocol the thermometer uses or baud rate, I want to look at the rawest level of data collected with the USB com port and see if I can make anything out of the gobbledy gook coming in. Is there a way to get this kind of data from pySerial? I've tried scanning at different baud rates but so far I haven't captured anything.
>
> Also in the advanced settings in windows device manager, there are some settings for Fifo buffers, and receive and transmit buffers. Can these be accessed in pySerial? Does pySerial override the settings for baud rate, etc in windows device manager or do I need to set those to match what I'm using in pySerial?

What is the make and model of the thermometer? Is the datasheet online
somewhere?

0
MRAB
12/11/2016 5:51:43 PM
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 12:52:04 PM UTC-5, MRAB wrote:
> On 2016-12-11 16:28, Wanderer wrote:
> > I have an outdoor thermometer that transmits to an indoor receiver at 4=
33Mhz. I also have a 433Mhz USB serial port jig from a TI development tool.=
 I would like to use the TI USB serial port to capture the temperature info=
rmation. The TI USB port registers as a COM port that I can access with pyS=
erial. Now the datasheet from the temperature probe only says that the RF f=
requency is 433MHz and that it transmits every 39 seconds. Since I don't kn=
ow what protocol the thermometer uses or baud rate, I want to look at the r=
awest level of data collected with the USB com port and see if I can make a=
nything out of the gobbledy gook coming in. Is there a way to get this kind=
 of data from pySerial? I've tried scanning at different baud rates but so =
far I haven't captured anything.

> > Also in the advanced settings in windows device manager, there are some=
 settings for Fifo buffers, and receive and transmit buffers. Can these be =
accessed in pySerial? Does pySerial override the settings for baud rate, et=
c in windows device manager or do I need to set those to match what I'm usi=
ng in pySerial?

> What is the make and model of the thermometer? Is the datasheet online=20
> somewhere?

http://global.oregonscientific.com/manual/THN132N.pdf
0
Wanderer
12/11/2016 9:29:38 PM
Wanderer <wanderer@dialup4less.com> writes:
> I also have a 433Mhz USB serial port jig from a TI development
> tool.... The TI USB port registers as a COM port that I can access
> with pySerial.

If the TI jig has 433 mhz (LORA?) at one end and serial at the other,
you have to find the port parameters in the docs for the TI jig, not the
thermometer.

If you don't have docs you can often figure out the right settings by
trial and error.  If not, the direct approach is to use an oscilloscope.
0
Paul
12/11/2016 9:36:58 PM
On 2016-12-11 21:29, Wanderer wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 12:52:04 PM UTC-5, MRAB wrote:
>> On 2016-12-11 16:28, Wanderer wrote:
>> > I have an outdoor thermometer that transmits to an indoor receiver at 433Mhz. I also have a 433Mhz USB serial port jig from a TI development tool. I would like to use the TI USB serial port to capture the temperature information. The TI USB port registers as a COM port that I can access with pySerial. Now the datasheet from the temperature probe only says that the RF frequency is 433MHz and that it transmits every 39 seconds. Since I don't know what protocol the thermometer uses or baud rate, I want to look at the rawest level of data collected with the USB com port and see if I can make anything out of the gobbledy gook coming in. Is there a way to get this kind of data from pySerial? I've tried scanning at different baud rates but so far I haven't captured anything.
>> >
>> > Also in the advanced settings in windows device manager, there are some settings for Fifo buffers, and receive and transmit buffers. Can these be accessed in pySerial? Does pySerial override the settings for baud rate, etc in windows device manager or do I need to set those to match what I'm using in pySerial?
>> >
>> What is the make and model of the thermometer? Is the datasheet online
>> somewhere?
>
> http://global.oregonscientific.com/manual/THN132N.pdf

That datasheet says """This product is compatible with various wireless
weather station products."""

OK, so that suggests that there's a standard of some kind somewhere.

Googling for """wireless weather station protocol""" gives:

Reverse engineering wireless weather stations
hackaday.com/2011/06/13/reverse-engineering-wireless-weather-stations/

and that page leads to:

TX29 Protocol
http://fredboboss.free.fr/articles/tx29.php

Good luck!