is c the best? why does everything else compile to c?

Is it jsut the truth that you have to learn c?
I know almost no programming and want to learn and build killer apps
1 people say use java its the best for getting large complex thgns done
2 learn perl because it has msot code online and great frameworks and
is faster to develop than java
3 learn clisp becauase it has most power and real macros
4 learn haskell because it has lazy evaluation and strong types
eliminate errors
5 learn ruby because it maximizes programming ease and has good
libraries
6 learn tcl beacuase it is simple and has gui abilities
7 learn smalltalk becasue oo i sbest way to build lareg ssytems
flexibly and oo rocks
8 learn plt scheme because its cleaner than lisp and has killer dev
environment
9 learn APL because it is succinct and amazingly powerful  n fast
10 learn oz because it ahs super light threads and is killer
11 learn sisal because it has concurrency
WTF! mi so confused!

0
bootiack (360)
8/26/2006 4:30:36 AM
comp.lang.scheme 4781 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

gavino wrote:
> Is it jsut the truth that you have to learn c?
> I know almost no programming and want to learn and build killer apps
> 1 people say use java its the best for getting large complex thgns done
> 2 learn perl because it has msot code online and great frameworks and
> is faster to develop than java
> 3 learn clisp becauase it has most power and real macros
> 4 learn haskell because it has lazy evaluation and strong types
> eliminate errors
> 5 learn ruby because it maximizes programming ease and has good
> libraries
> 6 learn tcl beacuase it is simple and has gui abilities
> 7 learn smalltalk becasue oo i sbest way to build lareg ssytems
> flexibly and oo rocks
> 8 learn plt scheme because its cleaner than lisp and has killer dev
> environment
> 9 learn APL because it is succinct and amazingly powerful  n fast
> 10 learn oz because it ahs super light threads and is killer
> 11 learn sisal because it has concurrency
> WTF! mi so confused!

12. Study the theory of computer science, so you'll understand the
principles behind all of those languages.  Try starting at htdp.org.

Also, it might help to read Peter Norvig's "Teach Yourself Programming
in Ten Years": http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html .  See the "recipe for
programming success".

Anton
0
anton58 (1240)
8/26/2006 5:49:52 AM
> 12. Study the theory of computer science, so you'll understand the
> principles behind all of those languages.  Try starting at htdp.org.
>
> Also, it might help to read Peter Norvig's "Teach Yourself Programming
> in Ten Years": http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html .  See the "recipe for
> programming success".
>
> Anton

I agree with Anton. Learn about different programming paradigms,
different algorithms, and different data structures, and then apply
them to any language you learn.

0
hbe123 (329)
8/26/2006 5:54:22 AM
gavino wrote:

It hardly matters which language you learn.

Stop worrying and learn one. Learning the next
will be considerably easier.

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
0
gavino wrote:
> Is it jsut the truth that you have to learn c?

No.   For example, you could become a baker or a
plumber or a farmer or a lousy programmer.  Life
is full of choices.

> I know almost no programming and want to learn and build killer apps

If your goal is to become rich or famous then programming
is probably not the right profession for you.

> 1 people say use java its the best for getting large complex thgns done

Large, complex things of a certain sort, yes.   That is because
it was self consciously designed to "grow" as a language,
accumulating libraries in a lisp-like way.

> 2 learn perl because it has msot code online and great frameworks and
> is faster to develop than java

Learn at least a little perl because it is so popular -- much like
why it is a good idea for many people to learn a little english.
How did perl get to be so popular and so widely used?  What
did it do *right*?   Learn it to contemplate those questions, too.
But don't stop there.

> 3 learn clisp becauase it has most power and real macros

Learn lisp, generally (not just clisp).   Learn the history. Learn
the math.   Lisp is the door to pass through to understand an
analog of a Newtonian theory of the (programming language)
universe.

> 4 learn haskell because it has lazy evaluation and strong types
> eliminate errors

Learn lambda calculus, too.

> 5 learn ruby because it maximizes programming ease and has good
> libraries

or python or lua.   Don't spend a huge amount of time on any
of these unless you have some additional motivation (e.g.,
a good job, etc.).   These languages are unremarkable and
won't advance your craft very much.   They are pragmatically
useful.   You can understand why they came along by
experiencing the shortcomings of, say, AWK and Perl.

> 6 learn tcl beacuase it is simple and has gui abilities

Don't spend a huge amount of time on it without an external
reason.   Perhaps the code is not as clean as it was originally
but, one thing to enjoy about Tcl (at least when Ousterhout
was on top of it) is the lucidity and cleanliness of the code
of the implementation.   From a language perspective, Tcl
is a bit of a mess.

> 7 learn smalltalk becasue oo i sbest way to build lareg ssytems
> flexibly and oo rocks

There is no useful category "large systems".   Avoid religion.
Smalltalk is interesting but not much of a priority.

> 8 learn plt scheme because its cleaner than lisp and has killer dev
> environment

Learn PLT scheme because you should read Dr. K's text
books and work through the examples and exercises.

> 9 learn APL because it is succinct and amazingly powerful  n fast

No.   Learn APL for the same reason you should learn old
and middle english -- to have a sense of the history of
language and to read some "ancient" literature.

> 10 learn oz because it ahs super light threads and is killer
> 11 learn sisal because it has concurrency

Get enough of a clue that you are able to place "fringe" languages
in context.   Delve into those that interest you.

> WTF! mi so confused!

Play.  Have fun.   "Do not let your job get in the way of your work."

-t

p.s.:   Here is one possibility:

1. Learn to program a calculator.
2. Learn some BASIC.
3. Learn some Pascal.
4. Learn some 8088, 6502, and PDP-11 assembly.
5. Learn some lisp and C.
6. Learn some logic programming.
7. Learn some FORTH and implement it yourself.
8. Learn more lisp and C.
9. Learn some smalltalk and C++.
10. Read the "rabbit thesis" and the "lambda the ultimate..." papers.
11. Read Joseph Stoy's book on denotational semantics.
12. Learn Yacc and Lex and read the dragon book.
13. Read Appel on "compiling with continuations"
14. Read alonzo church on lambda calculus.
15. Read Peyton Jones on The Implementation fo Fucntional Programming
Languages
16. Read Neil Jones et al. on Partial Evaluation
18. Read Dr. K's stuff.
19. Implement Scheme
20. Implement sed.
21. Implement a regular expression engine.
22. Implement a parser for context free grammars.
23. Take a stab at implementing hygenic macros in Scheme.
Pascal, C, etc.
(I could go on for another hour but I'm starting to bore even myself
:-)

You need to do all that with concurrent tracks that involve writing
useful and/or fun programs.

Then give me a call.   I might have a job for you :-)

0
lord2845 (83)
8/26/2006 7:51:06 AM
gavino wrote:
> Is it jsut the truth that you have to learn c?

C is not the best, but it's inescapable.  Unix is implemented in C, man
pages for system calls refer to C functions, your language of choice is
probably implemented in C, and C APIs are everywhere.  You will
probably have to deal with C at some point.  You could get away with
not knowing C if you stuck to a very popular language, such as Java or
Perl, where whatever C code you need has probably already been written
by somebody else, and you can count on others who know C to debug the
language implementation.  I'm not so sure you could do this with any
existing Scheme or Lisp implementations.    Of course, it depends on
what you want to do.

The bottom line is that you should learn C, but if you're a newbie
you're better off learning how to program first.  See htdp.org, read
the book and do the exercises.  Don't worry about learning every
language under the sun for now.  The skills required to write a
substantial program without getting hopelessly confused are mostly
transferable from one language to another.

Everything (not everything really, but many things) compiles to C
because it's low-level and fast, but still portable.  You can compile
to assembly instead, which gives you the potential for greater speed,
but then you have to write and maintain backends for different
architectures, which many compiler writers have decided isn't worth the
trouble.

0
rsheridan6 (86)
8/26/2006 2:47:50 PM
Jens Axel S=F8gaard wrote:
> gavino wrote:

> It hardly matters which language you learn.
>
> Stop worrying and learn one. Learning the next
> will be considerably easier.
>
> --
> Jens Axel S=F8gaard

well put.  i have been tryignt o focus for 3 years or more and have not
even learned basics of anything.  aggkk

0
bootiack (360)
8/27/2006 5:23:38 AM
http://www.sigapl.org/whyapl.htm

APL is supposedly AWESOMWE

0
bootiack (360)
8/27/2006 5:38:21 AM
gavino skrev:
> Jens Axel S�gaard wrote:
>> gavino wrote:

>> It hardly matters which language you learn.
>>
>> Stop worrying and learn one. Learning the next
>> will be considerably easier.

> well put.  i have been tryignt o focus for 3 years or more and have not
> even learned basics of anything.  aggkk

If so, you shouldn't worry about the language, but about how
to learn programming.

The best approach for many is to take a course. You will meet
other people in the same situation, and that will be
motivating.

If you decide to study on your own, concentrate on finding a
book that teaches programming (and not a particular programming
language).

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
0

Personally I learned Python first because I was working with a
community of Python users.  Then I started learning other languages and
their uses, but this made it so I could come back and implement
interesting things in Python.  So I had a good sandbox to play with all
the new ideas, rather than have to learn lots of different languages
immediately.  But now I agree with most of the posts here, first learn
a language and the principles of computer science.

gavino wrote:
> Is it jsut the truth that you have to learn c?

No.  A lot of programmers coming out of college nowadays have only done
Java programming.  They don't have much knowledge or skill in lower
level stuff like C, or really nitty gritty stuff like ASM code.  They
go out into industry, get paid to do Java programming, and do just
fine.

> I know almost no programming and want to learn and build killer apps

Oh dear.  I thought you were asking your oodles of questions from a
position of greater experience.  I will now firmly say, QUIT ASKING ALL
THESE QUESTIONS AND GO PROGAM SOMETHING.  You learn programming by
*programming*, not by talking and asking endless questions about it.

> 1 people say use java its the best for getting large complex thgns done

It isn't "the best" for getting large complex things done.  It is,
however, very widely used for that purpose.  If you know Java, you can
definitely get paid to program.  If you know Lisp, it's questionable.
Almost nobody uses Lisp out in industry, so if you're going to seek
Lisp jobs, be prepared to move far, far away from where you currently
live.  Unless you happen to live in Boston or NYC or something, where
the odds are better.

> 2 learn perl because it has msot code online and great frameworks and
> is faster to develop than java

Perl is relevant to Unix system administration and web development.
Not really anything else as far as I know.  So if you want those jobs,
feel free to learn Perl.

> 3 learn clisp becauase it has most power and real macros

"most power" is a silly superfluism, especially for a mere interpreter,
which certainly won't deliver any kind of performance.  "real" macros,
comapred to what, C?  Yeah sure, any Lisp or Scheme has "real" macros
by that basis of comparison.  Macros are indeed worth learning about.
But is it going to get you a job?  Nope.  Does anybody in industry care
about macros?  Nope.

> 4 learn haskell because it has lazy evaluation and strong types
> eliminate errors

Bunch of silly academic rationales.  In the real world, you'll find
lazy evaluation to be a two edged sword, like just about any other
computing paradigm out there.  Strong types only cut down on errors,
programmers still make plenty of errors.

> 5 learn ruby because it maximizes programming ease and has good
> libraries

You know, every language out there says it maximizes something or is
easier or whatnot.  I'm coming to believe that it's mostly bullshit.
Having good libraries is not bullshit though, depending on what you're
doing.  Ruby On Rails for the web is pretty much legendary.  I don't
know how good it really is, but it is legendary, and there's generally
truth behind such legends.

> 6 learn tcl beacuase it is simple and has gui abilities

TCL is archaic and has been eclipsed by other languages.  Don't bother.
 You will be wasting your time.  People nowadays pay for Python, Ruby,
Lua, and Perl, which all do things better than TCL.

> 7 learn smalltalk becasue oo i sbest way to build lareg ssytems
> flexibly and oo rocks

I've met a lot of intelligent programmers who think smalltalk has
important things to say about computerdom.  I respect their opinions; I
have no personal experience with smalltalk to compare it with.  I have
no motive to try it out, as I've seen no evidence whatsoever that
anyone's ever used Smalltalk for 3D game development.  What I hear
about Smalltalk, seems oriented towards GUI programming and perhaps
multimedia stuff.  Not really my bag.

Part of the problem here is that being a clueless beginner, you have no
idea what you want to do.  So I'm going to put you on the spot and
start a new thread about you.  Namely, what do you want to do, Gavino?
No need to answer here, you're gonna have your own thread!

> 8 learn plt scheme because its cleaner than lisp and has killer dev
> environment

Blah blah blah etc. etc. yadda yadda.  The better reason, in your case,
is it has an excellent *educational* environment.  PLT is pretty much
designed as an academic teaching tool, and it looks pretty slick from
that standpoint.

> 9 learn APL because it is succinct and amazingly powerful  n fast

Oh gimme a fuckin' break.  Know what you are?  You're a buzzword
chaser.  A sort of "haute couture" buzzword chaser, looking for the
swankiest buzzwords out there to consume.  That's better than being a
Dilbert buzzword chaser, but let's face it, JUST AS IMPRACTICAL.  GET
CODING, YOUNG MAN.

> 10 learn oz because it ahs super light threads and is killer

No no no no no hit yourself with a cluestick

> 11 learn sisal because it has concurrency

YAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!  Shut up already!  It hurts!  It hurts!

> WTF! mi so confused!

Yes because you've asked enough of the right questions already.  You
are now thoroughly engaged in what's called "The Paralysis Of
Analysis."  You have to stop analyzing and actually *do* something.

Ok, time for your personal thread.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

0
SeaFuncSpam (366)
8/29/2006 6:15:36 AM
Mallor wrote:

> gavino wrote:
>
>>I know almost no programming and want to learn and build killer apps
>

> Oh dear.  I thought you were asking your oodles of questions from a
> position of greater experience.  I will now firmly say, QUIT ASKING ALL
> THESE QUESTIONS AND GO PROGAM SOMETHING.  You learn programming by
> *programming*, not by talking and asking endless questions about it.

And [to gavino, not BVE] if you find you don't really enjoy
programming, then go find something else that really grabs you.
If you're going to such great lengths to avoid writing code,
you probably don't really want to do that.

[snip]

>>3 learn clisp becauase it has most power and real macros
>

> "most power" is a silly superfluism, especially for a mere interpreter,
> which certainly won't deliver any kind of performance.  "real" macros,
> comapred to what, C?  Yeah sure, any Lisp or Scheme has "real" macros
> by that basis of comparison.  Macros are indeed worth learning about.
> But is it going to get you a job?  Nope.  Does anybody in industry care
> about macros?  Nope.

I think gavino may be using the word "clisp" to refer to
generic Common Lisp.  I've seen that a couple of other times
here from newbies (newer bees than me, that is).  'Twould
be a shame if they get the impression that Common Lisp is
nothing but "a mere interpreter" :-)

-- JK
0
jk.usenet (104)

Better C/C++ Than C/C++?
I am looking for a good systems programming language that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications for the language are: * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code binaries (for Windows) * open source - preferable, but not 100% necessary Thanks, Kevin "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> writes: > I am looking for a good systems programming language > that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications > for the language are: > > * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code > binaries (for Windows) Ocaml, D, cyclone, Eiffel, Beta > * open source - preferable, but not 100% necessary what's wrong with using C? Friedrich > what's wrong with using C? Too low level, no built-in garbage collection. -- Kevin "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> writes: >> what's wrong with using C? > > Too low level, Well the Smalltalk people say, have a small language and a big library. I assume C's library status beyond that of Smalltalk. > no built-in garbage collection. Use the Boehm Weisser GC. Friedrich "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> wrote in message news:<2TiYb.237892$rj7.1641209@twister.tampabay.rr.com>... > I am looking for a good systems programming language > that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications > for the language are: > > * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code > binaries (for Windows) > ...

program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler
Hi, I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler. Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru KBG <karthik.balaguru@lntinfotech.com> wrote: > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. No problem, just send $10 to paypal@zevv.nl and I'll do your homework for you. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C KBG said: > Hi, > > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. Can you think of any syntactic differences between C and C++? For example, what about keywords? They are very, very sensitive to syntax. Worth thinking about. -- Richard Heathfield "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999 http://www.cpax.org.uk email: rjh at above domain (but drop the www, obviously) KBG wrote: > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. Have a look at: http://david.tribble.com/text/cdiffs.htm -- mail1dotstofanetdotdk KBG wrote: > Hi, > > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. > For sufficiently recent definitions of "C compiler, the following does the trick, but if this is a homework question it's probably not the answer you want. #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { char * restrict hi = "Hello, world\n"; printf("%s", hi); return 0; } Hi, Loooks interesting. Need to give these and the links a try this weekend :):) ...

Toy scheme compiler written in c or c++
Could anybody suggest some toy/ for learning purposes implementation(interpreter and/or compiler) of scheme (or part of it) written in c or c++ . thanks bobi fireblade <slobodan.blazeski@gmail.com> wrote: > Could anybody suggest some toy/ for learning purposes > implementation(interpreter and/or compiler) of scheme (or part of > it) written in c or c++ . Funny you should ask. I am currently working on a small and simple Scheme interpreter that strives to be easy to understand: http://t3x.org/bits/s9fes/ Note that this is work in progress and not really useful at this stage. -- Nils M Holm <n m h @ t 3 x . o r g> -- http://t3x.org/nmh/ On Mar 26, 5:39 am, "fireblade" <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com> wrote: > Could anybody suggest some toy/ for learning purposes > implementation(interpreter and/or compiler) of scheme (or part > of it) written in c or c++ . > http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html Cheers. On Mar 26, 6:39 am, "fireblade" <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com> wrote: > Could anybody suggest some toy/ for learning purposes > implementation(interpreter and/or compiler) of scheme (or part of > it) written in c or c++ . > > thanks > bobi Have you looked at Tiny Scheme? It's small and easy to understand. Brad On Mar 26, 10:49 pm, nottysym...@yahoo.ca wrote: > On Mar 26, 6:39 am, "fireblade" <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Co...

C compiles, C++ Does Not
I recently installed DJGPP on my system. There was no problem during the install. However I can compile C programs without any problems but when I try to compile a C++ program I get a long list of error messages and the file will not compile. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be ? On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:35:45 GMT in comp.os.msdos.djgpp, charlesreed@eatel.net (Charles Reed) wrote: > I recently installed DJGPP on my system. There was no >problem during the install. However I can compile C programs without >any problems but when I try to compile a C++ program I get a long >list of error messages and the file will not compile. > Can anyone suggest what the problem might >be ? Did you download and install the C++ compiler and library zip files? -- Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis Calgary, Alberta, Canada Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca) fake address use address above to reply charlesreed@eatel.net (Charles Reed) wrote: > I recently installed DJGPP on my system. There was no > problem during the install. However I can compile C programs without > any problems but when I try to compile a C++ program I get a long > list of error messages and the file will not compile. > Can anyone suggest what the problem might > be ? Since you didn't give us the program you tried to compile, nor the error messages you received, it's hard to say. But try this: Cut and paste the...

C++ to C compiler
Hi all. I've made a tool which compiles a C++-like language and produces good old C99 (with some gcc extensions in certain cases). Maybe it can get in the free-compilers list. It is interesting because by studing the -readable- generated C code you an understand how C++ features are implemented. It's also easy to add new features and extensions. The URL is: http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/lwc/index.html It is only known to work on a gcc/gnu-libc system and it is definitelly BETA. The parser is written entirely in C. I'm currently working on a builtin regular expression compiler which produces C code for compile-time regular expressions (faster than perl- more efficient than scanf in the simple ones). Stelios ...

which c/c++ compiler?
Hi all, I'd like to know if Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 can be used for real-time applications. I'm a new user of Matlab and I'm trying to use Simulink and Real-Time Windows Target for acquiring data coming from an accelerometer. I've read in RTWT tutorial that is recommended the use of Microsoft Visual C/C++ or Watcom compiler..... Bye! Hi, Read the solution give at the following link, http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-1BRI9.html?solution=1-1BRI9 Bye! On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:32:21 GMT, Alessandra wrote: >Hi all, >I'd like to know if Microso...

C/C++ in MATALB or MATLAB in C/C++?
Hi I've been asking on the net how to use MEX properly so that I can use C/C++ in MATLAB, but information is not forthcoming. There seems to be a lot on using MATLAB in C/C++ but not the other way around. I understand Mathworks is trying very hard to sell the Matlab Compiler, but even so, why is it SO hard to get information about MEX? Or is it that I've missed something very fundamental, meaning that I'm struggling over something that is actually quite easy? Any thoughts and info would be great. Thanks BullDog BullDog wrote: > Hi > > I've been asking on the net ...

C/C++ in matlab and matlab in C/C++ ?
Is it possible to read C/C++ code in matlab and the other way around too? Hi, as long as C or C++ are written in text files you can edit them in the matlab editor. To see the special character of C or C++ coding language, in the editor go to menus: file>preferences>Edito/Debugger>language and on popup "Language" select "C/C++". This does not allow you to run the C/C++ code, just to view it i nicer way... regards, chris saneman <asdfsdf@asd.com> wrote in message <frl846 $f8i$2@news.net.uni-c.dk>... > Is it possible to read C/C...

C vs. C++ and C compiler optimization question
/* Consider the following C snippet: */ Foo *pFoo = NULL; void FooLength(Foo *pFoo); void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo); void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo); void FooLength(Foo *pFoo) { int count = 0; for (Foo *p = pFoo; *p; p++) ++count; return count; } void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo) { int count = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo) { int count = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } // Consider the following C++ snippet: class FooHelloWorld { public: void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo) { iCount = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo) { // no need to recompute iCount // ... } private: void FooLength(Foo *pFoo) { int count = 0; for (Foo *p = pFoo; *p; p++) ++count; return count; } int iCount; Foo **ppFoo = NULL; }; ---------------------------------------------------------- We could have done the same in C by adding an extra global variable or function parameter. However, global variables tend to pollute, so in C we don't tend to keep too many of them, and too many function parameters can make a function too hard to understand. On the other hand in C++ we can place global variables inside classes so we can cache results easily without the need to pollute the global namespace or pass many arguments around. I wonder if the C compiler could notice that the same count value is being reused and automatically optimize by creating a global ...

C,, C++, Java, C#
I come from C,C++,Java and C#. What can SmallTalk do for me and for what cost? Regarding the Squeak thing, it's interesting though confusing. Is it an IDE? Why are the menus so wacky? "DM McGowan II" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:PLednX2vnLd11IncRVn-rA@comcast.com... > I come from C,C++,Java and C#. What can SmallTalk do for me ...? Ask not what Smalltalk can do for, but what can you do with Smalltalk. :-) In very few words, it significantly reduces time to market, while enhancig the development experience. This is because: 1. It manages the memory for you, so you don't have to allocate/deallocate all the time (the source of some of the most nasty bugs in C). Java and C# learnt that feature from ST. 2. It has single inheritance. 3. All the development is in a single file, called the image, so you don't have to fish for where did you put that missing class. Yet, you don't have to go through thousands of lines of code to find the method you wrote three months ago. 4. It's the language for which it's easier to work within the Agile methodologies. 5. It's strongly typed without being unnecessarily redundant. 6. It's "wacky" interface releases you from the need to use curlys. 7. It comes with a huge library, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel as much. 8. It's debugger is highly integrated and friendly, so the experience of findin...

C, C++ and C# Forums
Throne Software has opened up C, C++ and C# Forums at: http://www.thronesoftware.com/forum/ Join us! Throne Software wrote: > Throne Software has opened up C, C++ and C# Forums at: > > http://www.thronesoftware.com/forum/ For all of your forums newsgroups already exist. > Join us! Why? Don't see any reason to support your marketing. ...

c,c++,obj-c
Of the 3 languages titled in this post is c++ older than obj-c ? Would someone experienced in C be able to dive right into C++ rather than obj-c ? Java is out for me now except applet programming I think I'm going to go with just C and C++. Bill Bill Cunningham wrote: > Of the 3 languages titled in this post is c++ older than obj-c ? Why does that matter? Do you want to use an old language? Try Fortran or LISP. > Would > someone experienced in C be able to dive right into C++ rather than > obj-c ? Not quite dive in, at least not into the OO parts of C++. And using C++ well takes a lot of time. It's vast in both scope and content. > Java is out for me now except applet programming I think I'm > going to go with just C and C++. That's what you have been doing for many years now it seems, and having little success. Why not give Malcolm's MiniBASIC a try? Why not give Malcolm's MiniBASIC a try? Well believe it or not I am pretty fluent in Basic. I taught it to myself when I was about 15 or so. But I want a pretty widely used language that compiles with a compiler. So that's why I am concentrating my efforts so much on C. However long it takes to learn is however long it takes. If I miss something in C that I don't understand I move on to something else learn what I can and can go back and think "Ah so that is what that meant". One think we all need to learn in life in patience....

C, C++ and C# Forums
Throne Software has opened up C, C++ and C# Forums at: http://www.thronesoftware.com/forum/ Join us! ...

c to c++
hi, i was wondering whether its worth converting from c to c++? i'm lazy but if its worth the effort... ______________________ http://monsterbeans.com/ | --------------------------------------- eminhanif@googlemail.com wrote: > hi, > i was wondering whether its worth converting from c to c++? > i'm lazy but if its worth the effort... Rather than participating in the language war flamefest your message invites, I will simply make the most obvious point: it is worth your while to learn any language that will be used in connection with your work. This includes learning a ...

More about C and C++
Hello, I have wrote: >I will resume it like this: >On the criterias of "complexity" and "difficulty", the C and C++ >programming languages are more complex and difficult than Object >Pascal for example, so since they are more complex and difficult they >are likely to create something like a darwinian filter who don't let >the weaker humans among us humans to cross or to climb the social >ladder, this is why i think that C and C++ do participate to social >darwinism, this is why i say that C and C++ are bad. Josep...

C++ to C
Are there any open source C++ compilers that will produce C code? I understand the first C++ compilers operated this way. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:07:19 GMT, "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in comp.lang.c: > Are there any open source C++ compilers that will produce C code? I > understand the first C++ compilers operated this way. C++ compilers are off-topic in comp.lang.c. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c++/faq "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> writes: > Are there any open source C++ compilers that will produce C code? I > understand the first C++ compilers operated this way. You might want to have a look at Comeau - it's not open source, but it's cheap, and AFAIK does exactly what you want (www.comeaucomputing.com) HTH & kind regards frank -- Frank Schmitt 4SC AG phone: +49 89 700763-0 e-mail: frankNO DOT SPAMschmitt AT 4sc DOT com in comp.lang.c i read: >"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> writes: >> Are there any open source C++ compilers that will produce C code? I >> understand the first C++ compilers operated this way. > >You might want to have a look at Comeau - it's not open source, but >it's cheap, and AFAIK does exactly what you want but note ...

More about C and C++
Hello... I have wrote: >I will resume it like this: >On the criterias of "complexity" and "difficulty", the C and C++ >programming languages are more complex and difficult than Object >Pascal for example, so since they are more complex and difficult they >are likely to create something like a darwinian filter who don't let >the weaker humans among us humans to cross or to climb the social >ladder, this is why i think that C and C++ do participate to social >darwinism, this is why i say that C and C++ are bad. Josep...

About C and C++
Hello, I will resume it like this: On the criterias of "complexity" and "difficulty", the C and C++ programming languages are more complex and difficult than Object Pascal for example, so since they are more complex and difficult they are likely to create something like a darwinian filter who don't let the weaker humans among us humans to cross or to climb the social ladder, this is why i think that C and C++ do participate to social darwinism, this is why i say that C and C++ are bad. Thank you, Amine Moulay Ramdane. ...

What After C and C++?
First it was C, then C++, what comes next? "Penna Elabi" <terebinthus@go.com> wrote in message news:77081966.0311290846.3d5a7064@posting.google.com... > First it was A whole bunch of computer languages, then >C, then a whole bunch more computer languages, then >C++, what comes next? A whole bunch more. So what? Did you have a question about C++ (which is the *only* topic here) ? -Mike "Penna Elabi" <terebinthus@go.com> wrote... > First it was C, then C++, what comes next? Who cares? This newsgroup is concerned with C++, not with what c...

C or C++?
Hi, I am a newbie to programming, and sorry again that I have to ask the C or C++ questions. Is C required before learning C++? And become better in C does it also make you a better C++ programmer? Or that to be a C+ + programmer, it's better not to have any knowledge of C and start a new in the C++ way as some books suggest? weidongtom@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am a newbie to programming, and sorry again that I have to ask the C > or C++ questions. Is C required before learning C++? No. And become better > in C does it also make you a better C++ programmer? Not n...

Is this C or C++?
Simple question. If the task is (for example): "Write a C++ program which asks user his name (less than 20 chars) and prints it." Then, is this code a correct answer: char name[100]; cout<<"Your name?"<<endl; cin>>name; cout<<name<<endl; The point being, that the code uses C string "char name[]" and not C++ std::string. C is a subset of C++, so isnt it logically speaking a C++ program? On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:44:40 -0000, "crea" <no@com.notvalid> wrote: >Simple question. If the task is (for example): >"Write a C++ program which asks user his name (less than 20 chars) and >prints it." > >Then, is this code a correct answer: > >char name[100]; >cout<<"Your name?"<<endl; >cin>>name; >cout<<name<<endl; > >The point being, that the code uses C string "char name[]" and not C++ >std::string. >C is a subset of C++, so isnt it logically speaking a C++ program? The belief that C is a proper subset of C++ is the source of many misconceptions. The fact that cin supports reading into a char array is what makes the code legal C++. Whether using a std::string would make it more of a C++ program is a philosophical discussion. -- Remove del for email "Barry Schwarz" <schwarzb@dqel.com> wrote in message news:3vnn89l8cb3kr8nj52n9dutjlivp...

C C++
While reading some source code, I saw a variable called "end" of type "time". So I investigated what the type "time" meant and saw that time was a typedef for "Real". So what does "Real" mean? "Real" is a typedef for QL_REAL. So what does "QL_REAL" mean? QL_REAL is type double via the line of code #define QL_REAL double.... "Mallik * G" <gadde.mallik@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7e4a882c-6f46-46eb-aa54-903842fa1b4d@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com... > While reading some source code, I saw a variable cal...

c++/c
hi i have been recently told that there is no exception handling ic c+ +.?? as far as i remember i have read, it has. also java has exception handling for sure but there we can use finally also which we cant use in c ++. what other differences do we have in the two languages c++ and java in exception handling. and which one is better? rupika wrote: > > i have been recently told that there is no exception handling ic > c++.?? You should ask about C in comp.lang.c, about C++ in comp.lang.c++. -- [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> Try the download section. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com ** rupika said: > hi > i have been recently told that there is no exception handling ic c++.?? Distrust your source. C doesn't (except in a very rudimentary signally kind of way), but C++ does. > as far as i remember i have read, it has. It has. See Section 15 of ISO/IEC 14882:1998. > also java has exception handling for sure but there we can use finally > also which we cant use in c ++. You are very likely to find that C++ can in fact do what you want it to do, even if it doesn't do it in quite the same way as Java. > what other differences do we have in > the two languages c++ and java in exception handling. For a full answer, you would do well to consult the language specifications for the languages you're asking about... > and which one is bette...

C or C++
Hi All, I am starting to learn C and am wondering if C++ may be a better choice? The purpose is to do free software development and eventually contribute to existing projects. I believe that a lot of gnome stuff is c and kde stuff tends to be c++ is that correct? what would other people out their recommend. I realize there are lots of different opinions on this but I was just interest to see third party thoughts. Thanks Anthony Anthony Irwin <nospam@noemailhere.nowhere> wrote: > Hi All, > > I am starting to learn C and am wondering if C++ may be a ...

Web resources about - is c the best? why does everything else compile to c? - comp.lang.scheme

Tim Tebow Doesn't Rule Out Running For Office
Tim Tebow is a name that still drives debate in football circles more than three years after he last played an NFL game. Tebow is not dismissing ...

Behind Facebook Messenger's plan to be an app platform
A year ago, Facebook announced at its F8 developer conference that Messenger would evolve into more than just a simple chat app. For one thing, ...

EgyptAir Hijacking Suspect Arrested in Cyprus
A man claiming to wear an explosive vest forced an EgyptAir plane to land in Larnaca, Cyprus, before being arrested. All the passengers have ...

Facebook, Apple, Google, other tech CEOs demand North Carolina repeal anti-LGBT law
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Equality NC just released a letter addressed to North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory, urging him to repeal ...

Sony 4K Streaming Service Ultra Launches Next Month
Sony first announced its new 4K streaming service at the International Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year and the company has revealed ...

March Madness Final Two: Not Being Here To Make Friends Goes Up Against Ordering In
Well, we’re here at a crossroads. This March Madness has been, as predicted , a rough one. “What are we voting for?” cried the confused. “Best? ...

California's $15 minimum wage: Brown defends sudden embrace of wage hike
Gov. Jerry Brown called his proposal to boost California's minimum wage 50 percent over the next six years 'a matter of economic justice' and ...

Oscar-winning actress Patty Duke dies, age 69
(Reuters) - Oscar-winning American actress Patty Duke, widely known for the 1960s show "The Patty Duke Show," died on Tuesday, her representative ...

Here are the brands that appear most in 'Batman v Superman'
"Batman v Superman" had a big opening weekend grossing $420 million worldwide . The superhero epic included surprise appearances not only from ...

How to Build a Replica of Daenerys Targaryen’s Dragon Eggs From Game of Thrones
On the latest episode of the AWE Me show DIY Prop Shop , host Dylan Thomas demonstrates how to build a replica of Daenerys Targaryen ‘s dragon ...