SFRI for Shared Memory

L.S.,

I'm submitting a SRFI concept for Shared Memory access and Semaphores.

Please have a look at it at:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/wiki/wiki.php?page=SRFIs%20-%20Shared%20Memory

--
Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema
0

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> I'm submitting a SRFI concept for Shared Memory access and Semaphores.
>
> Please have a look at it at:
>
> http://www.elemental-programming.org/wiki/wiki.php?page=SRFIs%20-%20Shared%20Memory

Should we follow up to this thread or is there a discussion mailing list?

0
aghuloum (248)
9/13/2004 11:59:11 PM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:59:11 -0500, Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:

> Should we follow up to this thread or is there a discussion mailing list?

No mailinglist yet. The page at:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/wiki/wiki.php?page=SRFIs%20-%20Shared%20Memory

is open for editing however. So you can add your own thoughts.
Please leave yourself in the authors list and prepend your thoughts
with your initials.

Best whishes,

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema

0
hdnews (142)
9/14/2004 7:46:42 AM
L.S.,

I've updated the SRFI at:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/wiki/wiki.php?page=SRFIs%20-%20Shared%20Memory

Best whishes,

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema

0
hdnews (142)
9/14/2004 8:00:24 AM
L.S.,

I must stress the fact that this is an SRFI *PROPOSAL*.

http://www.elemental-programming.org/wiki/wiki.php?page=SRFIs%20-%20Shared%20Memory

Best whishes,

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema

0
hdnews (142)
9/14/2004 1:25:31 PM
May I recommend that you formally submit your document as a SRFI, and
carry out the discussion on the SRFI list that is then automatically
created?

The SRFI process was designed to keep a permanent record of the design
rationale that led to the final version of the SRFI.  The SRFI Web
site should remain in "perpetuity" recording that discussion.

If all the discussion happens elsewhere and the SRFI site contains
only the finalized SRFI, a person who decides to improve on it later
may not have access to the discussion record that led to the decisions
that were eventually recorded in the final document.  Under the
current system, if they can access the SRFI, then they can access its
discussion also.

Please consider using the SRFI process.  It relieves you the pain of
maintaining anything, and improves the quality of the language design
record.

(For this same reason, the SRFI editors have always also discouraged
the use of c.l.s for discussion.)

Many thanks,
Shriram
0
sk1 (223)
9/14/2004 1:26:59 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:26:59 -0400, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:

> May I recommend that you formally submit your document as a SRFI, and
> carry out the discussion on the SRFI list that is then automatically
> created?

Yes, you may. The SRFI is in -proposal- state. As long as it is not
in -draft- state, it can be discussed on this newsgroup, over the email
and on my Wiki.

As soon as it is in draft state, which hopefully will happen soon,
the discussion will be removed from these media.

> Many thanks,
> Shriram

Thank you too,
Hans

0
hdnews (142)
9/14/2004 1:48:46 PM
> I must stress the fact that this is an SRFI *PROPOSAL*.

That must make it an S(RF)^2I. :-)
0
qobi (89)
9/14/2004 7:12:27 PM
Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk@cs.brown.edu> writes:
> May I recommend that you formally submit your document as a SRFI, and
> carry out the discussion on the SRFI list that is then automatically
> created?

In point of fact I am having a private discussion of how to finish
getting it into shape for submission. I expect it to appear as a draft
in the near future.

> The SRFI process was designed to keep a permanent record of the design
> rationale that led to the final version of the SRFI.  The SRFI Web
> site should remain in "perpetuity" recording that discussion.

Absolutely. But there is still an un-addressed issue about how to
conduct 'pre-SRFI' discussions. Various avenues have been tried, but
none have been really satisfactory. Feel free to reply to srfi-discuss
if you have any clever ideas.

> (For this same reason, the SRFI editors have always also discouraged
> the use of c.l.s for discussion.)

Well, IMO, groups.google is a pretty good 'perpetual' record in the
internet age, but to make effective use we'd need to start
subject-tagging our usenet articles.

david rush
--
No problems.  Write again soon.  Here.  In public.  In the clear.
Remember: there is no Scheme Underground.

shared memory base address illegal/out of virtual shared memory
I am getting this error in online.log file. But system is up and running without any problem. Now if I want to restart the database engine, will it come up without any problem. Restarting database engine will solve my problem? IDS ver 7.30UC7. I am getting this message since last 3/4 days at 22:34. 22:32:07 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds. 22:33:43 shmat: [EINVAL][22]: shared memory base address illegal 22:33:43 using 0xeb7a8000, needs 0xffffffff 22:33:43 out of virtual shared memory 22:33:43 shmat: [EINVAL][22]: shared memory base address illegal 22:33:43 using 0xeb7a8000, needs 0xffffffff 22:33:43 out of virtual shared memory 22:33:43 shmat: [EINVAL][22]: shared memory base address illegal 22:33:43 using 0xeb7a8000, needs 0xffffffff Regards, Ruturaj This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual recipient and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. sending to informix-list Not encountered this error fortunately ,however, you might need to check ipcs before restarting the engine. If there are mem seg. attached, you might need to use ipcrm. Remember ipcs and ipcrm are on unix OS. ...

Solaris 10: Increasing the process data space; shared memory segments & intimate shared memory problems
I have a Progress 10 (64 bit) Open Edge DB server running on Solaris 10u1 which runs on an E450 w/4GB of RAM. I have a project and assigned the project as the default for the user to run the db server in. In that project I have the resource project.max-shm-memory = 3GB. There is a startup parameter to the database server (-pinshm) that will lock the shared memory segments into RAM so they are not be paged out. This is the intimate shared memory option in the system call to shmat(). This is the problem I am having: When I start the db server specifying the -pinshm option to lock the segments,...

Shared Memory Programing- deallocation of memory
Hi all I am new to shared memory programing, and I am working on Solaris. I have been successful in using shmget and shmat to share a segment of memory and attach it and access from another program. Now I need to allocate memory dynamically. So I have written a class to allocate memory from the shared segment not from heap. But now I am having the problem when freeing memory because it is going to keep holes in my shared portion. What I have been using was the starting point of the shared memory portion with an offset of which no of bytes have been allocated. with this structure I am ...

Allocating memory in a shared memory environment
Hi all! Happy new year!!! I have a question... If I allocate memory with malloc() using processor X in a shared memory computer, MUST I necessarily deallocate that memory using free() in the same processor X or can I make it using processor Y. (X!=Y) Regards, Diego -- Diego Andres Alvarez Marin wrote: > If I allocate memory with malloc() using processor X in a shared memory > computer, MUST I necessarily deallocate that memory using free() in the > same processor X or can I make it using processor Y. (X!=Y) When using Unix processes or POSIX threads, you can free a pointer using any process. All forked processes and threads share the same heap. Randy -- Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu -- ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow! ---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ---- Diego Andres Alvarez Marin <diegoandresalvarez@lycos.co.uk> wrote: > If I allocate memory with malloc() using processor X in a shared memory > computer, MUST I necessarily deallocate that memory using free() in the > same processor X or can I make it using processor Y. (X!=Y) Almost certainly: Yes. Generally, malloc() doesn't allocate shared memory, but memory local to a given processing node. T...

is is possible to copy shared data to shared memory directly?
Hello experts. In my project, shared data and shared memory are used to communicate. however, occasionally, data is copied to wrong address which is not expected. source address and destination address is exact. and I think it depends on specific data. data transmission procedure is like below A RTP of P1 Processor ----(using Shared Data)----> B Kernel task of P1 Processor ----(using Shared Memory)----> C Kernel task of P2 Processor The problem point is B Kernel task of P1 processor. B Kernel task is like this { ..... memcpy(shared memory address, shared data address,...

shared memory segments
We have an application ( running under control of CICS) running under AIX 4.3.2 . Parameters can be set which specify amount of memory allocated for different usages. I think that the memory is shared memory. The application is also running oracle, which uses shared memory also. How can I be sure that changing the size of memory used for 1 of these usages doesn't overlap memory used for another usage? Specifically, three of the usages are for a Region Pool, a Task Private Pool and a Task Shared Pool .. The documentation for setting the size of the Task Private Pool says: "When increasing the size of this pool, you must consider the physical placement of the memory area in a CICS process virtual memory map in relation to the other areas of memory. On AIX, the physical placement can be controlled by the environment variable LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=o_maxdata. Setting the environment variable in the region environment file ensures that the process heap starts from 0x30000000 and that the segment starting from 0x20000000 is free for the stack and the loadable modules. The o_maxdata value that is set in the environment variable specifies the offset value up to which the memory heap can extend, starting from 0x30000000. This heap will be shared by the Task Private Pool and other memory allocation that come from the heap. For example, setting o_maxdata to 0x20000000 makes 2 segment (512MB) available for the heap and the remainder for shared memory. Setting the value of o_maxdata ...

to Scheme or not to Scheme..
I go through SICP book trying to do it's exercises. Some people recommend to use Scheme for that, so at first I started using Scheme. After a week of frustration I switched back to Common Lisp and I enjoy it and make better progress. I guess I don't have to do the exercises by the letter, but I need to learn general principles. What do you think? Bigos <ruby.object@googlemail.com> writes: > I guess I don't have to do the exercises by the letter, but I need to > learn general principles. What do you think? Generally speaking, that is true, though some e...

shared memory
Why do we need to set shared memory at 64 MB for installation of ASE-12_5. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:06:01 -0700, Rupesh wrote: > Why do we need to set shared memory at 64 MB for installation of > ASE-12_5. Because ASE will try to allocate that much shared memory by default. Michael -- Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/FAQ/linux.html ...

Shared memory
Hello, I'm trying to use the same dynamic area from 2 (or more) processes. I build in some locations I use for locking, so that the other processes don't change things there when that's not appropriate. So I thought I'd be smart and wait for the lock to go away. So I have some code that looks like this: while (blocks[page].claims > 1); But of course the compiler thinks it is a constant, and doesn't bother to check the actual value of the memory. Or at least that's what I expect happens. If I change it to: while (blocks[page].claims > 1) printf ("%i", blocks[page].claims); everything works as expected. Until a newer version of the compiler comes along that optimises that too... Is there any proper way to do this kind of thing? Another thing is that this loop is somewhat processor-entensive. Ideally I'd like to check if the process is running in the taskwindow and then do its sleepingthing, and if not, do it another way. When not in a taskwindow, I could of course do some Wimp_PollIdle-ing, but when in a taskwindow, is there any way to let it go to sleep for a little while? The TaskWindow_Suspend/Resume messages work only if parent decides its child needs to sleep. But that's not the case here... TIA, Jan-Jaap In message <0bebdc794c.Jan-Jaap@jjvdgeer.c2i.net> Jan-Jaap van der Geer <jjvdgeer@zapo.net> wrote: > So I thought I'd be smart and wait for the lock to go away. So I > h...

Shared memory
Hey! Are there any "live" modules for working with shared memory in Python? I found some but they are all dead(posh,shm)... Thanks, Sebastjan mmap? -- @-salutations Michel Claveau Pylinda ? http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~aw/pylinda/ ...

memory share of agilent Osci's segmented memory
Helo! I am using the Instrument Control Toolbox to transfer the power traces in order to make some analysis on matlab. However, I am confused about the Agilent Oscilloscope's segmented memory. because, when I set the number of segment as 200 and the sample number/seg as 5000, i could get 200 segs with 5000 points/segment. But, when I set the number of seg as 400, the sample number/seg is automatically reduced to 4444. I searched some bulletins here, and got some clues that the number of segs has priority over the sample points/seg. Osci will automatically reduce the sampling ...

shared memory
When two processes are using shared memory to communicate, and the CreateFileMapping with PAGE_READWRITE option is used, then are the two processes guaranteed to have serial access to the memory. i.e. if one is writing and one is reading, does the reader get a clean copy of the data. Or, do you have to use mutexes to control access to the shared memory to avoid problems? Thanks. Cary Lewis wrote: > When two processes are using shared memory to communicate, and the > > CreateFileMapping with PAGE_READWRITE option is used, then > > are the two processes g...

shared memory
Is shared memory is part of kernel space ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Userspace The way wikipedia has defined, shared memory is always part of user space. Correct me ,if I am wrong. Although, shared memory has kernel persistent. We always map it to user space. That is why we can access that shared memory without going into kernel. Any comment on this would be appreciated. Thanks shaanxxx wrote: > Is shared memory is part of kernel space ? I'm not sure I understand what getting at but shared memory can also be in kernel space. Consider that all processes ma...

share memory
I nedd to use share memory in Linux. Can I use it in LabVIEW for Linux? Hello Lidia, I'm not sure how this can be done in Linux, so my suggestions are: a) Go here and start a Linux support request: http://www.ni.com/linux/lin_tech.htm b) If performance is not a critical issue, use file i/o as the way to share data. This is easy to implement in case you need a fast solution. Regards, JorgeM. ...I meant abovee a fast answer...not solution normally file i/o will NOT be faster than memory access :-) Regards, JorgeM. ...

Shared memory
Is there any Linux and Windows compatible C/C++ code to create and access shared memory ? In article <42428bb9$0$29448$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, <Yugo> wrote: >Is there any Linux and Windows compatible C/C++ code to create and access >shared memory ? See the man pages on shmget, shmop, shmctl, shmat and shmdt. ...

shared memory?
Hi is is possible to use something like shared memory between two jvm processes? regards tommy Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy@dummy.no> writes: >is is possible to use something like shared memory between two >jvm processes? A database? Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy@dummy.no> writes: > is is possible to use something like shared memory between two jvm > processes? You might want to look at a JavaSpace: http://www.jini.org/wiki/JavaSpaces_Specification It's not quite the same as shared memory in C / C++, but Jini is a very elegant technology. Regards, Patrick ------------------------------------------------------------------------ S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO | systems design and implementation. pjm@spe.com | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA) Patrick May wrote: > Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy@dummy.no> writes: >> is is possible to use something like shared memory between two jvm >> processes? > > You might want to look at a JavaSpace: > > http://www.jini.org/wiki/JavaSpaces_Specification > > It's not quite the same as shared memory in C / C++, but Jini is a very > elegant technology. From what little I know of Jini, I am somewhat surprised that it hasn't taken the Java world by storm. -- Lew Lew <noone@lewscanon.com> writes: > Patrick May wrote: >> Tommy Halsbrekk ...

Avoid memory corruption in shared memory used by several processes? #2
Hi all, I want to make data stored in-memory (not disk) available to several processes. My concern is that poorly written C applications with dangling pointers may(will) damage the data in this memory segment if it is open to all, i.e. shared memory mapped into all processes memory area. I don't want to use TCP/IP client/server between the apps and a data store process due to the overhead. I don't want to start calculating checksums for all updates in a shared memory area, since that means a lot of overhead. Now my question: Is it possible to expose just the interface of a data sto...

How To Make Shared Memory (mmap woun't do it!) Aliased To Pre-Existing C Struct Memory?
Hello, My problem is I am in the process of changing the implimentation of my shared memory. What I want to do is use something such as mmap to access shared memory and to overlay my struct memory onto shared memory. Is it even possible? Do you have a simple coding example that will do this? So, I basically have in old code : struct { int status [300]; float black_box [300]; char message [300 * 4]; } shared_memory; I then use shared_memory.status [0] to access the first element etc. How can I use the dotted identifier "shared_memory" and have it refer to sh...

Shared Memory in Windows
Just a simple performance question for shared memory in Windows... I've started aquainting myself with POSIX and SYSV shared memory in UNIX and I was looking for a Windows equivalent. To my dismay shared memory appears to be backed in the pagefile. Does that mean that I will have overhead due to disk IO? Or is the pagefile actually backed in RAM and only uses pagefile.sys when RAM is exhausted. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >From IDLs SHMMAP documentation Under Micro...

Memory Sharing between Databases
Hi, I am wondering if the bufferpools and agent memory canbe shared within a EE UDB instance (running 7.2 AIX 5 now but going to V8.1). Our business model requires us to add about 1-2 db's per month (one db per customer), and this consume the memory. Some of these dbs are not highly active but once a db is activated, at least the bufferpools are allocated along with the init_pool of agents. Is there a way for bufferpools and agents be shared between databases, like other RDBMS do ? Thank you and look forward to your answers. Selma You could do maximum CPU and memory sharing...

Shared memory question
Below is a simple code using shared memory: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/shm.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #define MY_SHM_ID 999 #define MAX_STRING 5000 typedef struct { int counter; char string[MAX_STRING+1]; char user; } MY_BLOCK_T; int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) { int shmid, ret, i; MY_BLOCK_T *block; char user; if (argc >= 3) { if (!strncmp( argv[1], "use", 3 )) { shmid = shmget( MY_SHM_ID, sizeof(MY_BLOCK_T), (IPC_CREAT | 0666) ); block = (M...

Shared memory corrupted?
We are experiencing the following error, usually during our nightly delete-and-vacuum cycle (when there are very few other connections to the database): 2003-10-30 01:36:59 [25392] LOG: server process (pid 697) was terminated by signal 14 2003-10-30 01:36:59 [25392] LOG: terminating any other active server processes 2003-10-30 01:37:01 [1977] FATAL: The database system is in recovery mode 2003-10-30 01:37:08 [25392] LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores 2003-10-30 01:37:09 [2856] FATAL: The database system is starting up 2003-10-30 ...

Shared memory between servers.
Hi all: I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers?? Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all servers. This could be interesting for cluster app, etc. Any idea? On 24/07/06, pedro.baldanta@gmail.com <pedro.baldanta@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all: > > I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to h...

shared memory #2
On a linux OS I have implemented some c-files accessing shared memory. On a windows platform I run matlab 7. What I would like to do is to create a simulink file (in windows). Then build it to generate a c file, transfer the c-file to my linux environment, compile it with gcc and be able to access the shared memory I already have created. Are there any functions in matlab/simulink that allows me to access an already initialized shared memory? Or do I have to edit the c-file generated? Thanks Bjorn ...

Web resources about - SFRI for Shared Memory - comp.lang.scheme

Shared space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shared space is an urban design approach which seeks to minimise demarcations between vehicle traffic and pedestrians , often by removing features ...

Shared web hosting service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A shared web hosting service or virtual hosting service or derive host refers to a web hosting service where many websites reside on one web ...

Facebook Shuts Down Albania Pirate Group Page, Which Publicly Shared Windows Remote Desktop Logins
While hackers generally keep low profiles and take steps to keep their activities off the radar, one group that called itself the Albania Pirate ...

Crying Tintin: Brussels attacks tribute widely shared after terrorist explosions - #JeSuisBruxelles
THE famous Belgian statue of a peeing boy has become the perfect symbol of resistance in the hours after the devastating Brussels attacks.

Brussels victim 'tolerance' post shared
A woman killed in the suicide bombings in Brussels had warned against demonising Muslims.

I'm glad I shared my mental health struggle, says Buddy Franklin
The AFL&rsquo;s biggest star, Lance Franklin, has described how sharing his mental health battles has instilled in him a genuine sense of self-esteem. ...

iTunes U for iOS adds support for Managed Apple IDs, Shared iPad optimization, & Spotlight Search
... , and today the company’s other educational app iTunes U has been updated with new features. iOS 9.3 includes initial support for the new Shared ...

Taylor Swift shared her family's awesome Easter tradition on Instagram
Taylor Swift likes to keep her fans close by posting every aspect of her life on social media. She's been spending some time with her family ...

Shared Solar Start-Up In Renewed Push To Get PV On Rented Rooftops
... back to their tenants for less than power from the grid, has released a complementary online platform, to help the country’s [&hellip Shared ...

A Switch To Shared Self-Driving Cars Means We’d Buy Fewer Cars, Wear Them Out Faster
... Sure, our cars last for a decade or more, but they also spend most of their time sitting around, not being driven. A constantly operating shared ...