ActiveTcl and site-specific extensions

Has anybody come up with a slick way to add site-specific extensions
to ActiveTcl installations?

We've got ActiveTcl installed on HP-UX and Linux in subdirectories of
/apps/activestate/ which contain both the version number and the
platform type encoded into the path.  They were installed as root, and
we fully expect to be able to upgrade without a hitch.  The plan is to
install the new version next to the old one, test our applications,
then make the switch with a single soft link.

To help keep things clean, we've got a small raft of site-specific
extensions installed in a whole 'nother place.  Our application
scripts make an addition to auto_path to get to those libraries.
Since our extensions are compiled with stubs, I don't expect any
problems from them when we upgrade ActiveTcl.

But the auto_path addition still bothers me a little bit.  It isn't a
big deal in application scripts, but it makes it harder when you just
want to jump into an interactive tclsh and play around with something.
It would be nice if I could add something to ActiveTcl that would add
/sppdg/lib/hpux11 to auto_path at startup.  I know that each user can
define TCLLIBPATH, but I would like something that is automatic for
everybody.

Has anybody solved this elegantly?  (I could always edit init.tcl, I
suppose. :-)

Thanks,
Bob
--
Bob Techentin                   techentin.robert@NOSPAMmayo.edu
Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495

Bob Techentin wrote:

> ...  I know that each user can
> define TCLLIBPATH, but I would like something that is automatic for
> everybody.
>
> Has anybody solved this elegantly?  (I could always edit init.tcl, I
> suppose. :-)

At previous instalations, we had system wide .profile/.bashrc/.cshrc/...
that we set/modified TCLLIBPATH in.

--
| Gerald W. Lester               | "The man who fights for his ideals is |
According to Bob Techentin <techentin.robert@mayo.edu>:
:Has anybody come up with a slick way to add site-specific extensions
:to ActiveTcl installations?

If you set TCLLIBPATH (in csh style path values), then those directories
will be PREPENDED to auto_path at initialization of the tcl interpreter.
--
0
lvirden272 (610)