read excel file from tcl in li

Hi everyone

i wonder if anybody know if there is anyway to read excel file from
tcl in linux?

as tcom work only in windows

Thanks in advance.

On Jan 22, 2:03=A0pm, "m.gad" <mohamedsami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> i wonder if anybody know if there is anyway to read excel file from
> tcl in linux?
>
> as tcom work only in windows
>
> Thanks in advance.

There is a small command-line tool "xls2csv" (in the catdoc package
IIRC) which will convert what can be to CSV. Of course you'll lose
Excel-specific metainformation.
(Beware, there is also a Perl script by the same name, but in my
experience the C one is just fine with fewer dependencies ;-)

-Alex
m.gad wrote:
> i wonder if anybody know if there is anyway to read excel file from
> tcl in linux?
>
> as tcom work only in windows

Newer Excel versions can write in an XML format. This should be fairly
easy to read from Tcl. Just make sure you have the proper file format.

(I haven't really been doing much parsing, but we write lots of Excel
reports from Tcl by just writing some XML. Works great as you can have
all Excel features: just create what you want in Excel, save it as XML,
then open it with an editor to see how Excel actually writes it)

hth
Ronnie