Unable to send mail to external domains. (Am I hosed?)

So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all
configured the way I like and...

I can't send anything.

I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
You@mydomain.com.

I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
You@yourdomain.com.

My /Mercury/Queue directory is chock full of these ominous QIF files
reading:

Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.

Though the IPs change.

At first I thought I had been blacklisted. That's what the messages
here seem to say.

But I checked with MAPS(?) and SpamCop and they say no. Also, I set up
ArgoSoft's mail server product and I can send mail from that. If I
were blacklisted, I shouldn't be able to send mail from any product,
unless I misunderstand something very badly.

So, what is the deal?

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/1/2004 11:23:05 AM
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc 1751 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I don't know anything about Squirrel Mail or how it can interact with
Mercury, but the errors you are getting can be caused by not having
the DNS entries correct.

If they are correct, then your ISP may be blocking port 25 to anybody
but him.  You can verify this by using TELNET to connect to other
peoples mail server's directly on port 25.  Try connecting to
hotmail's mail server by using TELNET.  Use the address
'mx1.hotmail.com' on port 25.  If you don't get a response back almost
instantly, then your port 25 traffic is probably being blocked.

Even if they block port 25 going out, it might not be getting blocked
coming in.  If that is the case, then you might be able to configure
Pegasus to send mail through the ISP's mail server and receive it
through Mercury.  Of course this kindof defeats the whole purpose.

If you are being blocked, the thing to do is to confront your ISP and
demand to be unblocked or else you'll be forced to go elsewhere.

Dennis.

dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

> So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all
> configured the way I like and...
>
> I can't send anything.
>
> I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@mydomain.com.
>
> I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@yourdomain.com.
>
> My /Mercury/Queue directory is chock full of these ominous QIF files
> reading:
>
> Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.
>
> Though the IPs change.
>
> At first I thought I had been blacklisted. That's what the messages
> here seem to say.
>
> But I checked with MAPS(?) and SpamCop and they say no. Also, I set up
> ArgoSoft's mail server product and I can send mail from that. If I
> were blacklisted, I shouldn't be able to send mail from any product,
> unless I misunderstand something very badly.
>
> So, what is the deal?
>
> ===Blake===

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/1/2004 1:10:48 PM
Blake <dsbw@pacbell.net> organized electrons in article
news:28795fa8.0407010323.7d563d81@posting.google.com that appeared as
follows:
> So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all
> configured the way I like and...
>
> I can't send anything.
>
> I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@mydomain.com.
>
> I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@yourdomain.com.
>
> My /Mercury/Queue directory is chock full of these ominous QIF files
> reading:
>
> Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.
>
> Though the IPs change.
>
> At first I thought I had been blacklisted. That's what the messages
> here seem to say.
>
> But I checked with MAPS(?) and SpamCop and they say no. Also, I set up
> ArgoSoft's mail server product and I can send mail from that. If I
> were blacklisted, I shouldn't be able to send mail from any product,
> unless I misunderstand something very badly.
>
> So, what is the deal?

Have you double-checked your Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server Name from the
"Outgoing (SMTP)" column in the "Mail Server (POP, SMTP) Settings" chart on
"POP, SMTP and NNTP server settings" at
<http://support.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=287> ?

Also, the SBC Yahoo! Email Setup Tutorial at
<http://support.sbcglobal.net/email/walkthrough/start.html> implies that SBC
Yahoo! requires authentication for SMTP, using the same MemberID@Domain and
Password that you use for POP.

--
Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:

0
Jeff
7/1/2004 4:05:35 PM
Jeff,

   Thanks for responding, though, I guess I wasn't clear. I can send
e-mail till the cows come home through my pacbell account. I can't
send them through my =own= Mercury server. I can send them through
other servers without going through my pcabell account. Or perhaps I
misunderstand.

> Also, the SBC Yahoo! Email Setup Tutorial at
> <http://support.sbcglobal.net/email/walkthrough/start.html> implies that SBC
> Yahoo! requires authentication for SMTP, using the same MemberID@Domain and
> Password that you use for POP.

   I thought the point of using my own server was, at least in part,
to =avoid= going through my ISP. Again, if I set up Argosoft, I don't
even mention the sbc/pacbell stuff (just the domain servers) and it
works. I tried putting in the domain servers, but no joy there.

   I saw that someone else here was funnelling everything through
their own ISP but that had ramifications when there were errors?

    ===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/2/2004 6:11:12 AM
Blake <dsbw@pacbell.net> organized electrons in article
news:28795fa8.0407012124.112a3b30@posting.google.com that appeared as
follows:
> Jeff,
>
>    Thanks for responding, though, I guess I wasn't clear. I can send
> e-mail till the cows come home through my pacbell account. I can't
> send them through my =own= Mercury server. I can send them through
> other servers without going through my pcabell account. Or perhaps I
> misunderstand.
>
>> Also, the SBC Yahoo! Email Setup Tutorial at
>> <http://support.sbcglobal.net/email/walkthrough/start.html> implies
>> that SBC Yahoo! requires authentication for SMTP, using the same
>> MemberID@Domain and Password that you use for POP.
>
>    I thought the point of using my own server was, at least in part,
> to =avoid= going through my ISP.

You may not be able to (legally, technologically, or both).

> Again, if I set up Argosoft, I don't
> even mention the sbc/pacbell stuff (just the domain servers) and it
> works. I tried putting in the domain servers, but no joy there.
>
>    I saw that someone else here was funnelling everything through
> their own ISP but that had ramifications when there were errors?

Is Argosoft using the same IP Address as Mercury from the ISP's point of
view?  If not, what if it did as a test, and/or you had Mercury use the same
IP Address as Argosoft as a test?

What happens if you test sending from Mercury through
smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com?

Also, http://moensted.dk/spam/?addr=63.198.128.215 shows that 63.198.128.215
"was found in 6 lists (of 258 tested)".  That's a few more than normal.

--
Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/2/2004 7:30:36 AM
On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all
 > configured the way I like and...
 >
 > I can't send anything.
 >
 > I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
 > You@mydomain.com.
 >
 > I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
 > You@yourdomain.com.

    [snip]

 > At first I thought I had been blacklisted. That's what the messages
 > here seem to say.
 >
 > But I checked with MAPS(?) and SpamCop and they say no.
    [snip]

MAPS and SpamCop are hardly definitive; one might say they are the two *least*
relevant of the various well-known DNSbl services.

What is the IP address of your server?

Plug it into <http://openrbl.org/dnsbl.htm> or
<http://moensted.dk/spam/?addr=>, and see what pops up.

 > Also, I set up
 > ArgoSoft's mail server product and I can send mail from that. If I
 > were blacklisted, I shouldn't be able to send mail from any product,
 > unless I misunderstand something very badly.

    [snip]

That is correct.

 > So, what is the deal?

    [snip]

All the IP addresses you posted appear to be related to <prodigy.net>, which
tends to jibe with your Usenet posting address (which, BTW, you *really* ought
to munge) and the fact that you're posting to Usenet from a <pacbell.net> IP.
Are you attempting to smart-host your outgoing mail, or send it direct to the
recipient domain's MX server?  If the former, are you properly authenticating
(via SMTP AUTH, I presume; but that depends on how SBC/PacBell/Prodigy/etc.
have things set up) to their server?  And if the latter, that gets us back to
"What is the IP address of your server?".

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/2/2004 7:03:17 PM
"Jeff G." <WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com> wrote in message news:<wa8Fc.10248$oW6.1625221@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

> You may not be able to (legally, technologically, or both).

Cleary I can't =technologically=. Heh. At least not with Mercury. But
no problem with Argosoft.

> Is Argosoft using the same IP Address as Mercury from the ISP's point of
> view?  If not, what if it did as a test, and/or you had Mercury use the same
> IP Address as Argosoft as a test?

Same IP addresses in both cases. Argosoft's DNS setup is very clear to
me, though.

> What happens if you test sending from Mercury through
> smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com?

I imagine it would work. I don't think I want to do that, though. I
may try it if I can't get this resolved any other way. But I don't
know what the ramifications would be.

> Also, http://moensted.dk/spam/?addr=63.198.128.215 shows that 63.198.128.215
> "was found in 6 lists (of 258 tested)".  That's a few more than normal.

Back in the '90s, when I got this IP, it was wide open for about two
months. I'm pretty sure it was being used as a file server (though I
never did find any files) and probably all sorts of mayhem. I =very=
naively assumed that the machine couldn't be used for anything I
hadn't told it to, not realizing that MS ships every OS with
fully-functioning helpful hacker tools. <sigh>

So, yeah, though that was over 5 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if
I were on a few well-deserved sh!t lists.

But looking at the Argosoft logs, the request appear to actually
resolve to domain names, where the Mecury logs just show IPs. It looks
like the domain names aren't being resolved in Mercury.
0
dsbw
7/2/2004 8:43:19 PM
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message news:<40e407d1.674708@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...
> I don't know anything about Squirrel Mail or how it can interact with

Well, just for the record I try everything first through my regular
e-mail client. I have three e-mail addresses I can send
(theoretically) from and receive at, if we count the one that's not
working. My domain is "kingdomrpg.com" and I have the aforementiond
pacbell account as well as an old Compuserve account. I can use my
client (Pocomail) to send from my pacbell account to my kingdom
account; I can use my client to send from my Kingdom account to my
pacbell account--if I use Argosoft, Apache James, or a few others I've
tried.

So, it's gotta be some kind of configuration thing. Oh, I also can't
send a mail from the Mercury console to the outside world.

> Mercury, but the errors you are getting can be caused by not having
> the DNS entries correct.

It sure seems that way to me, too. Mercury says it will detect but I
wondered last night if the presence of two network cards might not
confuse it. So I tried singly and doubly and I'm still geting the same
errors.

Should the error logs be reading:

Error connecting to primary server 'somedomain.name'?

instead of the IP addresses?

> If they are correct, then your ISP may be blocking port 25 to anybody
> but him.  You can verify this by using TELNET to connect to other
> peoples mail server's directly on port 25.  Try connecting to
> hotmail's mail server by using TELNET.  Use the address
> 'mx1.hotmail.com' on port 25.  If you don't get a response back almost
> instantly, then your port 25 traffic is probably being blocked.

Yeah, I saw that on the group and tried it. I can telnet into any open
SMTP server I try.

> Even if they block port 25 going out, it might not be getting blocked
> coming in.  If that is the case, then you might be able to configure
> Pegasus to send mail through the ISP's mail server and receive it
> through Mercury.  Of course this kindof defeats the whole purpose.

Well, I don't think port 25 is blocked, from the above experiments. I
really do think it's a configuration issue, and the DNS issue seems
the most likely.

The only place I see to put in a DNS in Mercury is the SMTP client.
(Now, I would've thought this was a server issue but from the help the
SMTP client relays mail to the outside world.) I've tried both the
SMTPE and SMTPC clients which (not surprisingly) didn't work.

> If you are being blocked, the thing to do is to confront your ISP and
> demand to be unblocked or else you'll be forced to go elsewhere.

Actually, I don't know about most ISPs but I suspect SBC would: a)
refuse to unblock me; b) blithely give me a new, unblocked IP; c) give
the old, blocked IP to someone else.

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/2/2004 9:11:27 PM
In article <ibcbe09jnd6o6ssod6s10cj81avu1j2s3b@news.rcn.com>, Jay T.
Blocksom says...

> but that depends on how SBC/PacBell/Prodigy/etc.
> have things set up) to their server?

It is just one company, now; SBC Internet. With nine domains for residential
customers.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

> So, I have my slick Mercury server running, SquirrelMail all
> configured the way I like and...

> I can't send anything.

> I can send to internal addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@mydomain.com.

> I can't send to external addresses. From Me@mydomain.com to
> You@yourdomain.com.

> My /Mercury/Queue directory is chock full of these ominous QIF files
> reading:

> Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
> Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.

> Though the IPs change.

> At first I thought I had been blacklisted. That's what the messages
> here seem to say.

> But I checked with MAPS(?) and SpamCop and they say no. Also, I set up
> ArgoSoft's mail server product and I can send mail from that. If I
> were blacklisted, I shouldn't be able to send mail from any product,
> unless I misunderstand something very badly.

> So, what is the deal?

Good news; ORDB and OpenRBL don't show it listed:

http://ordb.org/lookup/?host=63.198.128.215
http://ordb.org/lookup/rbls/?host=63.198.128.215
http://openrbl.org/dnsbl?I=63.198.128.215&f=2

Bad news; Sam Spade tells me:

07/02/04 14:16:18 dns 63.198.128.215
nslookup 63.198.128.215
Canonical name: adsl-63-198-128-215.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net
Addresses:
  63.198.128.215

A number of ISPs treat any rDNS name with 'adsl' in it as a dynamic user;
and refuse connections from same. There is nothing you can do about how the
remote server treats your connection attempt.

It is probably the rDNS name which is tripping you up. If you have a
guaranteed static assignment, you will need to burrow through the stupid SBC
customer (non)service department and try to find somebody with the technical
knowledge of assigning rDNS names, and try to get yours changed to match
your domain. I've heard that it can be done; but I don't recall which phone
number, or department was able to fix the problem. Rag on SBC until they
come through. Either get them to assign a rational rDNS name, or get them to
delegate DNS for your IP address to your own DNS servers.

But, if they say that your IP address is dynamic, that will never happen. I
should think, though, that having kept the same IP address all of these
years, yours is one of those old static accounts which was grandfathered.
Just pester the silly gnomes at the help desk until they get you a proper
rDNS name.

Oh, and maybe you would be interested in the Sender Policy Framework. It is
an attempt at battling forgery, and allows you to define the sole IP
addresses which can be a source for your email.

http://spf.pobox.com/

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
0
NormanM
7/2/2004 9:31:14 PM
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

> So, it's gotta be some kind of configuration thing. Oh, I also can't
> send a mail from the Mercury console to the outside world.

Check in your mercury logs.  I was able to connect to your server on
port 25 and typed in some stuff.  Your logs should have that if its
not still on the screen.  This indicates that your port 25 access is
not being blocked.  Since you could telnet from that console to other
mail servers on port 25, you know it isn't blocked going out either.

I also tried to communicate with your maiser.  I got no response.
This tells me that your problem is outgoing.  Your network connection
is fine or I wouldn't have been able to connect to your computer.

You may also have some configuration problems.  A bad DNS entry would
also cause an outgoing failure.  You need to use the same DNS entries
that you used in your internet network card configuration.

What is a temporary email address that we can use for testing?  A bad
DNS entry should not stop your users from receiving mail.

> The only place I see to put in a DNS in Mercury is the SMTP client.
> (Now, I would've thought this was a server issue but from the help the
> SMTP client relays mail to the outside world.) I've tried both the
> SMTPE and SMTPC clients which (not surprisingly) didn't work.

Its in the SMTP client setup.  The box says that you can leave it
blank, but mine wouldn't work until I typed them in.  It could be that
the multiple network cards is confusing Mercury somehow.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/2/2004 10:23:18 PM
NormanM <spammail@blackhole.aosake.net> wrote:

> A number of ISPs treat any rDNS name with 'adsl' in it as a dynamic user;
> and refuse connections from same. There is nothing you can do about how the
> remote server treats your connection attempt.

They have a way of finding out even without "adsl" in there.
Basically, if your connect IP does not rDNS back to the HELO, some
servers spit it back at you.

> come through. Either get them to assign a rational rDNS name, or get them to
> delegate DNS for your IP address to your own DNS servers.

Easier said than done.  My ISP wanted $100 extra a month to do that.
He said that would put me in commercial DSL status.

> Oh, and maybe you would be interested in the Sender Policy Framework. It is
> an attempt at battling forgery, and allows you to define the sole IP
> addresses which can be a source for your email.
>
> http://spf.pobox.com/

This looks interesting.  Would it make things work for servers that
require an rDNS match?  Actually, could I just put "Quest" in my helo
field and get it to work?

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/2/2004 11:06:24 PM
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message news:<40e5db12.34330222@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...

> Check in your mercury logs.  I was able to connect to your server on
> port 25 and typed in some stuff.  Your logs should have that if its
> not still on the screen.  This indicates that your port 25 access is
> not being blocked.  Since you could telnet from that console to other
> mail servers on port 25, you know it isn't blocked going out either.

Yep.

> I also tried to communicate with your maiser.  I got no response.
> This tells me that your problem is outgoing.  Your network connection
> is fine or I wouldn't have been able to connect to your computer.

Also, yep. I can get the right responses from maiser from within the
domain.

> You may also have some configuration problems.  A bad DNS entry would
> also cause an outgoing failure.  You need to use the same DNS entries
> that you used in your internet network card configuration.

I have. <sigh> I keep thinking maybe it's some stupid
punctuation/typo...

> What is a temporary email address that we can use for testing?  A bad
> DNS entry should not stop your users from receiving mail.

atemp@kingdomrpg.com

And as far as I can tell, I'm receiving like gangbusters.

> Its in the SMTP client setup.  The box says that you can leave it
> blank, but mine wouldn't work until I typed them in.  It could be that
> the multiple network cards is confusing Mercury somehow.

Maybe, for experimental purposes, I'll but Mercury on another machine
behind the firewall with just one network card.

It's certainly confounding.
0
dsbw
7/3/2004 4:31:52 AM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in message news:<ibcbe09jnd6o6ssod6s10cj81avu1j2s3b@news.rcn.com>...
> On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
>
> MAPS and SpamCop are hardly definitive; one might say they are the two *least*
> relevant of the various well-known DNSbl services.
>
> What is the IP address of your server?

63.198.128.215

> Plug it into <http://openrbl.org/dnsbl.htm> or
> <http://moensted.dk/spam/?addr=>, and see what pops up.

30 negatives.

> All the IP addresses you posted appear to be related to <prodigy.net>, which
> tends to jibe with your Usenet posting address (which, BTW, you *really* ought
> to munge)

Probably.

> and the fact that you're posting to Usenet from a <pacbell.net> IP.
> Are you attempting to smart-host your outgoing mail, or send it direct to the
> recipient domain's MX server?  If the former, are you properly authenticating
> (via SMTP AUTH, I presume; but that depends on how SBC/PacBell/Prodigy/etc.
> have things set up) to their server?  And if the latter, that gets us back to
> "What is the IP address of your server?".

I have a domain, I want to send mail out of it. I want others
(registered users, pals, etc) to be able to send mail out of it. I
don't anticipate more than a couple hundred accounts.
0
dsbw
7/3/2004 4:43:55 AM
NormanM <spammail@blackhole.aosake.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b4f741b54665847989700@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>...

> Good news; ORDB and OpenRBL don't show it listed:

Hey, I'll consider myself lucky.

> A number of ISPs treat any rDNS name with 'adsl' in it as a dynamic user;
> and refuse connections from same. There is nothing you can do about how the
> remote server treats your connection attempt.

But I have gotten through with Argosoft mailserver.

The Argosoft logs are incredibly thorough. I turned on verbose logging
in some part of Mercury<s> but the QIDs are still brief. The main
difference seems to be that Argosoft references "mtact1.prodigy.net"
and Mercury uses the IP address.

> It is probably the rDNS name which is tripping you up. If you have a
> guaranteed static assignment, you will need to burrow through the stupid SBC
> customer (non)service department and try to find somebody with the technical
> knowledge of assigning rDNS names, and try to get yours changed to match
> your domain. I've heard that it can be done; but I don't recall which phone
> number, or department was able to fix the problem. Rag on SBC until they
> come through. Either get them to assign a rational rDNS name, or get them to
> delegate DNS for your IP address to your own DNS servers.

Well, SBC's gonna get an earful from me anyway--assuming I can burrow
down to someone deep enough to comprehend--but if this were the case,
why would I be able to send through Argo and not Merc?

> But, if they say that your IP address is dynamic, that will never happen. I
> should think, though, that having kept the same IP address all of these
> years, yours is one of those old static accounts which was grandfathered.
> Just pester the silly gnomes at the help desk until they get you a proper
> rDNS name.

Actually, if that would make those really long addresses go away, it'd
be worth it, mail server problems or no.

> Oh, and maybe you would be interested in the Sender Policy Framework. It is
> an attempt at battling forgery, and allows you to define the sole IP
> addresses which can be a source for your email.

Yeah, actually, I would. Thanks.
0
dsbw
7/3/2004 4:56:21 AM
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

> I have. <sigh> I keep thinking maybe it's some stupid
> punctuation/typo...

Did you restart Mercury so that the DNS numbers would kick in?  And
did they display at startup in the window?

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/3/2004 6:37:34 PM
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

> The Argosoft logs are incredibly thorough. I turned on verbose logging
> in some part of Mercury<s> but the QIDs are still brief. The main
> difference seems to be that Argosoft references "mtact1.prodigy.net"
> and Mercury uses the IP address.

Are you sure you are looking in the right place?  Mercury logs are in
C:\mercury\logs and not C:\mercury\queue.

I checked my logs when I sent that masier command and there was no
attempt by your server to respond.  I use spamcop, but it would have
shown that it had blocked you.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/3/2004 6:43:05 PM
On 2 Jul 2004 21:43:55 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in
 > message news:<ibcbe09jnd6o6ssod6s10cj81avu1j2s3b@news.rcn.com>...
 > > On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,

    [snip]

 > > What is the IP address of your server?
 >
 > 63.198.128.215

    [snip]

OK, there's at least part of your problem.

That appears to be your residential DSL line -- presumably a standard-issue
SBC/Yahoo "consumer" account, with a DHCP-assigned address.  Most heads-up MTA
operators will peremptorily refuse to accept mail traffic from such IPs, for
all sorts of good reasons.

 > > Plug it into <http://openrbl.org/dnsbl.htm> or
 > > <http://moensted.dk/spam/?addr=>, and see what pops up.
 >
 > 30 negatives.

    [snip]

But more tellingly, at least a couple of significant positives, including the
DRBL, and some strong indications that your IP address is indeed dynamically
assigned.

 > > Are you attempting to smart-host your outgoing mail, or send it direct to
 > > the recipient domain's MX server?
    [snip]

You never really answered this question.

 > > If the former, are you properly
 > > authenticating (via SMTP AUTH, I presume; but that depends on how
 > > SBC/PacBell/Prodigy/etc. have things set up) to their server?
    [snip]

Or this one, for that matter.

 > > And if the
 > > latter, that gets us back to "What is the IP address of your server?".
 >
 > I have a domain, I want to send mail out of it.
    [snip]

But you do not have proper hosting for that domain, and especially for the
mail server.  This:

<http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=kingdomrpg.com>

is telling indeed:

 - You're running your "web server" (such as it is; I strongly suggest that
you knock off the broken Javascript nonsense -- and what's with the hidden
encrypted form which posts to the <paypal.com> scumbags?) off that same
residential DSL line (which, per <http://sbc.yahoo.com/terms/>, is a violation
of your agrement with SBC if you are indeed using a dynamic IP).

 - You don't even have any MX records defined; so there's no way for *anyone*
to send mail to any address at that domain.

 - Your SOA serial number is 2004062500; which at least strongly implies that
you last updated DNS on 6/25/04.  Hence, the issues I note above are not
particularly recent developments.

 > I want others
 > (registered users, pals, etc) to be able to send mail out of it. I
 > don't anticipate more than a couple hundred accounts.

That may be so; but it is irrelevant, really.  You are not ready to let
*anyone* send mail from that domain, or that server; and they *can't* receive
mail at it.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/3/2004 9:30:29 PM
On 2 Jul 2004 21:31:52 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

    [snip]

 > And as far as I can tell, I'm receiving like gangbusters.

    [snip]

How, with no MX records?

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/3/2004 9:30:32 PM
On 2 Jul 2004 13:43:19 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > "Jeff G."
<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com>
 > wrote in message news:<wa8Fc.10248$oW6.1625221@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

    [snip]

 > > What happens if you test sending from Mercury through
 > > smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com?
 >
 > I imagine it would work. I don't think I want to do that, though. I
 > may try it if I can't get this resolved any other way. But I don't
 > know what the ramifications would be.

    [snip]

The "ramifications" are that you would be "smarthosting" your outgoing mail;
which, given the now-clear likelihood that this is a residential SBC/Yahoo
account we're talking about, is the ONLY way for you to properly do it.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/3/2004 9:30:33 PM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

> How, with no MX records?

It will still work without an mx record.  The sender defaults to main
IP.  That's how mine worked anyway.  I set the MX records later just
to be "correct".

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/3/2004 10:13:18 PM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> organized
electrons in article
news:h28ee0t01r0ar65viulu2o9ee9d83g2gr0@news.rcn.com that appeared as
follows:
> On 2 Jul 2004 21:31:52 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
> dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:
>  >
>     [snip]
>  >
>  > And as far as I can tell, I'm receiving like gangbusters.
>  >
>     [snip]
>
> How, with no MX records?

In compliance with the direct email delivery situation that existed before
the publication of RFC974, the first paragraph of Section 5 on Page 60 of
RFC2821 "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt states:
"  If
   no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as
   if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0,
   pointing to that host."

--
Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/3/2004 11:48:33 PM
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message news:<40e6fc87.23311723@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...
> Did you restart Mercury so that the DNS numbers would kick in?  And
> did they display at startup in the window?

Yes. And yes.

I also disabled the internal nic with no effect.

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/4/2004 10:19:18 AM
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message news:<40e6fda9.23601138@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...

> Are you sure you are looking in the right place?  Mercury logs are in
> C:\mercury\logs and not C:\mercury\queue.

Yeah, but they don't show any problems. At least none that are obvious
to me. What was nice about Argosoft was that there was a retort built
into the logs "We don't relay", etc. This just says "connection
closed". I suppose the clue that they're failing is that there are no
"DATA" lines for any of the dozens of spammers (or you guys,
thanks<s>).

> I checked my logs when I sent that masier command and there was no
> attempt by your server to respond.  I use spamcop, but it would have
> shown that it had blocked you.

The command was received, however.

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/4/2004 10:33:33 AM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in message news:<769ee01vk0h8b5v9p5vm6jqngrn2ec9bdu@news.rcn.com>...

> That appears to be your residential DSL line -- presumably a standard-issue
> SBC/Yahoo "consumer" account, with a DHCP-assigned address.  Most heads-up MTA
> operators will peremptorily refuse to accept mail traffic from such IPs, for
> all sorts of good reasons.

Well, once again, I should point out that I =can= send mail out from
other mail packages. Just not Mercury.

> But more tellingly, at least a couple of significant positives, including the
> DRBL, and some strong indications that your IP address is indeed dynamically
> assigned.

I didn't see any positives when I went there. And my IP may be,
technically, "dynamically assigned" but it hasn't changed in over five
years.

>  > > Are you attempting to smart-host your outgoing mail, or send it direct to
>  > > the recipient domain's MX server?
>     [snip]
>
> You never really answered this question.

Maybe I don't understand it, then, or didn't make my answer clear: I'm
trying to send mail from my server without going through SBC's mail
server.

>  > > If the former, are you properly
>  > > authenticating (via SMTP AUTH, I presume; but that depends on how
>  > > SBC/PacBell/Prodigy/etc. have things set up) to their server?
>     [snip]
>
> Or this one, for that matter.

No. Not the former (ergo I'm not authenticating).

> But you do not have proper hosting for that domain, and especially for the
> mail server.  This:
>
> <http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=kingdomrpg.com>

Damn. Moved the site recently and forgot to check here.

> is telling indeed:
>
>  - You're running your "web server"...[snipped to below]...off that same
> residential DSL line (which, per <http://sbc.yahoo.com/terms/>, is a violation
> of your agrement with SBC if you are indeed using a dynamic IP).

Interesting thought. I never had an agreement with SBC, never upgraded
to Yahoo, never really had an agreement with Pacific Bell for that
matter (except for bandwidth promises). Not so much as EULA. When I
signed up, the distinction between "business" and "residential" was a
lot fuzzier. (Of course, I also routinely got 1.5M/768K.<sigh>)
Someone used the term "grandfathered", which is smack on. Not only can
I not upgrade my account, I can't so much as sneeze on it, or they
will bust my bandwidth, charge me more, and kick my dog.

They'll hurt me even more if I upgrade to business class. I wanted to
do that right before I moved the site, but they told me 2-3 weeks
downtime, in addition to tons o' cash (for surprisingly little
increase in the speed to my users).

> (such as it is; I strongly suggest that
> you knock off the broken Javascript nonsense

I agree. I started with a bunch of NetFusion-generated pages. I threw
almost all of it out, but that's a remnant.

> -- and what's with the hidden
> encrypted form which posts to the <paypal.com> scumbags?)

Maybe you missed it? It's a button, at the very bottom of the page.
The Kingdom is a "user supported site". Like PBS, only without the
federal support.

If you know of a better way (or even an alternate way) for my users to
contribute, I'm all ears.

>  - You don't even have any MX records defined; so there's no way for *anyone*
> to send mail to any address at that domain.

I think we've established that's not true. I'm a little surprised by
absence of MX records, and the above DNS report. I moved from HostSave
to Network Solutions, and I thought I had been assured by NS that they
would handle all that.

>  - Your SOA serial number is 2004062500; which at least strongly implies that
> you last updated DNS on 6/25/04.  Hence, the issues I note above are not
> particularly recent developments.

You clearly move more quickly than I do. Ten days seems pretty recent
for me. (Unless I'm getting paid to do something.)

> That may be so; but it is irrelevant, really.  You are not ready to let
> *anyone* send mail from that domain, or that server; and they *can't* receive
> mail at it.

Well, I appreciate the energy you put into all this, and I'll
certainly clean up my act--but I can both send and receive mail at
that domain--just not using Mercury. I'm not confident that fixing the
DNS records is going to help (but it sure won't hurt).

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/4/2004 11:06:46 AM
I'll have to say that this one has got me stumped.  WE checked:

1) Network interface: This works.
2) SMTP port 25: Not Blocked.
3) DNS entries: Spelled out and displaying on init.

I'll have to say that I never had trouble anything as bad as what
you're experiencing.  I'm running Personal Web Server, FTP server,
Internet Connection Sharing, and Mercury Web Server on port 81 all at
the same time with no conflicts or problems.

I hate to say this, but remove it and reinstall.  Wipe the entire
Mercury directory and then reinstall using the wizard.  Also, make
sure that you are using the latest version (4+).  On mine, I have
pretty much all of the services enabled.  Maybe it needs one of them
that you didn't install.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/4/2004 11:39:50 AM
On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

>Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
>Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
>Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
>Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.

All of these are prodigy mail servers. At least that is what they
connect to using "telnet xxx.xxx.xx.xx 25" from my machine. Do you
have any errors listed which are not prodigy?

mike
0
mbpatpas
7/4/2004 9:53:32 PM
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:39:50 GMT, n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote:

>I'll have to say that this one has got me stumped.  WE checked:
>
>1) Network interface: This works.
>2) SMTP port 25: Not Blocked.
>3) DNS entries: Spelled out and displaying on init.
>
>I'll have to say that I never had trouble anything as bad as what
>you're experiencing.  I'm running Personal Web Server, FTP server,
>Internet Connection Sharing, and Mercury Web Server on port 81 all at
>the same time with no conflicts or problems.
>
>I hate to say this, but remove it and reinstall.  Wipe the entire
>Mercury directory and then reinstall using the wizard.  Also, make
>sure that you are using the latest version (4+).  On mine, I have
>pretty much all of the services enabled.  Maybe it needs one of them
>that you didn't install.

Before you do this, you might want to try one other thing.  I
experience something close to the same problem you do sometimes
(intermittently) and the solution is to reset the router (everything
else appears to be working - http, ftp, telnet, but I just can't use
Mercury).  You say that you are on a non-dedicated IP, but one that
hasn't changed in many moons.  I can't believe your router has
remained connected, without reset, that entire time, so your
grandfathered connection may be a static IP, even though you aren't on
the "static IP" plan.  If so, great.  If not, and you have just been
fortunate enough to never have had your router reset, then resetting
your router may change your IP address.  I don't think that is what
you want, but if it happens, you can restore access to your system
from the internet pretty easily (and free) by using a dynamic web
service like www.no-ip.com, which is free for 5 or less dynamic
addresses.  There are others besides no-ip that provide this same
dynamic web service for free for a limited number of addresses.

Other than the static IP address (mine has always been truly dynamic)
I have the same type of account you do, complete with no specific
EULA, better throughput than I can get if I "upgrade" my account,
unless I sign up for something which is much more expensive than my
current monthly cost and with significant downtime while things are
processed.

Is it at all possible that you are smarthosting through Argosoft and
not knowing it?  That is, if your port 25 is being hijacked by
pacbell/yahoo, and argosoft's configuration routine is set up so that
when hijacked it knows to authenticate, then it is possible you are
smarthosting without intentionally doing so.  And if mercury isn't set
up to smarthost (MercuryC) then it will fall over if you use direct
(MercuryE) and your DNS entries aren't being picked up and processed
correctly.

When I tried MercuryE many moons ago I ran into the same problems you
did and couldn't find any solution within Mercury.  I ended up using
MercuryC through an SMTP server set up through the company that
provides my domain name registration.  I'd love to switch back to
MercuryE, but I fear that there are too many mail servers out there
that lookup your actual sending IP and if it is found to be from
dialup or residential DSL they just refuse the connection.

It sounds like that is what is happening to you, although somehow it
doesn't happen if you use Argosoft.  That sounds really strange to me,
unless as indicated above, you are smarthosting through Argosoft and
just not realizing it.

Good luck.

mike
0
mbpatpas
7/4/2004 10:08:57 PM
Blake <dsbw@pacbell.net> organized electrons in article
news:28795fa8.0407040233.56e2d2af@posting.google.com that appeared as
follows:
> n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message
>>
>> Are you sure you are looking in the right place?  Mercury logs are in
>> C:\mercury\logs and not C:\mercury\queue.
>
> Yeah, but they don't show any problems. At least none that are obvious
> to me. What was nice about Argosoft was that there was a retort built
> into the logs "We don't relay", etc. This just says "connection
> closed". I suppose the clue that they're failing is that there are no
> "DATA" lines for any of the dozens of spammers (or you guys,
> thanks<s>).

What mailservers does Argosoft send through?  Sanitized Received Header
Lines from an email sent from Argosoft offsite should help show those
mailservers, and how to get Mercury to use them.  If you don't have the
address of someone who can show you those Header Lines, you can send me a
test.

--
Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/4/2004 11:24:29 PM
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote in message news:<40e7ea91.947806@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...

> I'll have to say that I never had trouble anything as bad as what
> you're experiencing.  I'm running Personal Web Server, FTP server,
> Internet Connection Sharing, and Mercury Web Server on port 81 all at
> the same time with no conflicts or problems.

Well, that's reassuring, i.e., that it can be done.

> I hate to say this, but remove it and reinstall.  Wipe the entire
> Mercury directory and then reinstall using the wizard.  Also, make
> sure that you are using the latest version (4+).  On mine, I have
> pretty much all of the services enabled.  Maybe it needs one of them
> that you didn't install.

OK, this is progress, of s sort. I'm now getting actual error
messages.

temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error)

Which, looking all over the place brings me back to my DNS is wrong.
It looks fine. I notice Mercury checks the hosts file.

I disabled the LAN network card while installing--don't think that
made a damn bit of difference. Did fark up my ICS, though. <sigh>
0
dsbw
7/4/2004 11:30:07 PM
mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:
>
> >Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
> >Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
> >Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
> >Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.
>
> All of these are prodigy mail servers. At least that is what they
> connect to using "telnet xxx.xxx.xx.xx 25" from my machine. Do you
> have any errors listed which are not prodigy?
>
> mike

In other words, they aren't DNS servers.  These are the same errors I
got when my Mercury was set up wrong.  I think a call to the ISP to
find out what the DNS addresses are for sure might be a good idea.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/5/2004 12:07:45 AM
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:07:45 GMT, n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote:

>mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:
>
>> On 1 Jul 2004 04:23:05 -0700, dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:
>>
>> >Error connecting to primary server '207.115.57.16'.
>> >Error connecting to alternate server '207.115.57.15'.
>> >Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.66'.
>> >Error connecting to alternate server '151.164.30.65'.
>>
>> All of these are prodigy mail servers. At least that is what they
>> connect to using "telnet xxx.xxx.xx.xx 25" from my machine. Do you
>> have any errors listed which are not prodigy?
>>
>> mike
>
>In other words, they aren't DNS servers.  These are the same errors I
>got when my Mercury was set up wrong.  I think a call to the ISP to
>find out what the DNS addresses are for sure might be a good idea.

I thought the error message was indicating a failure to connect to a
mailserver, not a DNS server.  So, you are correct if the intent is to
get to a DNS server, those won't work.

My DNS servers that seem to work (although I don't think they are
necessarily what pacbell uses for new subscribers) are 206.13.28.12
and 206.13.29.12.

You can see where your TCP/IP DNS servers are pointing to by typing:

ipconfig /all

from a DOS prompt if you are on W2k or above, or:

winipcfg /all (and then select the appropriate connection)

from a DOS prompt if winme or below.

mike
0
mbpatpas
7/5/2004 12:26:58 AM
"Jeff G." <WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com> wrote in message news:<Nk0Gc.20342$4h7.2430924@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

> What mailservers does Argosoft send through?  Sanitized Received Header
> Lines from an email sent from Argosoft offsite should help show those
> mailservers, and how to get Mercury to use them.  If you don't have the
> address of someone who can show you those Header Lines, you can send me a
> test.

I was just reading someone on DevShed saying that Argosoft was so
clever, it didn't need a DNS server on the machine it was running on.
I had thought that was unnecessary. (I downloaded BIND and was playing
with it but....)

I sent one mail to my Pacbell account and one to my Compuserve
account, and got back the following. Dunno how to sanitize them,
sorry.

From kingdom to pacbell:

(ArGoSoft Mail Server Freeware, Version 1.8 (1.8.6.0)); Mon

From kingdom to compuserve:

(ArGoSoft Mail Server Freeware, Version 1.8 (1.8.6.0)); Mon

Is ArgoSoft being very clever? I didn't think I had trouble sending
with the other programs, either. I'll check.
0
dsbw
7/5/2004 9:15:34 AM
Blake <dsbw@pacbell.net> organized electrons in article
news:28795fa8.0407050115.20aebf46@posting.google.com that appeared as
follows:
> "Jeff G."

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com

> wrote in message news:<Nk0Gc.20342$4h7.2430924@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
>>
>> What mailservers does Argosoft send through?  Sanitized Received
>> Header Lines from an email sent from Argosoft offsite should help
>> show those mailservers, and how to get Mercury to use them.  If you
>> don't have the address of someone who can show you those Header
>> Lines, you can send me a test.
>
> I was just reading someone on DevShed saying that Argosoft was so
> clever, it didn't need a DNS server on the machine it was running on.
> I had thought that was unnecessary. (I downloaded BIND and was playing
> with it but....)
>
> I sent one mail to my Pacbell account and one to my Compuserve
> account, and got back the following. Dunno how to sanitize them,
> sorry.
>
> From kingdom to pacbell:

> (ArGoSoft Mail Server Freeware, Version 1.8 (1.8.6.0)); Mon
>
> From kingdom to compuserve:

> (ArGoSoft Mail Server Freeware, Version 1.8 (1.8.6.0)); Mon
>
> Is ArgoSoft being very clever? I didn't think I had trouble sending
> with the other programs, either. I'll check.

OK, your ArgoSoft server appears to think its name is "lewis".  That name
should really be "kingdomrpg.com".  That server appears to be sending
directly from 63.198.128.215 to the destination servers (that is, not
smarthosting).

Does Mercury run on the same server?

If it is a different server, what is that server's IP Address, what DNS
Servers is it trying to use, and what would happen if you tried to run
Mercury on the ArgoSoft server or vice versa?

--
Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/5/2004 9:55:52 AM
Jeff G.
<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com

organized electrons in article
news:IA9Gc.11136$oW6.2410679@twister.nyc.rr.com that appeared as
follows:
> your ArgoSoft server appears to think its name is "lewis".  That
> name should really be "kingdomrpg.com".

It could also call itself "MAIL.kingdomrpg.com" or "mail.kingdomrpg.com"
without a problem.  I prefer the latter.

--
Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/5/2004 10:05:27 AM
"Jeff G."
<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com
> wrote in message news:HJ9Gc.11137$oW6.2410787@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Jeff G.

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com

> organized electrons in article
> news:IA9Gc.11136$oW6.2410679@twister.nyc.rr.com that appeared as
> follows:
> > your ArgoSoft server appears to think its name is "lewis".  That
> > name should really be "kingdomrpg.com".
>
> It could also call itself "MAIL.kingdomrpg.com" or "mail.kingdomrpg.com"
> without a problem.  I prefer the latter.

Make sure to add an appropriate DNS entry to reflect this.

Tom

0
Tom
7/5/2004 5:03:55 PM
Tom Baker <t3baker@gardenstreet.org> organized electrons in article
news:%RfGc.13324$qw1.3899@nwrddc01.gnilink.net that appeared as
follows:
> "Jeff G."

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com
>> wrote in message news:HJ9Gc.11137$oW6.2410787@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>> Jeff G.

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com

>> organized electrons in article
>> news:IA9Gc.11136$oW6.2410679@twister.nyc.rr.com that appeared as
>> follows:
>>> your ArgoSoft server appears to think its name is "lewis".  That
>>> name should really be "kingdomrpg.com".
>>
>> It could also call itself "MAIL.kingdomrpg.com" or
>> "mail.kingdomrpg.com" without a problem.  I prefer the latter.
>
> Make sure to add an appropriate DNS entry to reflect this.

The DNS entries that existed when I wrote that (and still exist at present)
sufficed.  Or are your systems so paranoid as to require a name of
"adsl-63-198-128-215.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"?

--
Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/5/2004 5:43:25 PM
"Jeff G." <WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com> wrote in message news:<IA9Gc.11136$oW6.2410679@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
<
> OK, your ArgoSoft server appears to think its name is "lewis".  That name
> should really be "kingdomrpg.com".  That server appears to be sending
> directly from 63.198.128.215 to the destination servers (that is, not
> smarthosting).

The machine's name is Lewis, that's where that comes from. I have to
manually change that both in Mercury and Argosoft--and I didn't see
any point in changing it in Argosoft, since i was just running a test.

> Does Mercury run on the same server?

Yep. This is the same machine. I just shut down Mercury and put up
Argo. Precisely why this is so maddening.

===Blake===
0
dsbw
7/5/2004 8:37:47 PM
"Jeff G."
<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com
> wrote in message news:1rgGc.12026$oW6.2483012@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Tom Baker <t3baker@gardenstreet.org> organized electrons in article
> news:%RfGc.13324$qw1.3899@nwrddc01.gnilink.net that appeared as
> follows:
> > "Jeff G."

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com
> >> wrote in message news:HJ9Gc.11137$oW6.2410787@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> >> Jeff G.

<WIQTWBBBJIAI%fcnzzbgry%pbz%PRECEDING%ROT13%ENCODED%TO%DESPAM%US@example.com

> >> organized electrons in article
> >> news:IA9Gc.11136$oW6.2410679@twister.nyc.rr.com that appeared as
> >> follows:
> >>
> >> It could also call itself "MAIL.kingdomrpg.com" or
> >> "mail.kingdomrpg.com" without a problem.  I prefer the latter.
> >
> > Make sure to add an appropriate DNS entry to reflect this.
>
> The DNS entries that existed when I wrote that (and still exist at
present)
> sufficed.  Or are your systems so paranoid as to require a name of
> "adsl-63-198-128-215.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"?
>
> --
> Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.
> My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
> Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

My systems? Certainly not.

Ah; I see now that the record for mail.kingdomrpg.com is indeed already set
up by someone- I made a bad assumption.

Tom

0
Tom
7/6/2004 6:15:34 AM
mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote in message news:<40e89e39.347955693@news.INDIVIDUAL.NET>...

> >In other words, they aren't DNS servers.  These are the same errors I
> >got when my Mercury was set up wrong.  I think a call to the ISP to
> >find out what the DNS addresses are for sure might be a good idea.

Well, I think I know what the DNS addresses are. I've been using the
same ones for years; I've had to type them in a zillion times. And
they work, except here.

> I thought the error message was indicating a failure to connect to a
> mailserver, not a DNS server.  So, you are correct if the intent is to
> get to a DNS server, those won't work.

I don't believe they are. I believe they're an attempt to get to a
mail server, but lacking the right MX records, they come out just as
IP addresses. When I use Argosoft, it says "retrieving MX records",
and then Prodigy mail servers appear--if not on those IP addresses,
then some very similar ones.

> My DNS servers that seem to work (although I don't think they are
> necessarily what pacbell uses for new subscribers) are 206.13.28.12
> and 206.13.29.12.

206.13.29.12 and 206.13.30.12 are mine. I may just add the 28 one in
there just to see what happens. (Though my guess is nothing.)

I rather like Mercury, but if I can't work it out soon, I'll go back
to James, I guess. <sigh>
0
dsbw
7/6/2004 7:43:03 AM
On 6 Jul 2004 00:43:03 -0700, dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

>mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote in message news:<40e89e39.347955693@news.INDIVIDUAL.NET>...
>> >
>> >In other words, they aren't DNS servers.  These are the same errors I
>> >got when my Mercury was set up wrong.  I think a call to the ISP to
>> >find out what the DNS addresses are for sure might be a good idea.
>
>Well, I think I know what the DNS addresses are. I've been using the
>same ones for years; I've had to type them in a zillion times. And
>they work, except here.
>
>> I thought the error message was indicating a failure to connect to a
>> mailserver, not a DNS server.  So, you are correct if the intent is to
>> get to a DNS server, those won't work.
>
>I don't believe they are. I believe they're an attempt to get to a
>mail server, but lacking the right MX records, they come out just as
>IP addresses. When I use Argosoft, it says "retrieving MX records",
>and then Prodigy mail servers appear--if not on those IP addresses,
>then some very similar ones.
>
>> My DNS servers that seem to work (although I don't think they are
>> necessarily what pacbell uses for new subscribers) are 206.13.28.12
>> and 206.13.29.12.
>
>206.13.29.12 and 206.13.30.12 are mine. I may just add the 28 one in
>there just to see what happens. (Though my guess is nothing.)
>
>I rather like Mercury, but if I can't work it out soon, I'll go back
>to James, I guess. <sigh>

Well, about the only thing I can think of at this point is whether
Mercury is setup to properly announce your domain.  Mercury adheres
rigidly to internet standards.  Sometimes this causes problems which
don't appear in programs that are less rigid.  I can't say for sure,
but maybe Argosoft takes the same setup and works around something
that is not set up properly.

I'm not sure I have the same version of Mercury that you are using,
but on the General tab under Mercury Core Module Configuration do you
have www.kingdomrpg.com in your "Internet Name for This System"?  I
seem to recall from an earlier message that it may not have been a
fully qualified Domain Name.

Grasping at straws here.

mike
0
mbpatpas
7/6/2004 11:47:39 AM
mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:

> >Well, I think I know what the DNS addresses are. I've been using the
> >same ones for years; I've had to type them in a zillion times. And
> >they work, except here.
> >
> >> I thought the error message was indicating a failure to connect to a
> >> mailserver, not a DNS server.  So, you are correct if the intent is to
> >> get to a DNS server, those won't work.
> >
> >I don't believe they are. I believe they're an attempt to get to a
> >mail server, but lacking the right MX records, they come out just as
> >IP addresses. When I use Argosoft, it says "retrieving MX records",
> >and then Prodigy mail servers appear--if not on those IP addresses,
> >then some very similar ones.
> >
> >> My DNS servers that seem to work (although I don't think they are
> >> necessarily what pacbell uses for new subscribers) are 206.13.28.12
> >> and 206.13.29.12.
> >
> >206.13.29.12 and 206.13.30.12 are mine. I may just add the 28 one in
> >there just to see what happens. (Though my guess is nothing.)
> >
> >I rather like Mercury, but if I can't work it out soon, I'll go back
> >to James, I guess. <sigh>
>
> Well, about the only thing I can think of at this point is whether
> Mercury is setup to properly announce your domain.  Mercury adheres
> rigidly to internet standards.  Sometimes this causes problems which
> don't appear in programs that are less rigid.  I can't say for sure,
> but maybe Argosoft takes the same setup and works around something
> that is not set up properly.
>
> I'm not sure I have the same version of Mercury that you are using,
> but on the General tab under Mercury Core Module Configuration do you
> have www.kingdomrpg.com in your "Internet Name for This System"?  I
> seem to recall from an earlier message that it may not have been a
> fully qualified Domain Name.
>
> Grasping at straws here.
>
> mike

I have some more staws to grab.

Look in your windows network setup and make sure that you have netbeui
and ipx/spx unchecked and not installed.  On my system the wreaked
havok when mixed with the necessary TCP/IP protocol.

You don't need an MX record to send email.  So your MX record is
irrelavent for sending.

Have you looked in the mercury.ini file to see if everything there
looked right.  The DNS IP's should be in there also.  Note that the
mercury.ini file gets overwritten when you exit mercury so if you make
changes, you have to do it with mercury not running.

Other than that, I think I may have run out of straws to grab.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/6/2004 12:34:35 PM
"Mike Preston" <mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> On 6 Jul 2004 00:43:03 -0700, dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:
>
> >mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote in message

<snip>

> Well, about the only thing I can think of at this point is whether
> Mercury is setup to properly announce your domain.  Mercury adheres
> rigidly to internet standards.  Sometimes this causes problems which
> don't appear in programs that are less rigid.  I can't say for sure,
> but maybe Argosoft takes the same setup and works around something
> that is not set up properly.
>
> I'm not sure I have the same version of Mercury that you are using,
> but on the General tab under Mercury Core Module Configuration do you
> have www.kingdomrpg.com in your "Internet Name for This System"?  I
> seem to recall from an earlier message that it may not have been a
> fully qualified Domain Name.
>
> Grasping at straws here.
>
> mike

Another straw- Under SMTP Client config, do you have "indentify myself as"
set to kingdomrpg.com?

Tom

0
Tom
7/6/2004 4:44:22 PM
Thank you all for your help. It was instructive.

Re grasping at straws?

I deleted my Mercury setup (again). I reinstalled (again).

This time I only put up the minimum protocols I needed. And I kept all
the defaults.

This time it worked.

I then added the protocols back. Still worked. Changed the
directories. Still worked. I could not tell you what is different,
except that it works now.
0
dsbw
7/9/2004 6:33:26 AM
"Blake" <dsbw@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Thank you all for your help. It was instructive.
>
> Re grasping at straws?
>
> I deleted my Mercury setup (again). I reinstalled (again).
>
> This time I only put up the minimum protocols I needed. And I kept all
> the defaults.
>
> This time it worked.
>
> I then added the protocols back. Still worked. Changed the
> directories. Still worked. I could not tell you what is different,
> except that it works now.

Congratulations!!
I highly recommend making some safe backups on mercury.ini, in case you find
that bad setting by accident.
Now make sure you get your security settings locked down tight. After all
this work, the last thing you need is spammers highjacking your server! :-)

Tom

0
Tom
7/9/2004 7:00:10 AM
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:13:18 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote:

 > Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:
 >

 > > How, with no MX records?
 > >

 > It will still work without an mx record.  The sender defaults to main
 > IP.
    [snip]

IIRC, that is dependant on the (local) DNS server in question.  At the very
least, I wouldn't *count*on* it.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/9/2004 10:03:24 AM
On 4 Jul 2004 04:06:46 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in
 > message news:<769ee01vk0h8b5v9p5vm6jqngrn2ec9bdu@news.rcn.com>...
 >
 > > That appears to be your residential DSL line -- presumably a
 > > standard-issue SBC/Yahoo "consumer" account, with a DHCP-assigned
 > > address.  Most heads-up MTA operators will peremptorily refuse to accept
 > > mail traffic from such IPs, for all sorts of good reasons.
 >
 > Well, once again, I should point out that I =can= send mail out from
 > other mail packages. Just not Mercury.

    [snip]

Well, some MTA operators cannot be plausibly described as "heads up".  But
still...

 > > But more tellingly, at least a couple of significant positives, including
 > > the DRBL, and some strong indications that your IP address is indeed
 > > dynamically assigned.
 >
 > I didn't see any positives when I went there. And my IP may be,
 > technically, "dynamically assigned" but it hasn't changed in over five
 > years.

    [snip]

That "technically" part is all that matters.

 > >  > > Are you attempting to smart-host your outgoing mail, or send it
 > >  > > direct to the recipient domain's MX server?
 > >     [snip]
 > >
 > > You never really answered this question.
 >
 > Maybe I don't understand it, then, or didn't make my answer clear: I'm
 > trying to send mail from my server without going through SBC's mail
 > server.

    [snip]

Which, given what we now know about your setup, is a mistake.

If you cannot relocate the server to proper non-"consumer" static IP space,
you definitely should be smarthosting through *someone* (not necessarily SBC
-- there are other MTA operators who can provide that service).

 > >  - You're running your "web server"...[snipped to below]...off that same
 > > residential DSL line (which, per <http://sbc.yahoo.com/terms/>, is a
 > > violation of your agrement with SBC if you are indeed using a dynamic
 > > IP).
 >
 > Interesting thought. I never had an agreement with SBC, never upgraded
 > to Yahoo, never really had an agreement with Pacific Bell for that
 > matter (except for bandwidth promises). Not so much as EULA. When I
 > signed up, the distinction between "business" and "residential" was a
 > lot fuzzier. (Of course, I also routinely got 1.5M/768K.<sigh>)
 > Someone used the term "grandfathered", which is smack on.
    [snip]

I suspect that "grandfathered" status doesn't mean as much as you think it
does.  Typically, TOS/AUP updates are considered acceded to if you continue to
use the service without *explicitly* taking exception.  Now, you *might* be
able to fight that in a court of law, if it ever comes down to that; but you
really don't want to even be in that position -- SBC has more lawyers and
deeper pockets to pay them than you do.

 > If you know of a better way (or even an alternate way) for my users to
 > contribute, I'm all ears.

    [snip]

Well, you could get a proper merchant account with your bank, and directly
accept credit card payments.  Or, they could send you a check.  Seriously.

I've not really looked into "alternative" third-party "online payment"
schemes, as they don't really interest me in general (I've never used one, and
don't intend to).  But regardless, PayPal are *known* scumballs (especially
after they got Borged by eBay, an even bigger scumball outfit).

 > >  - You don't even have any MX records defined; so there's no way for
 > > *anyone* to send mail to any address at that domain.
 >
 > I think we've established that's not true.
    [snip]

Yes, I forgot about the "fallback" scenario; but as I mentioned in another
article, I don't think you can really count on that to be reliable.

 > I'm a little surprised by
 > absence of MX records, and the above DNS report. I moved from HostSave
 > to Network Solutions,
    [snip]

Can you say, "Out of the frying pan, into the fire"?

Granted, HostSave is a long-time unrepentant spamhaus; so you were right to
flee.  But to NetSol/VeriSlime?!?  Why on Earth would you pick what has to be
*the* best-known-to-be-completely-rogue registrar extant?

You *really* need to be more selective about who you do business with.

 > ... and I thought I had been assured by NS that they
 > would handle all that.

    [snip]

If you expected competence out of NetSol, you need to adjust your meds. <~>

 > Well, I appreciate the energy you put into all this, and I'll
 > certainly clean up my act--but I can both send and receive mail at
 > that domain--just not using Mercury. I'm not confident that fixing the
 > DNS records is going to help (but it sure won't hurt).

    [snip]

You're welcome.  I agree that, at this point, it looks like some sort of
configuration glitch in Merc.  But OTOH, I use it on two different systems
here (one smarthosting through the other), and it works like a champ; so I
know it's not a problem *inherent* to Merc.  Just for grins, what (if
anything) do you have entered under [Configuration | Mercury Core Module
configuration | Internet name for this system]?

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/9/2004 10:03:25 AM
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:57 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:

    [snip]

 > You say that you are on a non-dedicated IP, but one that
 > hasn't changed in many moons.  I can't believe your router has
 > remained connected, without reset, that entire time, so your
 > grandfathered connection may be a static IP, even though you aren't on
 > the "static IP" plan.
    [snip]

What he *probably* has is what I've heard referred to informally as "sticky
DHCP" (I don't know if there even exists a "proper" name for it).  Many
DSL/cable providers seem to be going this route these days.  Basically, they
keep a database of customer IPs (keyed off the DSL/cable "modem" serial
number, I think); and each time the DHCP lease is periodically renewed, the
*same* IP address that it had the last time gets reassigned, unless the user
goes to some effort to explicitly force a *new* IP address.

I'm not entirely sure what the rationale for this scheme is, from the ISP's
POV; but I suspect it has something to do with being able to more
easly/thoroughly look up customer service records and such.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/9/2004 10:03:59 AM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

> I suspect that "grandfathered" status doesn't mean as much as you think it
> does.  Typically, TOS/AUP updates are considered acceded to if you continue to
> use the service without *explicitly* taking exception.  Now, you *might* be
> able to fight that in a court of law, if it ever comes down to that; but you
> really don't want to even be in that position -- SBC has more lawyers and
> deeper pockets to pay them than you do.

Without a contract, the more likely scenario is that they will simply
say "sign the contract or get cut off".  Everybody is bound by the AUP
which simply says "These are our rules, break them and your internet
connection won't work anymore."  You "sign" that contract by using the
connection - just like you "sign" a credit card contract by using the
card.

> You're welcome.  I agree that, at this point, it looks like some sort of
> configuration glitch in Merc.  But OTOH, I use it on two different systems
> here (one smarthosting through the other), and it works like a champ; so I
> know it's not a problem *inherent* to Merc.  Just for grins, what (if
> anything) do you have entered under [Configuration | Mercury Core Module
> configuration | Internet name for this system]?

Now I've got a question:  If you plan on having other users, how to do
plan on getting them to connect?  Are you going to have dialup PPP
accounts or something else?

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/9/2004 12:14:06 PM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> organized
electrons in article
news:2mare0hlqc87njffc8kprec9hqf2luvnu2@news.rcn.com that appeared as
follows:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:57 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
> mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:
>  >
>     [snip]
>
>  > You say that you are on a non-dedicated IP, but one that
>  > hasn't changed in many moons.  I can't believe your router has
>  > remained connected, without reset, that entire time, so your
>  > grandfathered connection may be a static IP, even though you
>  aren't on > the "static IP" plan.
>     [snip]
>
> What he *probably* has is what I've heard referred to informally as
> "sticky DHCP" (I don't know if there even exists a "proper" name for
> it).  Many DSL/cable providers seem to be going this route these
> days.  Basically, they keep a database of customer IPs (keyed off the
> DSL/cable "modem" serial number, I think); and each time the DHCP
> lease is periodically renewed, the *same* IP address that it had the
> last time gets reassigned, unless the user goes to some effort to
> explicitly force a *new* IP address.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what the rationale for this scheme is, from the
> ISP's POV; but I suspect it has something to do with being able to
> more easly/thoroughly look up customer service records and such.

I know Novell NetWare's DHCP Server is "sticky" in that manner.  That
has helped us, when asked, to assure HR personnel that particular
Employees using particular PCs had been using particular IP Addresses
on, say, the first of each of the last three months, last leased them on
such-and-such date and time, last logged in at such-and-such time that
morning, and were still logged in.

--
Best Regards,  Jeff G.
My email address in the following is ROT13 encoded to reduce spam:
Guvf vf gur rznvy nqqerff: WIQTWBBBJIAI@fcnzzbgry.pbz

0
Jeff
7/9/2004 4:26:57 PM
"Tom Baker" <t3baker@gardenstreet.org> wrote in message news:<_nrHc.31908$6e7.16404@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...

> Congratulations!!
> I highly recommend making some safe backups on mercury.ini, in case you find
> that bad setting by accident.

Wow, good advice. I probably would've overlooked that.

> Now make sure you get your security settings locked down tight. After all
> this work, the last thing you need is spammers highjacking your server! :-)

No kidding. I don't relay non-local mail (at all). I seem to pass all
the spam relay tests. My general traffic should be low enough that I
can spot any abuse pretty quickly. (I hope.)

Thanks again to all.
0
dsbw
7/10/2004 4:24:20 AM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in message news:<o88re0h7u3725han3t0s68bfgspcvq0if2@news.rcn.com>...

> I suspect that "grandfathered" status doesn't mean as much as you think it
> does.  Typically, TOS/AUP updates are considered acceded to if you continue to
> use the service without *explicitly* taking exception.  Now, you *might* be
> able to fight that in a court of law, if it ever comes down to that; but you
> really don't want to even be in that position -- SBC has more lawyers and
> deeper pockets to pay them than you do.

For sure not. However, I'm not sure vis a vis the TOS issue. I do
occupy some special nether-world of SBC. I tried to upgrade my account
and was informed that I could only downgrade it--in fact, that any
change would cause a downgrade.

It may all be moot anyway, given that the line just completely drops
out once or twice a day for a few seconds to a few minutes.

> Well, you could get a proper merchant account with your bank, and directly
> accept credit card payments.  Or, they could send you a check.  Seriously.

If I take in $20-$30 a month, I'll be doing as well a I expect to.
Prices on merchant accounts seem to have come down since I last used
one, but this really is just a personal website.

> I've not really looked into "alternative" third-party "online payment"
> schemes, as they don't really interest me in general (I've never used one, and
> don't intend to).  But regardless, PayPal are *known* scumballs (especially
> after they got Borged by eBay, an even bigger scumball outfit).

Heh. My alternatives all involve accepting credit cards or payments
from banks. Would you happen to have a listing of "non-scumball" banks
and credit card companies?

> Yes, I forgot about the "fallback" scenario; but as I mentioned in another
> article, I don't think you can really count on that to be reliable.

Don't need to.

> Granted, HostSave is a long-time unrepentant spamhaus; so you were right to
> flee.  But to NetSol/VeriSlime?!?  Why on Earth would you pick what has to be
> *the* best-known-to-be-completely-rogue registrar extant?

Didn't pick 'em. Host$ave did. I ended with them by default when I
cancelled my HostSave account. (HostSave wholesales from NetSol.) I
don't intend to renew with them.

> You *really* need to be more selective about who you do business with.

Right. No more "Goebbel's House Of Graphics".

> If you expected competence out of NetSol, you need to adjust your meds. <~>

I fixed it. Their MX editing feature is easy enough to use.

> You're welcome.  I agree that, at this point, it looks like some sort of
> configuration glitch in Merc.

Re-installing and leaving all the defaults in that I could seemed to
"fix" it.
0
dsbw
7/10/2004 4:59:18 AM
On 9 Jul 2004 21:24:20 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > "Tom Baker" <t3baker@gardenstreet.org> wrote in message

    [snip]
 > > Now make sure you get your security settings locked down tight. After all
 > > this work, the last thing you need is spammers highjacking your server!
 > > :-)
 >
 > No kidding. I don't relay non-local mail (at all). I seem to pass all
 > the spam relay tests. My general traffic should be low enough that I
 > can spot any abuse pretty quickly. (I hope.)

    [snip]

Under [Configuration | MercuryC SMTP Server | Connection Control | Relaying
Control], you should have ALL FOUR checkboxes checked (unless this is a
"Smarthosting" box which only sends mail through another server, and therefore
you are strictly prohibiting ALL "outside" access to it -- typically via your
firewall, and/or a [0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255] "Refuse" entry under
[Configuration | MercuryC SMTP Server | Connection Control | Connection
Control], in combination with explicit "Allow" entries for ONLY those IP
addresses which actually exist on your local LAN).  You *may* need to "juggle*
the order in which you check/uncheck those boxes to finally wind up with them
ALL checked; but do it.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/11/2004 10:49:15 AM
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:14:06 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
n4mwd.dont.spam.me@amsat.org wrote:

    [snip]

 > Without a contract, the more likely scenario is that they will simply
 > say "sign the contract or get cut off".  Everybody is bound by the AUP
 > which simply says "These are our rules, break them and your internet
 > connection won't work anymore."  You "sign" that contract by using the
 > connection - just like you "sign" a credit card contract by using the
 > card.

    [snip]

Which is probably unenforceable, if it ever really comes down to a
knock-down-drag-out in court.  Contracts (and contract terms) CANNOT be
imposed unilaterally; there MUST be a "meeting of the minds" for a contract to
be considered valid and binding -- which, BTW, is what makes at least most
shrink-wrap/click-wrap software "licenses" meaningless crap.

However, as I said to Blake...  You *really* don't ever want to have that
knock-down-drag-out in court, because the lawyer bills will kill you even if
you "win".

 > Now I've got a question:  If you plan on having other users, how to do
 > plan on getting them to connect?  Are you going to have dialup PPP
 > accounts or something else?

    [snip]

Was this directed at me?

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/11/2004 10:49:20 AM
On 9 Jul 2004 21:59:18 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

    [snip]

 > If I take in $20-$30 a month, I'll be doing as well a I expect to.
 > Prices on merchant accounts seem to have come down since I last used
 > one, but this really is just a personal website.

    [snip]

Then I suggest that you either bite the bullet and eat that $20-$30 a month,
or take checks, contributions in kind, etc. -- and frankly, eating the costs
is probably better in the long run, considering the tax hassles of accounting
for that "income".  Either way, is $20-$30 a month really worth the sullying
of your personal integrity -- at least in folks' perception -- that the PayPal
association will inevitably bring?

 > Heh. My alternatives all involve accepting credit cards or payments
 > from banks. Would you happen to have a listing of "non-scumball" banks
 > and credit card companies?

    [snip]

Well, the smallish local bank I use for some of my personal accounts has
always earned high marks on both the integrity and customer service fronts;
but I won't recommend them to you because I think part of the reason for that
is that I *do* have an ongoing multi-account relationship with them (besides,
they're probably not local to *you*).  Not all are like that, I know...  One
of the other banks I use (mostly because of an old "legacy" trust fund that I
*really* wish were elsewhere) is the exact opposite:  It has repeatedly
"morphed" from one identity to another through a string of mergers and
buy-outs, to the point that they are *way* too big for their own (or anyone
else's) good, provide rotten service, with an even worse attitude, and it's
next-to-impossible to maintain a "working relationship" with ANY Branch
Manager or similar due to "musical employee" syndrome... yuck!  But if you can
find a good SMALL bank, grab it and hold on for dear life.

 > Re-installing and leaving all the defaults in that I could seemed to
 > "fix" it.

Congratulations!

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/11/2004 10:49:21 AM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

> Which is probably unenforceable, if it ever really comes down to a
> knock-down-drag-out in court.  Contracts (and contract terms) CANNOT be
> imposed unilaterally; there MUST be a "meeting of the minds" for a contract to
> be considered valid and binding -- which, BTW, is what makes at least most
> shrink-wrap/click-wrap software "licenses" meaningless crap.

Probably true, but don't forget that the ISP has their fingers on the
plug.  If they don't like you, they can pull it.

>  > Now I've got a question:  If you plan on having other users, how to do
>  > plan on getting them to connect?  Are you going to have dialup PPP
>  > accounts or something else?
>  >
>     [snip]
>
> Was this directed at me?

Directed at anybody who wants to answer it.  If the 'accounts' are
close enough, they can connect by wireless lan or simply by a long run
of cat-5.  However, I am curious if anybody has ever installed a ppp
server on win98 for access to mercury.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
 A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
 A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

0
n4mwd
7/11/2004 1:20:00 PM
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:49:21 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
<not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

>Either way, is $20-$30 a month really worth the sullying
>of your personal integrity -- at least in folks' perception -- that the PayPal
>association will inevitably bring?

I think you are bit behind the times, Jay.  Paypal has become another
means of transacting business, period.  There are many reputable sites
that use this as the primary means of tranferring funds.

Whether you like it or not, EBay and Paypal are now part of the
mainstream.  However, there will always be some who remember the past
more than understand the current and hold to the outlook of integrity
being degraded by using either or both.

BTW, I don't have a Paypal account for my use in collecting funds, but
I certainly use it when disbursing funds and have no qualms in doing
so.

mike
0
mbpatpas
7/11/2004 9:23:29 PM
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:23:29 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:

 > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:49:21 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
 > <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:
 >
 > >Either way, is $20-$30 a month really worth the sullying
 > >of your personal integrity -- at least in folks' perception -- that the
 > >PayPal association will inevitably bring?
 >
 > I think you are bit behind the times, Jay.
    [snip]

I don't think so.

 > Paypal has become another
 > means of transacting business, period.
    [snip]

On the contrary, since being "Borged" by eBay, it has become even more
unpalatable than it had been prior to that time.

 > There are many reputable sites
 > that use this as the primary means of tranferring funds.

    [snip]

If you say so.  But by my lights, that borders on being an oxymoron.  Any
business entity which is dependant on PayPal for their "primary means of
tranferring[sic] funds" is _at_best_ a small-time amateur "wannabe".

 > Whether you like it or not, EBay and Paypal are now part of the
 > mainstream.
    [snip]

Translation:  Hordes of newbie idiots have flocked to it.  And this is
supposed to inspire confidence for *what* reason, exactly?

 > However, there will always be some who remember the past
 > more than understand the current and hold to the outlook of integrity
 > being degraded by using either or both.

    [snip]

Really?  Has the world suddenly started spinning the opposite direction while
I wasn't looking?  That would be at least as likely as eBay ever morphing into
an ethical company.  They are spammers and scammers themselves, and they
deliberately invite and encourage other spammers and scammers, caring only
that they get their cut of the action.

<http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=39121977-39024667t-40000019c>
<http://www.fazmiclaw.com/Complaint.pdf>
<http://www.ygoodman.com/ppjudge.html>
<http://www.xatrix.org/print.php?s=712>
<http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/05/28/ebay.lawsuit.ap/>
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/subs/article/0,15114,450899,00.html>
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,389897,00.html>
<http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/print.php/3093891>
<http://www.grayzone.com/ebay1.htm>
<http://www.atg.wa.gov/releases/rel_officepc_032801.html>
<http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/pressroom/2003_04/043003.html>
<http://www.retailersma.org/RetailIssues/New_item_pricing_pressrelease.htm>
<http://www.komu.com/html/htmlTarget8/ebay_scam_part1.html>

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet01[at]appropriate-tech.net

   -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law.  Violators are subject to prosecution.
0
Jay
7/26/2004 7:30:46 PM
Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in message news:<2f22f09mqbg444nv0lq1tf0ln6t89sm4rv@news.rcn.com>...

> Under [Configuration | MercuryC SMTP Server | Connection Control | Relaying
> Control], you should have ALL FOUR checkboxes checked (unless this is a
> "Smarthosting" box which only sends mail through another server, and therefore
> you are strictly prohibiting ALL "outside" access to it -- typically via your
> firewall, and/or a [0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255] "Refuse" entry under
> [Configuration | MercuryC SMTP Server | Connection Control | Connection
> Control], in combination with explicit "Allow" entries for ONLY those IP
> addresses which actually exist on your local LAN).  You *may* need to "juggle*
> the order in which you check/uncheck those boxes to finally wind up with them
> ALL checked; but do it.

If I check more than the topmost one, I can't send mail through
SquirrelMail. Which was the point of the exercise.

I've put in the local IP addresses as "allow", which allowed me to
send mail through PHP (which had been a problem up till now).

Obviously I'm missing something since I thought that all mails
originated on my website would be "local" (and not, therefore, a
relay). I can see why password authentication would fail, but I'm not
sure what to do about it. (Other than get me a Mercury manual....)
0
dsbw
7/27/2004 9:02:47 AM
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:30:46 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
<not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:23:29 GMT, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
>mbpatpas.invalid@pacbell.net (Mike Preston) wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:49:21 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
> > <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Either way, is $20-$30 a month really worth the sullying
> > >of your personal integrity -- at least in folks' perception -- that the
> > >PayPal association will inevitably bring?
> >
> > I think you are bit behind the times, Jay.
>    [snip]
>
>I don't think so.

Think again.

> > Paypal has become another
> > means of transacting business, period.
>    [snip]
>
>On the contrary, since being "Borged" by eBay, it has become even more
>unpalatable than it had been prior to that time.

How is that?

> > There are many reputable sites
> > that use this as the primary means of tranferring funds.
> >
>    [snip]
>
>If you say so.  But by my lights, that borders on being an oxymoron.  Any
>business entity which is dependant on PayPal for their "primary means of
>tranferring[sic] funds" is _at_best_ a small-time amateur "wannabe".

Possibly.  Possibly they are just cognizant of an effective and
efficient way of transferring funds between buyer and seller.

> > Whether you like it or not, EBay and Paypal are now part of the
> > mainstream.
>    [snip]
>
>Translation:  Hordes of newbie idiots have flocked to it.  And this is
>supposed to inspire confidence for *what* reason, exactly?

Some are not such newbies.  Most are not such idiots.

I would say that Paypal is probably the absolute most efficient way of
transferring funds across international borders.  Far less risky than
giving out account information.  You still have 30 days to "object",
much better than sending cash, a money order or wire transfer.  In the
case of international transfers of funds for internet-delivered goods
(such as software) you have to be pretty much the fool to use any
mechanism other than paypal (or a similar paypal wannabe).

> > However, there will always be some who remember the past
> > more than understand the current and hold to the outlook of integrity
> > being degraded by using either or both.
> >
>    [snip]
>
>Really?  Has the world suddenly started spinning the opposite direction while
>I wasn't looking?

Perhaps.

>  That would be at least as likely as eBay ever morphing into
>an ethical company.  They are spammers and scammers themselves, and they
>deliberately invite and encourage other spammers and scammers, caring only
>that they get their cut of the action.

Jealosy?  A bit of the green monster welling up within?

A company the size of ebay will have its share of those that attempt
to use the system in an immoral manner.  To think that the company
encourages this is ignorant beyond comprehension of all things
corporate.

><http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=39121977-39024667t-40000019c>
><http://www.fazmiclaw.com/Complaint.pdf>
><http://www.ygoodman.com/ppjudge.html>
><http://www.xatrix.org/print.php?s=712>
><http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/05/28/ebay.lawsuit.ap/>
><http://www.fortune.com/fortune/subs/article/0,15114,450899,00.html>
><http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,389897,00.html>
><http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/print.php/3093891>
><http://www.grayzone.com/ebay1.htm>
><http://www.atg.wa.gov/releases/rel_officepc_032801.html>
><http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/pressroom/2003_04/043003.html>
><http://www.retailersma.org/RetailIssues/New_item_pricing_pressrelease.htm>
><http://www.komu.com/html/htmlTarget8/ebay_scam_part1.html>

As indicated above, can you eliminate the cites that are, say, 5 years
old?  Most of these (I didn't look at them all) are about marginal
activities or failure to adapt to changing business conditions.  Yawn.

Gee, if you were in the corporate world and deciding whether or not to
award a contract to IBM, you might notice that they are an eBay vendor
and conclude the company didn't warrant your business.  You might be
right, but for the wrong reasons.

eBay may not make it long term. Paypal might bite the dust.

But for now, they are mainstream for those that pay sufficient
attention to the paradigm to understand how it works.  It isn't
perfect.  It most certainly is subject to strong currents.  There are
many that must adapt to those currents or they will fail.  If they
choose to throw in the towel, that is a business decision, as was
eBay's in creating the environment that caused them to do so.

How many car dealers have been sued for various things?  A class
action against Ford isn't unheard of.

mike

mike

0
mbpatpas
7/27/2004 5:43:40 PM
On 27 Jul 2004 02:02:47 -0700, in <comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc>,
dsbw@pacbell.net (Blake) wrote:

 > Jay T. Blocksom <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote in
 > message news:<2f22f09mqbg444nv0lq1tf0ln6t89sm4rv@news.rcn.com>...
 > >
 > > Under [Configuration | MercuryC SMTP Server | Connection Control |
 > > Relaying Control],
    [snip]

Arrrrggghhh..  Typo alert!  That of course *should* be:

[Configuration | MercuryS SMTP Server | Connection Control | Relaying Control]
                 ^^^^^^^^

But hopefully, you figured that out.

 > > you should have ALL FOUR checkboxes checked (unless this is a
 > > "Smarthosting" box which only sends mail through another server, and
 > > therefore you are strictly prohibiting ALL "outside" access to it --
    [snip]

 > If I check more than the topmost one, I can't send mail through
 > SquirrelMail. Which was the point of the exercise.

    [snip]

Hmmm...  That doesn't make a lot of sense.  But then, I've not played with
SquirrelMail.

 > I've put in the local IP addresses as "allow", which allowed me to
 > send mail through PHP (which had been a problem up till now).

    [snip]

That should cover the "Use strict local relaying restrictions" checkbox.
Don't forget the final "Refuse [0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255]" fall-through
entry.

As for the last two checkboxes...  Does SquirrelMail not do SMTP AUTH?

 > Obviously I'm missing something since I thought that all mails
 > originated on my website would be "local"
    [snip]

And apparently, they are indeed being considered such, since having that first
checkbox ("Do not permit SMTP relaying of non-local mail") checked does not
kill your ability to relay mail from SquirrelMail.

 > (and not, therefore, a relay).
    [snip]

Ahhh...  But that's not *quite* the same thing.

If, for example, you have <www.mydomain.tld> and/or <squirrel.mydomain.tld>
*and* <mercury.mydomain.tld> (or perhaps simply <mail.mydomain.tld>), these
are all different hosts, even tho' they may be part of the same domain (they
may even be hosted on the same physical box).  Mail originating at
<squirrel.mydomain.tld> and subsequently being sent via SMTP through
<mercury.mydomain.tld>, then onward to <someuser@whatever.tld> *is* being
relayed by <mercury.mydomain.tld>.

 > I can see why password authentication would fail, but I'm not
 > sure what to do about it. (Other than get me a Mercury manual....)

Why should it fail?  (Again, I'm presuming that SquirrelMail does SMTP AUTH;
but I don't really know that.)  The thing to remember is that it is
*SquirrelMail* that needs to AUTH itself to Merc, not whatever user had
(earlier) told SquirrelMail to go do something.  (Obviously, SquirrelMail also
needs to do its own user-authentication on the input side, in order to prevent
it from accepting those "go do something" instructions from folks it
shouldn't; but that's another issue entirely.)

--

Jay T. Blocksom