How to reduce retry-time for deferred mail-hosts? #2

Hi,

I think that "sendmail -v -q" only forwards queued messages to the
destination mail server if the destination mail server is no longer in
the state "Deferred: Connection time.." as I can see with hoststat.

How can I speed this up or how can I manually clear this deferred-state
so that mails are forwarded immediately (like I wanted through the
sendmail-option "-q15m")?

Kind Regards,
Chris

In article <3ffd8644$0$15744$91cee783@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at>
Christoph Werner <christoph-w@gmx.at> writes:

>I think that "sendmail -v -q" only forwards queued messages to the
>destination mail server if the destination mail server is no longer in
>the state "Deferred: Connection time.." as I can see with hoststat.
>
>How can I speed this up or how can I manually clear this deferred-state
>so that mails are forwarded immediately (like I wanted through the
>sendmail-option "-q15m")?

If you don't want the "persistent host status" functionality, it seems
that you simply shouldn't use it - it's not enabled by default in a
standard sendmail config. Just remove the confHOST_STATUS_DIRECTORY
define() from your .mc file, rebuild sendmail.cf, and restart sendmail.
You probably want to do a 'rm -r' of the directory too.

Otherwise, to answer your questions:

1) See confTO_HOSTSTATUS in cf/README.

2) Use one of the -QI/-qR/-qS sepcifiers (see the man page) - these
   cause persistent host status to be ignored. (Using -qR@ will probably
   be equivalent to "everything".)

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org