Setting "From:" in "vacation"

The "vacation" program (both the old binary and the newer perl) creates
messages from the user saying he'll read his mail when he gets back.
Trouble is, they seem to come from user@localhost.localnet instead of
user@company.com, so the recipient might not recognise them and even
bin them as spam. He certainly can't reply to them.
I can't see a setting in vacation for this - is there a way for
sendmail settings to fix this?

TIA
Mike Yates

0
trawled (5)

<trawled@fonehelp.co.uk> wrote in message

> The "vacation" program (both the old binary and the newer perl)
> creates messages from the user saying he'll read his mail when he
> gets back. Trouble is, they seem to come from user@localhost.localnet
> instead of user@company.com, so the recipient might not recognise
> them and even bin them as spam. He certainly can't reply to them.
> I can't see a setting in vacation for this - is there a way for
> sendmail settings to fix this?

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.1
0
ynotssor (750)
8/1/2005 9:24:11 PM
Meanwhile I've fixed it, but the FAQ had little to do with it.
I was using Redhat9, whose sendmail does not include vacation, but
there's an RPM in "Contrib". That is an old version without -s, -l or
-d options so I installed Igor Livshit's latest Perl version.
The problem then was that sendmail was using the old version from
/usr/bin, despite .forward actually SPECIFYING /usr/local/bin/vacation
!!
#mv /usr/bin/vacation /usr/bin/vataion-old
#ln -s /usr/local/bin/vatation /usr/bin/vacation
has fixed it completely.

0
trawled (5)
8/2/2005 3:08:55 PM
Well without the typos:-
 #mv /usr/bin/vacation /usr/bin/vacation-old
#ln -s /usr/local/bin/vacation /usr/bin/vacation

0
trawled (5)