Sandman
0
Sandman

On 12/18/2016 11:55 AM, Sandman wrote:

> So, I have a Netgear ReadyNAS which is a few generations old, and runs Debian 4
> with a dual-core Pentium at 1.8Ghz. And well, it's struggling to really deliver
> 1080p bluray files over the network some times.
>
> So, I would want to replace it, building something from scratch. I was thinking
> a small mini-tower that size-wise is the same as a Netgear ReadyNAS (since it's
> supposed to be in the same physical location), some really nice CPU for being
> able to transcode mkv-files on the fly without a hitch but still keeping cool
> without a huge noisy fan.
>
> Also a case with enough space for storage as well, and preferably a mobo with
> dual ethernet ports.
>
> Any ideas?

http://blog.brianmoses.net/2016/02/diy-nas-2016-edition.html

0
DFS
12/18/2016 5:07:09 PM
On 2016-12-18, Sandman <mr@sandman.net> wrote:

> So, I have a Netgear ReadyNAS which is a few generations old, and runs Debian 4
> with a dual-core Pentium at 1.8Ghz. And well, it's struggling to really deliver
> 1080p bluray files over the network some times.
>
> So, I would want to replace it, building something from scratch. I was thinking
> a small mini-tower that size-wise is the same as a Netgear ReadyNAS (since it's
> supposed to be in the same physical location), some really nice CPU for being
> able to transcode mkv-files on the fly without a hitch but still keeping cool
> without a huge noisy fan.
>
> Also a case with enough space for storage as well, and preferably a mobo with
> dual ethernet ports.
>
> Any ideas?

Right now I am running an iXsystems build FreeNAS Mini. The NAS OS is
free so you could download that and use it on your hardware and see what
you think. FreeNAS is essentially a FreeBSD distro specifically designed
to be a NAS OS. If you do this I recommend a minimum of 4 hard drives,
plus a 5th device to boot from. FreeNAS is similar these other NAS
products in that it features add-ons for media. You'll want to use a
XEON or a server-grade Atom which supports ECC memory. FreeNAS and ZFS
in particular make use of ECC memory.

Now, I've been waiting almost a month for Dell to ship a RAID controller
to me for a T130 I bought about 6 weeks ago. This is to be a testing box
which will ultimately have two small RAID 1 sets. 2x1 GB for boot, and
2x4GB for KVMs. I've been testing KVMs, although not as quickly as I'd
like since I am still waiting for part of the hardware to arrive. I plan
to use XFS and up to four KVMs at once on the box to be a SAMBA server,
a DNS server, an SSH gateway and so on. I'll likely try AFP as well. And
if I like the results I'll likely buy a T430 with more space to be my
central server which will host my email, git, samba, nfs and so on.

What you can do is create a simple samba server and place all your media
there. And then run a second box which acts like the TV device and gets
media from the samba share. Right now for example I have a large
directory in the FreeNAS mini which is SMB shared. And my Apple TV is
running VLC which has access to the SMB share. So on the Apple TV I can
watch all the content on my FreeNAS mini. But as you can tell from the
architecture, this will work equally well when I switch to an XFS samba
server running a KVM on the Dell T130 server. As long as the media is
available via the SMB protocol, it won't matter what hosts it.

I do the same for music. That is an SMB share and applications like
Sonos player have access to the music. So any device, such as my iPad
and iPhone interact with the Sonos speakers and the content shared on
the SMB server to play music to any Sonos speakers.

So the FreeNAS is not attached to a TV. It act more like a typical
server and is simply the backend.

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny