Another Successful KDE test

Although -- out of box -- I liked Maui better than Linux Mint KDE 18,
once I customized Linux Mint to taste I think I may like a bit better
now. Of the three choices for Menu behavior ... Application Dashboard
(fullscreen like Maui's default), Application Launcher and Application
Menu, I liked the Dashboard best. (Thought I would like the Menu option
better, but that didn't work out.) The one I liked least was their
default Application Launcher -- which seemed cramped and hard to use.
Once I changed that I liked the distribution much better. (A little
thing, I know -- but choosing applications is important.)

I had a heck of a time getting the icons the way I like them (bigger and
running along the left edge -- traditional style) until I realized I
could open up Nautilus and make changes to the icons on the Desktop
folder there. I would like to get rid of the little "three line Menu
thingie" that originally started at the top-left corner, but it seems
stubborn. Finally figured out I could just move it to the top-right
corner and ignore it.

Pan, SimpleNote and Yakuake work well -- had to install all three.
Firefox came with normal Linux Mint home page and search options (which I
always change). Once I added Adblock Plus and One Tab add-ons, I felt
right at home I had to add three virtual desktops and desktop "pager" to
the panel. Unlike Maui, Linux Mint KDE comes default with one-click
instead of double-click, which I like.

One issue I had was with Amarok (the music player). It kept wanting me to
add codecs to play my music -- even thought they had already been added.
Once I did get it to play, I had issues with it locking up. Maybe the
update would have taken care of this -- but I'm using the current
downloadable ISO from the thumb drive and -- unless I want to install to
hard drive, updates are not practical. I solved the problem by installing
Audacious and making it my preferred music application. I like Audacious
a lot better anyhow -- Amarok is one of those music applications that
wants to "collect" all your music by searching the entire hard drive.

LibreOffice is solid (as expected) and this distribution doesn't come
preloaded with any games (like all Linux Mint flavors).

Linux Mint KDE 18 has been running on this computer for almost two days
via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
or what I'm missing.

Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.

Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0

On 12/19/16, 5:03 PM, in article o39sgj$844$1@dont-email.me, "RonB"
<ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> LibreOffice is solid (as expected) and this distribution doesn't come
> preloaded with any games (like all Linux Mint flavors).
>
> Linux Mint KDE 18 has been running on this computer for almost two days
> via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
> drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
> or what I'm missing.
>
> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>
> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.

How about, you know, getting TASKS done?

Sigh.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them

0
Snit
12/20/2016 12:32:42 AM
On 2016-12-19 7:03 PM, RonB wrote:
> [...]
>
> LibreOffice is solid (as expected) and this distribution doesn't come
> preloaded with any games (like all Linux Mint flavors).
>
> Linux Mint KDE 18 has been running on this computer for almost two days
> via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
> drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
> or what I'm missing.
>
> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>
> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.

You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/20/2016 12:39:03 AM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:39:03 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:

> [...]
>> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
>> or what I'm missing.
>>
>> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
>> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
>> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
>> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
>> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>>
>> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.
>
> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.

Try Maui Linux. It's gorgeous looking right out of the box.
Just installed it in a VM and it seems to be doing well.

Here is a picture I posted, making fun of Marek and proving I at least
run Linux.
Notice how the loons went silent.

http://imgur.com/a/bKfo7

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:39:03 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:

> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.

I'll check it out.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0
On 12/19/2016 08:32 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:

> Try Maui Linux. It's gorgeous looking right out of the box.
> Just installed it in a VM and it seems to be doing well.
>
> Here is a picture I posted, making fun of Marek and proving I at least
> run Linux.
> Notice how the loons went silent.
>
> http://imgur.com/a/bKfo7

That IS a nice-looking desktop.

I'm having trouble reading a couple things, though:

* is marek an idiot?

* is it 12:16 PM?

:)
0
DFS
12/20/2016 1:44:11 AM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:44:11 -0500, DFS wrote:

> On 12/19/2016 08:32 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>

>> Try Maui Linux. It's gorgeous looking right out of the box.
>> Just installed it in a VM and it seems to be doing well.
>>
>> Here is a picture I posted, making fun of Marek and proving I at least
>> run Linux.
>> Notice how the loons went silent.
>>
>> http://imgur.com/a/bKfo7
>

> That IS a nice-looking desktop.
>

> I'm having trouble reading a couple things, though:
>
> * is marek an idiot?
>
> * is it 12:16 PM?
>

> :)

Correct on all counts!

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:32:42 -0700, Snit wrote:

> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?

How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.

This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.

--
Testing Korora 25 KDE
0
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:39:03 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:

> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.

I haven't gotten to the tinkering part of it yet. I'm trying it on my
laptop with a thumb drive installation -- which uses a nVidia graphics
card. The real test will be on desktop. On first boot it locks at the
Splash Screen, but if I hit the "off" switch, it gives a faded screen and
mouse cursor and one of my choices is "reboot." When I reboot from within
Korora, it finds the nVidia driver and works well. Still, I don't like
the little glitch. The real test will come when I try it on my desktop --
that's the only way this can be consistent. Another thing I don't
particularly like is that it nags me about KDE Wallet when I connect to
the Internet via WiFi. I don't know yet how to tell it to leave me alone,
but if I cancel out enough it quits nagging me. Installing inxi and pan
required I use yum again -- which I haven't done in years. Actually, when
I typed sudo yum install ... it nagged me about using dnf instead and
directed me to something about yum2dnf.

But I guess I should quit typing for now because "Snit" is so scandalized
about OTHERS wasting their time talking about Linux in a Linux newsgroup.
I guess trolling 24/7 is a worthwhile "task."

--
Testing Korora 25 KDE
0
<ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:39:03 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
>> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
>> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
>> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
>> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.
>
> I haven't gotten to the tinkering part of it yet. I'm trying it on my
> laptop with a thumb drive installation -- which uses a nVidia graphics
> card. The real test will be on desktop. On first boot it locks at the
> Splash Screen, but if I hit the "off" switch, it gives a faded screen and
> mouse cursor and one of my choices is "reboot." When I reboot from within
> Korora, it finds the nVidia driver and works well. Still, I don't like
> the little glitch.

Yeah... that is pretty much a deal killer for any general desktop. You and I
and other geeky folks can get around it to tinker, but it is not something
you would want to happen on a regular basis.

> The real test will come when I try it on my desktop --
> that's the only way this can be consistent.

Wow... consistency matters to you. :)

> Another thing I don't
> particularly like is that it nags me about KDE Wallet when I connect to
> the Internet via WiFi. I don't know yet how to tell it to leave me alone,
> but if I cancel out enough it quits nagging me. Installing inxi and pan
> required I use yum again -- which I haven't done in years. Actually, when
> I typed sudo yum install ... it nagged me about using dnf instead and
> directed me to something about yum2dnf.
>
> But I guess I should quit typing for now because "Snit" is so scandalized
> about OTHERS wasting their time talking about Linux in a Linux newsgroup.
> I guess trolling 24/7 is a worthwhile "task."

Seriously, WTF? Remember, I am the one who encourages people to speak about
technology. I sincerely thank you for doing so... even if you feel the need
to troll as you do it.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/20/2016 7:06:58 AM
On 12/19/16, 11:22 PM, in article o3aimq$spo$1@dont-email.me, "RonB"
<ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:32:42 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>
> How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
> on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>
> This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
> Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.

So you cannot think of any tasks it does well and that makes you feel
insecure. OK.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/20/2016 7:07:23 AM
> slime wrote:
>>
>> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
>> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
>> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
>> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
>> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.

Huh.  Haven't you previously posted that it's a mistake to even give
GNU/Linux a chance?  That it's a waste of time?  That you would "never
again touch GNU/Linux or anything running the Linux kernel."

Seriously, "Slimer", what's the deal with being a trolling dipshit
whose word means absolutely nothing?

--
"Because Linux has robbed us of our precious time in some cases and
our dignity in others. As a result, we feel the need to prevent others
On 2016-12-20 1:43 AM, RonB wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:39:03 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
>> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
>> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
>> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
>> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.
>
> I haven't gotten to the tinkering part of it yet. I'm trying it on my
> laptop with a thumb drive installation -- which uses a nVidia graphics
> card. The real test will be on desktop. On first boot it locks at the
> Splash Screen, but if I hit the "off" switch, it gives a faded screen and
> mouse cursor and one of my choices is "reboot." When I reboot from within
> Korora, it finds the nVidia driver and works well. Still, I don't like
> the little glitch. The real test will come when I try it on my desktop --
> that's the only way this can be consistent. Another thing I don't
> particularly like is that it nags me about KDE Wallet when I connect to
> the Internet via WiFi. I don't know yet how to tell it to leave me alone,
> but if I cancel out enough it quits nagging me. Installing inxi and pan
> required I use yum again -- which I haven't done in years. Actually, when
> I typed sudo yum install ... it nagged me about using dnf instead and
> directed me to something about yum2dnf.

I'm not a fan of KDE myself so I wasn't able to spot these issues. In
GNOME, it worked well. However, admittedly, installing the NVIDIA driver
caused the system to lock up on reboot. After trying to boot with the
"rescue" kernel (which didn't work), it seemed to boot fine. Not sure if
it fixed anything but I didn't do anything manually. Either way, I
enjoyed the experience and will probably favour Linux when I move to the
operating system full time. It was the first Linux distribution that I
_really_ enjoyed because it takes everything I like (Fedora, GNOME and
stability) and serves it on a plate.

> But I guess I should quit typing for now because "Snit" is so scandalized
> about OTHERS wasting their time talking about Linux in a Linux newsgroup.
> I guess trolling 24/7 is a worthwhile "task."

Meh, he's easy to disregard.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/20/2016 1:29:16 PM
On 2016-12-20 8:07 AM, chrisv wrote:
>> slime wrote:
>>>
>>> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether you'd
>>> be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based on
>>> Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It also
>>> comes with all of the important repositories already installed so very
>>> little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.
>
> Huh.  Haven't you previously posted that it's a mistake to even give
> GNU/Linux a chance?  That it's a waste of time?  That you would "never
> again touch GNU/Linux or anything running the Linux kernel."
>
> Seriously, "Slimer", what's the deal with being a trolling dipshit
> whose word means absolutely nothing?

Korora 25 isn't perfect. However, it's as close as it comes to being
perfect in the Linux world for me. Bluetooth issues need to be addressed
for MSI machines (well known and not only in Korora) and somebody at
NVIDIA needs to figure out the colour cycling issue in the driver but
otherwise, it runs beautifully.

That said, I truly don't care whether my opinion holds any kind of
weight to you.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/20/2016 1:38:56 PM
On 20/12/2016 00:32, Snit wrote:
> [...]
>> preloaded with any games (like all Linux Mint flavors).
>>
>> Linux Mint KDE 18 has been running on this computer for almost two days
>> via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
>> drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
>> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
>> or what I'm missing.
>>
>> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
>> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
>> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
>> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
>> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>>
>> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.
>
> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?

Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
most COLA users are concerned.
0
Desk
12/20/2016 1:59:04 PM
RonB wrote:

>How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
>on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>
>This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
>Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.

Most tasks, on desktop Linux done pretty-much like they are on other
modern OS's, with some differences in philosophy and look/feel.

--
"Now Linosuck joins Lying Dumbkopf and JED as fools who believe all
the Star Wars movies were rendered on Linux."  -  Dumfsck, lying
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 07:07:48 -0600, chrisv wrote:

>> slime wrote:
>>>
>>> You're a lot more experienced with Linux and am wondering whether
>>> you'd be willing to give Korora Linux's KDE flavour a try. It's based
>>> on Fedora 25 (which got stellar reviews) and is truly rock-solid. It
>>> also comes with all of the important repositories already installed so
>>> very little tinkering is necessary to get things working beautifully.
>
> Huh.  Haven't you previously posted that it's a mistake to even give
> GNU/Linux a chance?  That it's a waste of time?  That you would "never
> again touch GNU/Linux or anything running the Linux kernel."
>
> Seriously, "Slimer", what's the deal with being a trolling dipshit whose
> word means absolutely nothing?

If he's talking about Linux, that's a good thing.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:18:48 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> RonB wrote:
>
>>How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
>>on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>>
>>This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking
>>about Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless
>>assholes.
>
> Most tasks, on desktop Linux done pretty-much like they are on other
> modern OS's, with some differences in philosophy and look/feel.

And a whole lot less worrying about malware and bitrot.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0
On 2016-12-20 8:59 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
> [...]
>>> via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
>>> drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
>>> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
>>> or what I'm missing.
>>>
>>> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
>>> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
>>> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
>>> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
>>> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>>>
>>> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.
>>
>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>>
>> Sigh.
>>

> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as

I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/20/2016 3:25:31 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 06:22:18 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:32:42 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>
> How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
> on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>
> This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
> Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.

Tinker, tinker, tinker.

It's a good thing Linux works so poorly because at least it keeps you
Linux loons off the streets.

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench
On 2016-12-20 9:56 AM, RonB wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:18:48 -0600, chrisv wrote:
>
>> RonB wrote:
>>
>>> How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
>>> on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>>>
>>> This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking
>>> about Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless
>>> assholes.
>>
>> Most tasks, on desktop Linux done pretty-much like they are on other
>> modern OS's, with some differences in philosophy and look/feel.
>
> And a whole lot less worrying about malware and bitrot.

+1. It truly is impressive the way Linux resists the latter.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/20/2016 5:24:00 PM
On 12/20/16, 6:59 AM, in article o3bdch$k8t$1@deskrabbit.motzarella.org,
"Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote:

>>> Linux Mint KDE 18 has been running on this computer for almost two days
>>> via the thumb drive and I do everything with it that I do on my hard-
>>> drive installed Linux Mint Mate -- so another rock-solid choice. Unlike
>>> Maui, it uses KDE 5.6.x instead of 5.8.x -- don't know what's different
>>> or what I'm missing.
>>>
>>> Meant to add -- my Brother HL-2280DW network printer installed within
>>> minutes with built-in drivers and I've been using it ever since. If I was
>>> going to install Mint KDE permanently I would download and install the
>>> Brother drivers. Mint KDE had no problem recognizing my Dell Monitor and
>>> I'm running it at full resolution and at 75 Mhz refresh rate.
>>>
>>> Another keeper from Linux Mint. Maybe I'll try their Xfce version next.
>>
>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>>
>> Sigh.
>>

> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
> most COLA users are concerned.

I am fine with fiddling with distros... hey, how else does the techy learn
the differences and their own preferences... but it is amazingly rare how
they actually talk about the end-goal of any tool: getting tasks done.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/20/2016 6:17:54 PM
On 12/19/16 23:22, RonB wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:32:42 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>
> How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
> on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>
> This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
> Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.

LOL!!!  Pretty much to the point... but then your point most likely flew
way over his head.

0
GreyCloud
12/20/2016 9:01:08 PM
On 12/20/16, 2:01 PM, in article o3c640$h1t$14@dont-email.me, "GreyCloud"
<mist@cumulus.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/16 23:22, RonB wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:32:42 -0700, Snit wrote:
>>
>>> How about, you know, getting TASKS done?
>>
>> How about, you know, you try FUCKING off? Like you have any high ground
>> on not wasting time. You lying hypocrite.
>>
>> This is a Linux newsgroup. Got it? If you don't like people talking about
>> Linux then go somewhere else and mingle with other worthless assholes.
>>

> LOL!!!  Pretty much to the point... but then your point most likely flew
> way over his head.

To be fair, his post was about Linux. My response was in reaction to his
past trolling... my mistake.

I can own that.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/20/2016 9:24:12 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:25:31 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:

> On 2016-12-20 8:59 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:

>> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
>> most COLA users are concerned.

Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
for "switching distros."

> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.

I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
"cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0
<ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
>> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
>> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
>> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
>> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
>> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
>> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
>> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
>> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
>> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
>> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.
>
> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.

Tried Maui today for the first time... was shocked to see how much KDE has
grown and how much better it is than the last time I looked at it. Truly
just blown away by the improvement.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/21/2016 1:07:28 AM
RonB wrote:

>> Dunce Rabbit wrote:
>>>
>>> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
>>> most COLA users are concerned.
>
>Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
>boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
>almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
>I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
>Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
>for "switching distros."

Shitty trolls have decided -  *your* hobbies is *bad*.  It's not on
the list of "committee approved" hobbies, like watching TV, or fooling
around on Facebook, or building model airplanes, or fishing, or going
for walks.

You will be ridiculed by trolling shit!

--
"So you have nothing better to do with your life but to download every
distro that comes out."  -  trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel"
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 00:58:53 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:25:31 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> On 2016-12-20 8:59 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>>> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
>>> most COLA users are concerned.
>
> Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
> boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
> almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
> I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
> Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
> for "switching distros."
>
>> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
>> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
>> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
>> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
>> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
>> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
>> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
>> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
>> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
>> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
>> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.
>
> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.

I've been tinkering with Maui a little and it seems pretty nice to me.
I'm still running in a VM but I'll commit to bare metal at some point.

I know I pull the Linux advocates chains about tinkering with Linux,
but Linux encourages that to some degree and knowledge is power so in
the scheme of things it's a lot better as a hobby than watching some
crap reality TV show.
BTW I've more or less given up on TV as well. Just the science,
history and oldie's stations showing re-runs of Dobie Gillis etc.
The rest of it is crap.

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench
On 2016-12-20 7:58 PM, RonB wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:25:31 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> On 2016-12-20 8:59 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>>> Switching distros and endlessly fiddling with stuff are tasks as far as
>>> most COLA users are concerned.
>
> Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
> boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
> almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
> I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
> Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
> for "switching distros."

Besides, just about every distribution uses the same file systems so you
could easily keep your /home directory around and switching from one
distribution to another is no big deal. It's, at best, 60 minutes wasted
for the fun of trying out a new thing. You might need to clean up the
configuration files but that's about it.

>> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
>> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
>> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
>> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
>> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
>> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
>> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
>> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
>> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
>> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
>> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.
>
> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.

Well, I was just hoping that it was as good as the Gnome version. I
didn't test it out myself and figured it would be worth recommending as
a KDE distribution if ever you liked it. I know that for any fan of
Gnome, it'll be the go-to recommendation for me. I don't need cutting
edge either, but I find that the features Gnome introduced as of 3.20
are spectacular. It actually has built-in bulk renaming in the Nautilus
as far as I know which I didn't even bother to try since I'm so used to
PyRename. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that it's awesome too.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/21/2016 2:17:44 PM
On 2016-12-20 8:07 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 12/20/16, 5:58 PM, in article o3ck4d$9qg$1@dont-email.me, "RonB"
> <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
>>> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
>>> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
>>> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
>>> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
>>> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
>>> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
>>> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
>>> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
>>> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
>>> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.
>>
>> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
>> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
>> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
>> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
>> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
>> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.
>
> Tried Maui today for the first time... was shocked to see how much KDE has
> grown and how much better it is than the last time I looked at it. Truly
> just blown away by the improvement.

I'm waiting for the "but."

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/21/2016 2:24:11 PM
On 12/21/16, 7:24 AM, in article o3e37k$r1v$3@dont-email.me, "Silver Slimer"
<.m@nsn.s> wrote:

> On 2016-12-20 8:07 PM, Snit wrote:

>>> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
>>> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
>>> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
>>> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
>>> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
>>> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.
>>
>> Tried Maui today for the first time... was shocked to see how much KDE has
>> grown and how much better it is than the last time I looked at it. Truly
>> just blown away by the improvement.
>
> I'm waiting for the "but."

But what? I have noted some quirks I am not happy with but over all I am
very please with it. Shocked, even, at how much KDE has matured.

If you want to know my nits I can go into them... but have noted many
elsewhere. Overall I am simply blown away by how much KDE has progressed.

--
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The
foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them
as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God." --
Leviticus 19:33-34

0
Snit
12/21/2016 4:21:48 PM
On 2016-12-21, flatfish+++ <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 00:58:53 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

>> Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
>> boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
>> almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
>> I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
>> Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
>> for "switching distros."
>>
>>> I think that many of the Linux users are just perfectionists as far as
>>> distributions go and are constantly looking for something which fits
>>> their beliefs. For instance, I know I can get the same kind of
>>> experience as I would in Korora if I used say Sabayon, but Korora feels
>>> like it was developed from the ground up with everything I wanted as a
>>> priority. It uses Fedora, which I like, makes all of the repositories
>>> available by default, makes NVIDIA installation simple and uses the
>>> latest GNOME. For me, that's excellent but it's quite possible that its
>>> MATE and KDE flavours aren't as well thought-out as it is and that
>>> they'll find something closer to their beliefs within say Maui. There's
>>> nothing wrong with that; it's freedom at its greatest.
>>
>> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
>> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
>> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
>> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
>> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
>> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.
>
> I've been tinkering with Maui a little and it seems pretty nice to me.
> I'm still running in a VM but I'll commit to bare metal at some point.
>
> I know I pull the Linux advocates chains about tinkering with Linux,
> but Linux encourages that to some degree and knowledge is power so in
> the scheme of things it's a lot better as a hobby than watching some
> crap reality TV show.
> BTW I've more or less given up on TV as well. Just the science,
> history and oldie's stations showing re-runs of Dobie Gillis etc.
> The rest of it is crap.

Glad to read this. I gave up on TV in 1994. Was easy for me as I didn't
really grow up with TV anyway. I love movies and I love books. TV is
mind numbing junkfood for the brain.

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny

0
Marek
12/21/2016 4:41:01 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:29:27 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> RonB wrote:

>>Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute
>>to boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no
>>TV --
>>almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I
>>sometimes I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using
>>Linux Mint Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now
>>-- so much for "switching distros."
>
> Shitty trolls have decided -  *your* hobbies is *bad*.  It's not on the
> list of "committee approved" hobbies, like watching TV, or fooling
> around on Facebook, or building model airplanes, or fishing, or going
> for walks.
>
> You will be ridiculed by trolling shit!

I know, I should just ignore the bitter old biddies. I should also
mention that I don't use Facebook, or Twitter so already more time on my
hands than most young people now.

--
Testing Linux Mint KDE 18
0
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:41:01 -0600, Marek Novotny wrote:

> On 2016-12-21, flatfish+++ <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>>> Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
>>> boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
>>> almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
>>> I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
>>> Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
>>> for "switching distros."

>>> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
>>> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
>>> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
>>> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
>>> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
>>> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.
>>
>> I've been tinkering with Maui a little and it seems pretty nice to me.
>> I'm still running in a VM but I'll commit to bare metal at some point.
>>
>> I know I pull the Linux advocates chains about tinkering with Linux,
>> but Linux encourages that to some degree and knowledge is power so in
>> the scheme of things it's a lot better as a hobby than watching some
>> crap reality TV show.
>> BTW I've more or less given up on TV as well. Just the science,
>> history and oldie's stations showing re-runs of Dobie Gillis etc.
>> The rest of it is crap.
>
> Glad to read this. I gave up on TV in 1994. Was easy for me as I didn't
> really grow up with TV anyway. I love movies and I love books. TV is
> mind numbing junkfood for the brain.

Agreed!
I grew up with a black and white TV for most of my early years.

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench
On 2016-12-21 11:41 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-12-21, flatfish+++ <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote:

>>> Wow "DR" -- 20 minutes to download, 5 minutes to burn to USB, 1 minute to
>>> boot up and up to 20 minutes to customize it. Big Whoop. I watch no TV --
>>> almost no shows on Netflix and have some time on my hands. So I sometimes
>>> I use it to TEST Linux distributions. I've been solidly using Linux Mint
>>> Mate (except for testing) for about three to four years now -- so much
>>> for "switching distros."

>>> I agree. I happen to be on the other side -- not a huge Fedora fan (too
>>> "cutting edge" for me). I liked CentOS and the LTS support versions of
>>> Ubuntu. As for KDE on Korora ... what little I've tested it, it doesn't
>>> seem quite as polished as Maui or LM KDE. But this is their first KDE
>>> release (I think) since Korora came back. I still plan on giving it a
>>> test on the desktop, but I'm also thinking of testing the Mate version.
>>
>> I've been tinkering with Maui a little and it seems pretty nice to me.
>> I'm still running in a VM but I'll commit to bare metal at some point.
>>
>> I know I pull the Linux advocates chains about tinkering with Linux,
>> but Linux encourages that to some degree and knowledge is power so in
>> the scheme of things it's a lot better as a hobby than watching some
>> crap reality TV show.
>> BTW I've more or less given up on TV as well. Just the science,
>> history and oldie's stations showing re-runs of Dobie Gillis etc.
>> The rest of it is crap.
>
> Glad to read this. I gave up on TV in 1994. Was easy for me as I didn't
> really grow up with TV anyway. I love movies and I love books. TV is
> mind numbing junkfood for the brain.

I'm going in this direction myself, especially considering how the media
behaved during the last 18 months. I have trouble giving up live sports
though and love feeding my NHL and MLS hunger.

However, I actually see Linux as something which can help me. Since it
doesn't bother to put a media store in the operating system, the user is
not constantly reminded of the existence of TV shows and movies. The
user can focus on other things such as writing for instance which, to be
honest, is something I like doing even though I'm not that great at it.

--
Silver Slimer
Fingerprint: e58428b2633833a3b0c9bb7e40819166642245b7
Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Proud bigot.
0
Silver
12/21/2016 6:21:55 PM
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:21:55 -0500, Silver Slimer wrote:

> On 2016-12-21 11:41 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:

>>> I've been tinkering with Maui a little and it seems pretty nice to me.
>>> I'm still running in a VM but I'll commit to bare metal at some point.
>>>
>>> I know I pull the Linux advocates chains about tinkering with Linux,
>>> but Linux encourages that to some degree and knowledge is power so in
>>> the scheme of things it's a lot better as a hobby than watching some
>>> crap reality TV show.
>>> BTW I've more or less given up on TV as well. Just the science,
>>> history and oldie's stations showing re-runs of Dobie Gillis etc.
>>> The rest of it is crap.
>>
>> Glad to read this. I gave up on TV in 1994. Was easy for me as I didn't
>> really grow up with TV anyway. I love movies and I love books. TV is
>> mind numbing junkfood for the brain.
>
> I'm going in this direction myself, especially considering how the media
> behaved during the last 18 months. I have trouble giving up live sports
> though and love feeding my NHL and MLS hunger.

It's horrible. We are morally going down the sewer.

> However, I actually see Linux as something which can help me. Since it
> doesn't bother to put a media store in the operating system, the user is
> not constantly reminded of the existence of TV shows and movies. The
> user can focus on other things such as writing for instance which, to be
> honest, is something I like doing even though I'm not that great at it.

Funny thing is I haven't ever used the iTunes store or the Android
store for anything other than free stuff.
All my media is online via various services all of which are free
except for Amazon Prime.

--
flatfish+++
mariana trench