My Linux is not your Linux

To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!

So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that
they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia,
and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be
behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters,
throwing feces at one another and beating their
chests pretending to know something.

My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love,
of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely
human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak
with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the
monkeyhouse of COLA) they remind me of myself: practical,
freedom-loving, anti-corporate. Here in COLA however
they remind me of monkeys or spoiled brats or worse,
corporate sysadmins.

My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
to create, that although it is free you are not
entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
gifts with at least gratitude. And that monkeys and
self-entitled brats and sysadmins never thank anyone.

0
yarmfelder (72)

yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:

> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!

You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.

> My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
> that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
> to create, that although it is free you are not
> entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
> by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
> gifts with at least gratitude.

You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
utilities.

dak (3569)
6/20/2005 2:25:15 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:

> And that monkeys and
> self-entitled brats and sysadmins never thank anyone.

they thank the system for it feeds them.

thi
0
ttn (27)
6/20/2005 2:27:40 PM
David Kastrup wrote something like:

> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.
>
>> My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
>> that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
>> to create, that although it is free you are not
>> entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
>> by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
>> gifts with at least gratitude.
>
> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
> utilities.

Oh god no. Not the gnu/mit/bsd/qt/gtk/etc/linux thing again...

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?
yarmfelder@yahoo.com poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that
> they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia,
> and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be
> behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters,
> throwing feces at one another and beating their
> chests pretending to know something.

What unutterably smarmy crapola!

I snipped gnu.misc.discuss out, too, you dipstick.

--
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
0

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/20/2005 6:01:40 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> You are a hater and a monkey!

I am neither.  I am a cynic, and your words are unctuous treacle.

0
iso
6/20/2005 6:53:32 PM
I like the linux of love.
Where does the train stop?

My words are sweet & flowing but not insincere, as you suggest.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=treacle&x=0&y=0

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/20/2005 11:16:34 PM
begin  KillFileMe.vbs

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 at 18:01 GMT, quoth yarmfelder@yahoo.com <yarmfelder@yahoo.com>:
> You are a hater and a monkey!

I'm a rather tall midget, not a monkey. I hate some things, but doesn't
everybody?

--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/21/2005 12:05:26 PM
David Kastrup wrote:
> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.
>
> > My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
> > that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
> > to create, that although it is free you are not
> > entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
> > by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
> > gifts with at least gratitude.
>
> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
> utilities.

But not for the editor (vim, not emacs :) and xorg. The name would be
too long then :-)

0
aquila.deus (1755)
6/21/2005 1:26:44 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com wrote:
> In the land of no software patents.

Isn't it easier to remove the law or the government who protects them?

0
aquila.deus (1755)
6/21/2005 1:30:13 PM
<aquila.deus@gmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>> > My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
>> > that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
>> > to create, that although it is free you are not
>> > entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
>> > by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
>> > gifts with at least gratitude.
>>
>> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
>> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
>> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
>> utilities.
>
> But not for the editor (vim, not emacs :) and xorg. The name would
> be too long then :-)

If you find the "GNU" unappealing, you can of course choose to
exorcise it the hard way, like the maintainer of
<URL:http://www.skarnet.org/poweredby.html> tries.  If you use the
utilities from BSD, you should get close.

dak (3569)