Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders ---> Yes expose them for the low-lives that they are.

<http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?hpt=ju_c2>

0
ZekeGregory (6440)

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:08:54 AM UTC+2, Big Steel wrote:
> <http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?hpt=ju_c2>

These gun nuts should be thankful their names and addresses were published.  Isn't it true what they say, that if a criminal knows you own a gun they won't rob you?  No?  That the criminals actually are after your guns?  LOL.

RL
0
raylopez88 (1520)
12/29/2012 11:44:07 AM
On Dec 29, 6:44=A0am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:08:54 AM UTC+2, Big Steel wrote:
> > <http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html?h.=
...>

> These gun nuts should be thankful their names and addresses were publishe=
d.
> Isn't it true what they say, that if a criminal knows you own a gun they =
won't
> rob you? =A0No? =A0That the criminals actually are after your guns? =A0LO=
L.

For those who are more interested in reading actual research papers:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926

(direct link):
http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926.pdf

-hh
On Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:07:35 PM UTC+2, -hh wrote:
=20
> http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926
>=20
>=20
>=20
> (direct link):
>=20
> http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926.pdf
=20
Good one -hh, thanks.  Abstract reproduced below.  Read the last line if no=
thing else. =20

I have a book on gun control by neutral scholar James Jacobs, who concludes=
 gun control would work, but with 300M guns it's not practical to implement=
..  IMO that's a useful start, to admit that gun control works.

RL

The Effects of Gun Prevalence on Burglary: Deterrence vs Inducement
Philip J. Cook, Jens Ludwig

NBER Working Paper No. 8926
Issued in May 2002
NBER Program(s):   HE

The proposition that widespread gun ownership serves as a deterrent to resi=
dential burglary is widely touted by advocates, but the evidence is weak, c=
onsisting of anecdotes, interviews with burglars, casual comparisons with o=
ther countries, and the like. A more systematic exploration requires data o=
n local rates of gun ownership and of residential burglary, and such data h=
ave only recently become available. In this paper we exploit a new well-val=
idated proxy for local gun-ownership prevalence -- the proportion of suicid=
es that involve firearms -- together with newly available geo-coded data fr=
om the National Crime Victimization Survey, to produce the first systematic=
 estimates of the net effects of gun prevalence on residential burglary pat=
terns. The importance of such empirical work stems in part from the fact th=
at theoretical considerations do not provide much guidance in predicting th=
e net effects of widespread gun ownership. Guns in the home may pose a thre=
at to burglars, but also serve as an inducement, since guns are particularl=
y valuable loot. Other things equal, a gun-rich community provides more luc=
rative burglary opportunities than one where guns are more sparse. The new =
empirical results reported here provide no support for a net deterrent effe=
ct from widespread gun ownership. Rather, our analysis concludes that resid=
ential burglary rates tend to increase with community gun prevalence
0
raylopez88 (1520)
12/30/2012 4:07:39 PM
On Dec 30, 11:07=A0am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:07:35 PM UTC+2, -hh wrote:
> >http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926
>
> > (direct link):
>
> >http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926.pdf
>
> Good one -hh, thanks.

Just YA illustration of what I've been saying all along:  that there's
no simple answers to a complex issue.

> Abstract reproduced below. =A0Read the last line if nothing else.

It is just as (if not more) important to understand that the
correlation that they found was quite weak.  As such, while there's a
basis to disprove the usual claim, it was being done on an "all other
factors equal" basis, where it is known that many of these said other
factors are more significant.  The implications of this is that this
factor is a 2nd or 3rd order variable, and we're ignoring the 1st
order contributors at our own peril.

> I have a book on gun control by neutral scholar James Jacobs, who conclud=
es gun control would work,
> but with 300M guns it's not practical to implement. =A0IMO that's a usefu=
l start, to admit that
> gun control works.

That might be what you though he said in his 2002 book, but here he is
in a 2009 interview explaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqAtOTm8oE9Q

Note for example just how dismissive he is of the Brady Law's claims
of 'success'.

-hh
On Dec 30, 11:30=A0am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 11:07=A0am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:07:35 PM UTC+2, -hh wrote:
> > >http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926
>
> > > (direct link):
>
> > >http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926.pdf
>
> > Good one -hh, thanks.
>
> Just YA illustration of what I've been saying all along: =A0that there's
> no simple answers to a complex issue.
>
> > Abstract reproduced below. =A0Read the last line if nothing else.
>
> It is just as (if not more) important to understand that the
> correlation that they found was quite weak.

Clarification on the above:  correlation had a weak slope...