The non-Linux Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

http://www.archhurd.org/

The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.

Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?
0
taka0038

taka0038@gmail.com wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

Yes. In another 20 years it will be better. Alas, just better than the
current linux kernel
0
Peter
2/23/2015 12:17:03 PM
Peter Köhlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>>
>> http://www.archhurd.org/
>>
>> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
>> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>>
>> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

The Linux kernel has a lot more than just Google backing it.

> Yes. In another 20 years it will be better. Alas, just better than the
> current linux kernel

If you want to play with the Hurd (and the key word is play, at this point):

   http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html

   There is a QEMU image with Debian GNU/Hurd pre-installed available as
   http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz.

--
You can't carve your way to success without cutting remarks.
0
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 7:08:39 AM UTC-5, taka...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

LOL - YOU are a Pultz.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pultz

Wow, YOU wouldn't recognize what is real, if it ran over your sorry arse with a Mack truck.

My how this Pultz babbles on so.  Moi has determined that ALL your ilk are certifiably insane.

Yo, enough of your gibberish, Kook!

Try looking into the mirror. Moi does NOT accept advice from the Liar, Fool, and / or Crazy that is staring back at your ugly mug.
.................. the Moi, has spoken
0
John
2/23/2015 1:13:00 PM
On 2015-02-23 7:08 AM, taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
>
> http://www.archhurd.org/
>
> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>
> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?

It won't even detect half of your hardware so I'm curious by your
definition of "competitive."

--
Slimer
OpenMedia, GreenPeace Supporter & SPCA Paw Partner

The history of Linux in one sentence:
"Loser creates technological equivalent of a pig in 1991, keeps adding
lipstick to it thereafter."
0
Slimer
2/23/2015 1:51:44 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> taka0038@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and
>>> stability, while remaining largely compatible with it.
>>>
>>> Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel?
>
>The Linux kernel has a lot more than just Google backing it.

Kreep thinks that 75% of the Linux kernel is now "effectively
controlled by corporate America".

The trolling fsckwit is too stupid to understand how the GPL works.

--
"So sentient human beings should have their freedom restricted so that
some bits on a disk somewhere (source code) can have freedom instead."