f



There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"

From TOW[1]:

  The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX
  trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems
  compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other
  operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called
  Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The
  term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating
  system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
  version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
  is the most popular non-certified workalike.

So, to summarize:

"Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which
includes Linux.

"UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily --
have an issue with the term "UNIX-like".  (They can take a flying fsck.)

"Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it
have to do with Linux?

This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2".

 -v
Unix minions, unite!
0
vallor
2/9/2014 8:15:42 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

22 Replies
1945 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 37

On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor"
<vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

> From TOW[1]:
> 
>   The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX
>   trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems
>   compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other
>   operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called
>   Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The
>   term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating
>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
> 
> So, to summarize:
> 
> "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which
> includes Linux.
> 
> "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily --
> have an issue with the term "UNIX-like".  (They can take a flying fsck.)
> 
> "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it
> have to do with Linux?
> 
> This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2".
> 
>  -v
> Unix minions, unite!

Unix is often used... but that does not make it correct.


-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/9/2014 9:30:33 PM
In article <ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me>, vallor wrote:

> From TOW[1]:

> The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX
> trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems
> compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other
> operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called
> Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The
> term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating
> system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most
> common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X,
> while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike.

> So, to summarize:

> "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which
> includes Linux.

> "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily
> -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like".  (They can take a flying
> fsck.)

> "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what
> would it have to do with Linux?

> This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2".

> -v Unix minions, unite!

My car is Bugatti Veyron-like. 


-- 
Sandman[.net]
0
Sandman
2/10/2014 6:24:20 AM
On 02/09/2014 10:24 PM, Sandman wrote:
> In article <ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me>, vallor wrote:

>> -v Unix minions, unite!
> 
> My car is Bugatti Veyron-like. 
> 
> 

That's actually an apt analogy, since Linux seems to consistently
outperform other Unixes.

I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our 486,
before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just worked better
for our purposes.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X

 -v
ObLinux: Ancient history from the museum!
_[/opt/misc/bin]_(root@xxx)_
# ll pm*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  140 Apr  9  1996 pmdetail
---s--x--x 1 root root 9216 Apr  9  1996 pmrecs
---s--x--x 1 root root 9216 Apr  9  1996 pmstat
_[/opt/misc/bin]_(root@xxx)_
# file pmrecs
pmrecs: setuid Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC), stripped

/v

0
vallor
2/10/2014 10:59:47 PM
In article <ldbll4$pbm$1@dont-email.me>, vallor wrote:

> > > vallor:
> > > -v Unix minions, unite!
> > 
> > Sandman:
> > My car is Bugatti Veyron-like.
> 
> That's actually an apt analogy, since Linux seems to consistently
> outperform other Unixes.

That's a funny interpretation of the analogy. Bugatti Veyron is the fastest 
production car in the world (or at least in the top 2 :)

So if Linux is Unix-like, and my car is Bugatti Veyron-like, it would mean 
that other Unix are real unix and other cars are real Bugatti Veyron, so 
being Bugatti Veyron-like and Unix-like would mean that you're actually 
*lesser* than the thing you're "like".

So, if Linux is unix-like in the same way my car is Bugatti Veyron-like, it 
is quite pedestrian in terms of performance compared to the "real thing".

And I do drive a really nice performance car! I have no problem with Linux 
being like my car if Windows are like "normal" cars.

That said, I think Linux performs really well. Not that I have made any 
comparison to real unixes like OSX or BSD, but I am using Linux in my 
production servers and they perform really well. 

> I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our
> 486, before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just
> worked better for our purposes.

Great :)



-- 
Sandman[.net]
0
Sandman
2/11/2014 6:07:38 AM
vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> writes:

> On 02/09/2014 10:24 PM, Sandman wrote:
>> In article <ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me>, vallor wrote:
>
>>> -v Unix minions, unite!
>> 
>> My car is Bugatti Veyron-like. 
>> 
>> 
>
> That's actually an apt analogy, since Linux seems to consistently
> outperform other Unixes.

The threads are 50x faster than in Windows you know. An "advocate" told
me.



>
> I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our 486,
> before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just worked better
> for our purposes.
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X

Sure it did. Your war stories are great.

>
>  -v
> ObLinux: Ancient history from the museum!
> _[/opt/misc/bin]_(root@xxx)_
> # ll pm*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  140 Apr  9  1996 pmdetail
> ---s--x--x 1 root root 9216 Apr  9  1996 pmrecs
> ---s--x--x 1 root root 9216 Apr  9  1996 pmstat
> _[/opt/misc/bin]_(root@xxx)_
> # file pmrecs
> pmrecs: setuid Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC), stripped

Did you have a green screen?

>
> /v
>


-- 
"I have a BSEE.... Negative feedback has many benefits, but "maintaining stability" is not one of them. Just the opposite, in fact." 
The turdv/chrisv idiot and his pretend BSEE degree.
PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
Hadron
2/11/2014 9:40:19 AM
On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> writes:

>>
>> I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our 486,
>> before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just worked better
>> for our purposes.
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X
> 
> Sure it did. Your war stories are great.

I'm glad we agree on this.

I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
their stories.  Why don't you?

 -v
ObLinux:
_[/home/vallor]_(vallor@xxx)_
$ prtstat $$
Process: bash          		State: S (sleeping)
  CPU#:  3  		TTY: 136:16	Threads: 1
Process, Group and Session IDs
  Process ID: 13405		  Parent ID: 13396
    Group ID: 13405		 Session ID: 31121
  T Group ID: 13624

Page Faults
  This Process    (minor major):     6600         0
  Child Processes (minor major):    54531         0
CPU Times
  This Process    (user system guest blkio):   0.15   0.06   0.00   0.00
  Child processes (user system guest):         0.07   0.19   0.00
Memory
  Vsize:       24 MB
  RSS:         5259 kB    		 RSS Limit: 18446744073709 MB
  Code Start:  0x400000  		 Code Stop:  0x4e05a4
  Stack Start: 0x7fffa4e1e9f0
  Stack Pointer (ESP): 0x7fffa4e1e4d8	 Inst Pointer (EIP): 0x7f7a718f94ea
Scheduling
  Policy: normal
  Nice:   0 		 RT Priority: 0 (non RT)
/v

0
vallor
2/11/2014 6:49:45 PM
On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> writes:
> 
>>>
>>> I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our 486,
>>> before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just worked better
>>> for our purposes.
>>>
>>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X
>>
>> Sure it did. Your war stories are great.
> 
> I'm glad we agree on this.
> 
> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
> their stories.  Why don't you?

I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
OS X don't have positive experiences to share.
-- 
Silver Slimer
GNU/Linux is Communism
0
Silver
2/11/2014 7:05:29 PM
On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>>> Your war stories are great.
>>
>> I'm glad we agree on this.
>>
>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
>> their stories.  Why don't you?
> 
> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
> OS X don't have positive experiences to share.
> 

Cite, please?  This has not been my experience.

However, I run with a different crowd than you do, so there's always
anecdotal evidence to (not) consider.

 -v

0
vallor
2/11/2014 7:54:08 PM
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:54:08 PM UTC-5, vallor wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> 
> > On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
> 
> >> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
> 
> >>> Your war stories are great.
> 
> >>
> 
> >> I'm glad we agree on this.
> 
> >>
> 
> >> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
> 
> >> their stories.  Why don't you?
> 
> > 
> 
> > I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
> 
> > OS X don't have positive experiences to share.
> 
> > 
> 
> 
> 
> Cite, please?  This has not been my experience.

http://chris.pirillo.com/linux-sucks/

Should get you started. Linux sucks. It's no secret.
0
Flatfish
2/11/2014 8:04:52 PM
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:54:08 -0800, vallor wrote:

> On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
>> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
>>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>>>> Your war stories are great.
>>>
>>> I'm glad we agree on this.
>>>
>>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users
>>> telling their stories.  Why don't you?
>> 
>> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
>> OS X don't have positive experiences to share.
>> 
>> 
> Cite, please?  This has not been my experience.
> 
> However, I run with a different crowd than you do, so there's always
> anecdotal evidence to (not) consider.
> 
>  -v

Really, Slimer? Weird, everyone I know who converted to Linux is MUCH 
happier with Linux than they were with Windows. Of course, if someone is a 
big Windows' game player, or HAS to have Microsoft Office, or is in love 
with the Apple logo -- then I don't see any point in trying to get them to 
try Linux. You have to use common sense when asking folks to try Linux.

-- 
"OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to program 
for. Their file system is complete and utter crap, which is 
scary." -- Linus Torvalds 
0
RonB
2/11/2014 10:36:31 PM
On 2/11/14, 12:05 PM, in article ldds9p$n6b$1@dont-email.me, "Silver Slimer"
<slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:

> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>>> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> writes:
>> 
>>>> 
>>>> I remember back in the day test trying out Unixware and NeXT on our 486,
>>>> before we ran screaming back to Yggdrasil Linux.  It just worked better
>>>> for our purposes.
>>>> 
>>>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X
>>> 
>>> Sure it did. Your war stories are great.
>> 
>> I'm glad we agree on this.
>> 
>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
>> their stories.  Why don't you?
> 
> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
> OS X don't have positive experiences to share.

That is my experience very much... what I see with many, many people who
have tried Linux.


-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/12/2014 1:35:13 AM
On 02/11/2014 12:04 PM, Flatfish wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:54:08 PM UTC-5, vallor wrote:

>> Cite, please?  This has not been my experience.
> 
> http://chris.pirillo.com/linux-sucks/
> 
> Should get you started. Linux sucks. It's no secret.
> 

I'm going to pretend that you aren't harkening back to my past flames,
in other forums, about Chris P. being an idiot.  Because you probably
don't know anything about said flames -- but it would be pretty funny if
you did, because your statement is about the best troll someone could
come up with after what I've said in the past about Chris Pirillo.

But with that out of the way:  so you're going to throw your eggs into
the CP basket, eh?

Be honest:  have you ever _watched_ any of the guy's videos?

I dare you.  I double-dog-dare you.

And if you find any video by the guy that doesn't send you screaming
into the night -- please, post the link.  I'd like to see a video from
the guy that doesn't feel like he's putting icepicks into my eye sockets.

 -v
p.s. Ob...Linux?  Damned with faint praise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP8LxHxvjD0

Can anybody take this guy seriously?
/v

0
vallor
2/12/2014 2:21:40 AM
On 2014-02-11, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:54:08 -0800, vallor wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
>>> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
>>>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>>>>> Your war stories are great.
>>>>
>>>> I'm glad we agree on this.
>>>>
>>>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users
>>>> telling their stories.  Why don't you?
>>> 
>>> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
>>> OS X don't have positive experiences to share.

    Most people aren't aware enough to know that they can make the choice.
So this false equivalency of yours falls apart.

[deletia]

    However, the biggest problem for a Windows user convert is the issue of
3rd party support and that is something they will percieve as a problem with
ANY alternative. This also includes MacOS.

    The fact that Linux is more Windows like and MacOS seems gratuitiously
and annoyingly unlike Windows won't even be the biggest factor.


-- 
0
JEDIDIAH
2/12/2014 3:38:13 PM
On 2/12/14, 8:38 AM, in article slrnlfn5b5.q5b.jedi@nomad.mishnet,
"JEDIDIAH" <jedi@nomad.mishnet> wrote:

> On 2014-02-11, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:54:08 -0800, vallor wrote:
>> 
>>> On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
>>>> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
>>>>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
>>>>>> Your war stories are great.
>>>>> 
>>>>> I'm glad we agree on this.
>>>>> 
>>>>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
>>>>> their stories.  Why don't you?
>>>>> 
>>>> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or OS X
>>>> don't have positive experiences to share.
>>>> 
> Most people aren't aware enough to know that they can make the choice. So this
> false equivalency of yours falls apart.

Dell and HP and Walmart have all tried to sell desktop Linux machines. Sure,
many people have never seen one given how those who do get them tend to not
like them and do not stick with them, but the fact desktop Linux is so
poorly known is a result of its lack of quality.

> [deletia]
> 
> However, the biggest problem for a Windows user convert is the issue of 3rd
> party support and that is something they will percieve as a problem with ANY
> alternative. This also includes MacOS.

And yet many people move to OS X with great success... and even pay a lot of
money to do it. People can move to Linux for free and almost none do unless
they have no other choice.

> The fact that Linux is more Windows like and MacOS seems gratuitiously and
> annoyingly unlike Windows won't even be the biggest factor.

OS X is in many ways more different from Windows than is desktop Linux...
which kills the idea that people avoid Linux because it is different.



-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/12/2014 5:56:18 PM
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:56:18 AM UTC-7, Snit wrote:
> On 2/12/14, 8:38 AM, in article slrnlfn5b5.q5b.jedi@nomad.mishnet,
> 
> "JEDIDIAH" <jedi@nomad.mishnet> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> > On 2014-02-11, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> >> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:54:08 -0800, vallor wrote:
> 
> >> 
> 
> >>> On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> 
> >>>> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
> 
> >>>>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
> 
> >>>>>> Your war stories are great.
> 
> >>>>> 
> 
> >>>>> I'm glad we agree on this.
> 
> >>>>> 
> 
> >>>>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users telling
> 
> >>>>> their stories.  Why don't you?
> 
> >>>>> 
> 
> >>>> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or OS X
> 
> >>>> don't have positive experiences to share.
> 
> >>>> 
> 
> > Most people aren't aware enough to know that they can make the choice. So this
> 
> > false equivalency of yours falls apart.
> 
> 
> 
> Dell and HP and Walmart have all tried to sell desktop Linux machines. Sure,
> 
> many people have never seen one given how those who do get them tend to not
> 
> like them and do not stick with them, but the fact desktop Linux is so
> 
> poorly known is a result of its lack of quality.
> 
> 
> 
> > [deletia]
> 
> > 
> 
> > However, the biggest problem for a Windows user convert is the issue of 3rd
> 
> > party support and that is something they will percieve as a problem with ANY
> 
> > alternative. This also includes MacOS.
> 
> 
> 
> And yet many people move to OS X with great success

Just not when to comes to, you know, "3rd party support" (his point here).

> ... and even pay a lot of money to do it. 

There is no amount of money that can buy what doesn't exist at the same level as on Windows. 

I'm sure you thought you had a point here but it's anyone's guess WTF you're talking about because the relative 3rd party support argument is a total non starter; it's actually my biggest issue as a Mac user.

0
Steve
2/12/2014 6:41:26 PM
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:36:31 PM UTC-7, RonB wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:54:08 -0800, vallor wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> > On 02/11/2014 11:05 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> 
> >> On 11/02/2014 1:49 PM, vallor wrote:
> 
> >>> On 02/11/2014 01:40 AM, Hadron wrote:
> 
> >>>> Your war stories are great.
> 
> >>>
> 
> >>> I'm glad we agree on this.
> 
> >>>
> 
> >>> I figure "comp.os.linux.advocacy" should have a few Linux users
> 
> >>> telling their stories.  Why don't you?
> 
> >> 
> 
> >> I agree. However, most people who migrate to GNU/Linux from Windows or
> 
> >> OS X don't have positive experiences to share.
> 
> >> 
> 
> >> 
> 
> > Cite, please?  This has not been my experience.
> 
> > 
> 
> > However, I run with a different crowd than you do, so there's always
> 
> > anecdotal evidence to (not) consider.
> 
> > 
> 
> >  -v
> 
> 
> 
> Really, Slimer? Weird, everyone I know who converted to Linux is MUCH 
> 
> happier with Linux than they were with Windows.

Both of them? 

> Of course, if someone is a 
> 
> big Windows' game player, or HAS to have Microsoft Office, or is in love 
> 
> with the Apple logo

Or wants to run Logic with hardware like, say, NI's Maschine or run an Adobe CS suite because that's what the client demands, etc.

> -- then I don't see any point in trying to get them to 
> 
> try Linux. You have to use common sense when asking folks to try Linux.

The 3rd party support is a problem on Mac and Linux, while it's better on Mac, relative to Windows it sucks.

0
Steve
2/12/2014 6:47:58 PM
vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> From TOW[1]:
....
>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.

Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
not UNIX.

10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site. Its registration
was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf

Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
they also are no longer UNIX.

0
owl
2/13/2014 6:27:56 PM
owl wrote:

> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>> From TOW[1]:
> ...
>>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
> 
> Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
> Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
> not UNIX.
> 
> 10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site. Its registration
> was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.
> 
> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
> 
> Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
> they also are no longer UNIX.

And the same guys who explained to you that 9/11 and the assorted school 
shootings did never happen the way it was reported have told you this, too?
0
Peter
2/13/2014 6:30:52 PM
Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> owl wrote:

> > vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
> >> From TOW[1]:
> > ...
> >>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
> >>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
> >>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
> > 
> > Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
> > Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
> > not UNIX.
> > 
> > 10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site. Its registration
> > was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.
> > 
> > http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
> > 
> > Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
> > they also are no longer UNIX.

> And the same guys who explained to you that 9/11 and the assorted school 
> shootings did never happen the way it was reported have told you this, too?

Nope.
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
<quote>
 UNIX 03
Registered Products:

    Apple Inc.: OS X Version 10.9 Mavericks on Intel-based Mac computers
    Apple Inc.: Mac OS X Version 10.8 Mountain Lion on Intel-based Macintosh computers
    Fujitsu Limited: Solaris™10 Operating System on Fujitsu PRIMEPOWER® 64-bit SPARC® Based Platforms
    Hewlett-Packard Company: HP-UX 11i V3 Release B.11.31 or later on HP Integrity Servers
    IBM Corporation: AIX 5L for POWER V5.2 dated 8-2004 or later with APARs: IY59610, IY60869, IY61405 with VAC 6.0.0.8 or later on pSeries CHRP systems
    IBM Corporation: AIX 5L for POWER V5.3 dated 7-2006 or later on Systems using CHRP system architecture with POWER™processors
    IBM Corporation: AIX 6 Operating System V6.1.2 with SP1 or later on Systems using CHRP system architecture with POWER™ processors and 2, 8 or 128 port async cards
    Inspur Co., Ltd: Inspur K-UX 2.0 on Inspur TS K1 system
    Oracle Corporation: Oracle Solaris 11 FCS and later on SPARC-based platforms, 32-bit and 64-bit and on X86-based platforms, 32-bit and 64-bit
    Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System plus patch 118844-06 for X86 and on, on 64-bit X86 based systems
    Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System and on, on 32-bit and 64-bit SPARC based systems
    Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System and on, on 32-bit X86 based systems

</quote>

10.8 is erroneously listed above, since its registration expired last July:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf

The certification document for 10.5, which is correctly no longer listed
under "Registered Products," is still available here:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1190p.pdf

0
owl
2/13/2014 6:56:22 PM
On 2/13/14, 11:56 AM, in article hg894.a4t@rooftop.invalid, "owl"
<owl@rooftop.invalid> wrote:

> Peter K�hlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>> owl wrote:
> 
>>> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>>>> From TOW[1]:
>>> ...
>>>>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>>>>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>>>>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
>>> 
>>> Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
>>> Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
>>> not UNIX.
>>> 
>>> 10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site. Its registration
>>> was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.
>>> 
>>> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
>>> 
>>> Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
>>> they also are no longer UNIX.
> 
>> And the same guys who explained to you that 9/11 and the assorted school
>> shootings did never happen the way it was reported have told you this, too?
> 
> Nope.
> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
> <quote>
>  UNIX 03
> Registered Products:
> 
>     Apple Inc.: OS X Version 10.9 Mavericks on Intel-based Mac computers
>     Apple Inc.: Mac OS X Version 10.8 Mountain Lion on Intel-based Macintosh
> computers
>     Fujitsu Limited: Solaris�10 Operating System on Fujitsu PRIMEPOWER� 64-bit
> SPARC� Based Platforms
>     Hewlett-Packard Company: HP-UX 11i V3 Release B.11.31 or later on HP
> Integrity Servers
>     IBM Corporation: AIX 5L for POWER V5.2 dated 8-2004 or later with APARs:
> IY59610, IY60869, IY61405 with VAC 6.0.0.8 or later on pSeries CHRP systems
>     IBM Corporation: AIX 5L for POWER V5.3 dated 7-2006 or later on Systems
> using CHRP system architecture with POWER�processors
>     IBM Corporation: AIX 6 Operating System V6.1.2 with SP1 or later on
> Systems using CHRP system architecture with POWER� processors and 2, 8 or 128
> port async cards
>     Inspur Co., Ltd: Inspur K-UX 2.0 on Inspur TS K1 system
>     Oracle Corporation: Oracle Solaris 11 FCS and later on SPARC-based
> platforms, 32-bit and 64-bit and on X86-based platforms, 32-bit and 64-bit
>     Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System plus patch 118844-06 for
> X86 and on, on 64-bit X86 based systems
>     Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System and on, on 32-bit and
> 64-bit SPARC based systems
>     Oracle Corporation: Solaris 10 Operating System and on, on 32-bit X86
> based systems
> 
> </quote>
> 
> 10.8 is erroneously listed above, since its registration expired last July:
> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
> 
> The certification document for 10.5, which is correctly no longer listed
> under "Registered Products," is still available here:
> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1190p.pdf
> 

Hmmmm, who to believe about OS X 10.8's status as a registered UNIX, you on
one side (saying they erroneously listed it) or Apple and the Open Group on
the other.

This will keep me up all night! LOL!


-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/13/2014 7:28:46 PM
On 2/13/14, 11:27 AM, in article gh80.ar3ap3h@rooftop.invalid, "owl"
<owl@rooftop.invalid> wrote:

> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>> From TOW[1]:
> ...
> 
>>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
> 
> Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
> Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
> not UNIX.

Another whacky nonsensical claim. Idiotic, really.

> 10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site.

Ah, and you know better than the Open Group (and Apple) as to what products
are registered UNIX's.

LOL!

You are in a class all your own.

> Its registration
> was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.
> 
> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
> 
> Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
> they also are no longer UNIX.
> 



-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/13/2014 7:29:44 PM
On 2/13/14, 11:30 AM, in article ldj30s$l7v$1@dont-email.me, "Peter
K�hlmann" <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:

> owl wrote:
> 
>> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>>> From TOW[1]:
>> ...
>>>   system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common
>>>   version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux
>>>   is the most popular non-certified workalike.
>> 
>> Only 10.9 is still UNIX, and only in the *default* configuration on
>> Intel-based Macs.  Do so much as change your mouse settings and it is
>> not UNIX.
>> 
>> 10.8 is erroneously listed at Open Group's site. Its registration
>> was due to be renewed last July, but it was not renewed.
>> 
>> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1197p.pdf
>> 
>> Registrations for all prior versions have also expired, and therefore
>> they also are no longer UNIX.
> 
> And the same guys who explained to you that 9/11 and the assorted school
> shootings did never happen the way it was reported have told you this, too?

He says the Open Group says this - even though when they do not he says they
are in error.



-- 
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our
political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

0
Snit
2/13/2014 7:30:21 PM
Reply: