Where is the Linux Advocacy?

Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
"Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
groups subjects.

Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
on both Windows and Mac.
The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
from the shut down menu.
When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.

A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
another distro can be ready for install.
By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
burn an install disk.
You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.

Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!

Jens

On May 7, 11:48=A0pm, Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.

That's the tragedy of the commons. Sorry for all the WindBlows nutjobs
around here, but i'm afraid it can;t be helped.

> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass

Well, i agree with that.
0
kleuske (534)
5/7/2011 10:11:50 PM
Lyrik wrote:

Reading this group it should have been named "windump troll suicide group."
or "Depressed Appil troll no money left lusers" or maybe "Linux Advocacy
kills trolls?" It is like every group becomes camping site for the
appil/micoshaft paid trolling adversaries of the groups subjects.

[...]

Nobody now say its safe to install windopws while appil osen
is for girlies and drains all your money leaving you penniless.
Studies have shown that appil lusers are seriously deluded and
in serious debt.
Its best to delete windopws and appile OSen and install Linux.

On 5/7/2011 6:11 PM, Kleuskes & Moos wrote:
> On May 7, 11:48 pm, Lyrik<jenserikb...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> groups subjects.
>

> That's the tragedy of the commons. Sorry for all the WindBlows nutjobs
> around here, but i'm afraid it can;t be helped.
>
>>> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>
> Well, i agree with that.

Quit trying to throw your big hands around cola.
0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 12:24:34 AM
On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Lyrik wrote:

> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.
>
> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> on both Windows and Mac.
> The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> from the shut down menu.
> When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> another distro can be ready for install.
> By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> burn an install disk.
> You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> Jens

You are a funny guy/gal !!
I'm still laughing!

Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1,gzip(gfe)

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
5/8/2011 3:48:21 AM
On 5/7/2011 11:48 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:48:03 -0700 (PDT), Lyrik wrote:
>

> You are a funny guy/gal !!
> I'm still laughing!

> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1,gzip(gfe)

You gotta chuckle at their complete willingness to humiliate themselves.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 3:55:10 AM
"Lyrik" <jenserikbech@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> groups subjects.
>
> Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> on both Windows and Mac.
> The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> from the shut down menu.
> When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> another distro can be ready for install.
> By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> burn an install disk.
> You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> Jens

But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?

0
clogwog (1758)
5/8/2011 9:10:49 AM
On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>

> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
> > groups subjects.
>
> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
> > on both Windows and Mac.
> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
> > from the shut down menu.
> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>
> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
> > another distro can be ready for install.
> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
> > burn an install disk.
> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>
> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>
> > Jens
>
> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
cultures.
When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.

Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
Now You can see mine:
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?

Jens
On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:

> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg

Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 4:32:46 PM
> On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
>> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in
>> berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> > groups subjects.
>>
>> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>> > on both Windows and Mac.
>> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
>> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
>> > from the shut down menu.
>> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
>> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
>> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>>
>> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
>> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
>> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
>> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
>> > another distro can be ready for install.
>> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
>> > burn an install disk.
>> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>>
>> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>>
>> > Jens
>>
>> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel
>> the
>> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
>> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> cultures.
> When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> Jens

What's that funny ribbon on the left?, does it auto hide?
I had such a feature 12 years ago in my Win 98 box.
http://www.plemsoft.com/PowerBar.html

0
clogwog (1758)
5/8/2011 4:34:07 PM
Lyrik <jenserikbech@gmail.com> writes:

> On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
>> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>

>> > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or
>> > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?"
>> > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>> > groups subjects.
>>
>> > Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass
>> > on both Windows and Mac.
>> > The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two.
>> > It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or
>> > from the shut down menu.
>> > When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock
>> > will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will
>> > spread out on the desktop, where You can choose.
>>
>> > A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed
>> > as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux
>> > system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in
>> > the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then
>> > another distro can be ready for install.
>> > By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to
>> > burn an install disk.
>> > You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop.
>>
>> > Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!!
>>
>> > Jens
>>
>> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind feel the
>> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_matic
>> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> cultures.
> When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> Now You can see mine:
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> Jens

I'm  intrigued to hear what you think is so nice about those pretty
boring snapshots.
0
hadronquark (21814)
5/8/2011 5:00:22 PM
On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> > Now You can see mine:
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>
> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nothing to show! I thought it enough!

You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
Windows desktop.

Jens
On 8 Maj, 19:00, Hadron<hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 8 Maj, 11:10, "Clogwog" <clog...@anon.eu> wrote:
> >> "Lyrik" <jenserikb...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c59c9d46-097d-=
4097-8ef1-b5a9d9481810@p6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...

> >> But......., if you run Windows, why would anybody in his right mind fe=
el the
> >> need to install an *inferior* OS like Ubuntu or *any* other Crash_O_ma=
tic
> >> Linux distro embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system?, are you mad?
> > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> > Maybe You have noticed that you live in a global village of multiple
> > cultures.
> > When You extend the thought to operating systems, then you see that
> > You must have them all. Otherwise You become one track minded.
>
> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
> > Now You can see mine:
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>
> > Jens
>
> I'm =A0intrigued to hear what you think is so nice about those pretty
> boring snapshots.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's got style. But You would'nt know what that is.
Get Yourself a Linux distro. You can learn.

Jens
On 5/8/2011 2:52 PM, Lyrik wrote:
> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS<nos...@dfs.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>>> Now You can see mine:
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>>> http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>>> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!

What?

> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

Why do I need a distro full of crapware when I have Windows and the best
apps known to man?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/8/2011 7:37:03 PM
Lyrik wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>> > Now You can see mine:
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>> > Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>
> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

--
I find this corpse guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and I fine it $40.
		-- Judge Roy Bean, finding a pistol and $40 on a man he'd
On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

Yea.
The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
applications.

Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
0
flatfish (4841)
5/8/2011 11:32:30 PM
On 2011-05-08, Lyrik <jenserikbech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Maj, 18:32, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2011 10:45 AM, Lyrik wrote:
>>
>> > Ubuntu 11.04 for the moment has the best GUI of the three big ones.
>> > Now You can see mine:
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot1.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot2.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot3.png
>> >http://lyrikfilm.dk/snapshot4.png
>>> Can I see yours? Or maybe You have nothing to show?
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>
>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>
> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
> Windows desktop.

What is this rubbish about a 'trash can'? I don't have one of those on
my desktop. Even if I did, it would be called a 'rubbish bin' and not a
'trash can'. My desktop consists of a fantastic closeup screenshot of
the rings of Saturn, taken by one of the probe flybys... and nothing
else. Task bar auto-hides itself at the bottom of the screen... The
desktop becomes a rotating cube when I use the 'scrollwheel' on my
touchpad. If I touch the top left corner I get small images of all my
open applications and can choose one of them for quick switching between
applications.

I like a tidy desktop.. uncluttered by silly and useless icons.

--
Regards,
Gregory.
"flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even
>> FreeBSD and
>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>
> Yea.
> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
> applications.
>
> Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.

Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.
Nobody cares about applications or getting their work done. What they really
want is yet another window-manager to customize the window borders and
buttons.

0
zeke947 (1328)
5/9/2011 12:31:16 AM

On 5/8/2011 7:26 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Lyrik wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/DFS_Win7_desktop.jpg
>>>
>>> Now click on your Trash Can 50x and show us another screenshot.
>>
>> Nothing to show! I thought it enough!
>>
>> You should get a Linux distro instead. Install it on Your boring
>> Windows desktop.
>
> You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".

ie You can waste *far* more of your time tinkering with your crapware
while basically the entire planet runs their lives on their Windows
machines.

And why is Windows in quotes, Linosuck?  Doesn't make sense.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/9/2011 5:35:49 AM
Ezekiel wrote:

>Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.
>Nobody cares about applications or getting their work done. What they really
>want is yet another window-manager to customize the window borders and
>buttons.

For many, the applications available on Linux are plenty.

*Many* people need nothing more than the Internet stuff and, a light
word processor, and maybe a couple other basic tools.

0
chrisv (22840)
5/9/2011 1:22:30 PM
useless dog shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

more documented lies from the stupid piece of dog shit named chrisv.

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
nest4998 (21)
5/9/2011 1:27:25 PM
Lyrik wrote:

>It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the
>groups subjects.

No, only when the "adversaries" are the idiots, the  assholes, and the
mental-defectives of the world.

You don't see a pack of Linux guys trolling in the Windows or Mac
groups...

0
chrisv (22840)
5/9/2011 1:39:24 PM

> No, only when the "adversaries" are the idiots, the  assholes, and the
> mental-defectives of the world.

another fine 'advocacy' post from the useless piece of dog shit named
"chrisv."

"chrisv" is a liar. "chrisv" is a piece of shit.

0
nest4998 (21)
5/9/2011 1:42:39 PM
> Ezekiel wrote:
>
>>Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and
>>desktops.

To have more choice, yes. More desktop environments and window
managers means more chance that there's one I really like. I would
hate it if there was no awesome, just like eg. Chris A. would hate it
if there was no 'fluxbox'.

I find it odd how people have preferences for about every aspect of
life, but when it comes down to computers they use whatever is shoved
down their throats.

--
Women should be obscene and not heard.
	~ Groucho Marx

>> Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and
>>> desktops.
>
> To have more choice, yes. More desktop environments and window
> managers means more chance that there's one I really like. I would
> hate it if there was no awesome, just like eg. Chris A. would hate it
> if there was no 'fluxbox'.

All else being equal, having a choice of desktop environments is better than
not... I have no problem with that. Unfortunately, not all else is equal,
and on desktop Linux that choice comes with a price.  For some that price is
worth it - but for many (it seems most) it is not.

> I find it odd how people have preferences for about every aspect of
> life, but when it comes down to computers they use whatever is shoved
> down their throats.

Oh, people set their computers up quite differently - no matter what OS they
use.  And do not think that the choice to use Windows is not a choice.  This
does not mean that it is always an informed choice.  OS X, however, proves
people are willing to move to alternatives, even when there is a cost to do
so.  With OS X, the cost is more financial... with Linux the costs are
elsewhere.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/9/2011 6:19:16 PM
On 2011-05-08, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even FreeBSD and
>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>
> Yea.
> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
> applications.

    Yes. This is sometimes missing in WinDOS amazingly enough.

--

	"Music is everybody's possession.
	It's only publishers who think that people own it."          |||
On 2011-05-09, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchmail.com> wrote:

> "flatfish+++" <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:26:09 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Lyrik > You can have a *far* wider range of desktops on Linux (or even
>>> FreeBSD and
>>> Solaris) than you can on "Windows".
>>
>> Yea.
>> The only think missing is hardware support for recent hardware and
>> applications.
>>
>> Two things, amongst others, that send people running from Linux.
>>

> Just what everybody I talk with wants... more window managers and desktops.

....they are the gateway and encapsulate much of the basic underlying system
functionality. They aren't entirely invisible. They also are a big part of
how anyone does "work" on a system.

[deletia]