linux & canon pixma ip3000 printer

My hp deskjet 920c broke during printjob (second hp printer with lifespan of
less then 2 yrs) and i would like to buy a new color inktjet printer and
preferbaly not HP, the inktcartridges cost to much too. The Canon Pixma
IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work very good with winxp,
but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3) and i would like to use the
printer with linux as well. If i can't print photos or cd-roms with linux
thats ok, but i would very much like to print colored text and agenda (from
korganizer) and the likes.
The information about canon printers and linux in general and the ip3000
more specifically doesnt look very promising. Does anyone use an IP3000 with
linux ? Or what other printer can you suggest to me ?

thanx,

Pugi!

0
Pugi
2/8/2005 8:45:36 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:45:36 +0100, Pugi! wrote:

> My hp deskjet 920c broke during printjob (second hp printer with lifespan of
> less then 2 yrs) and i would like to buy a new color inktjet printer and
> preferbaly not HP, the inktcartridges cost to much too. The Canon Pixma
> IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work very good with winxp,
> but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3) and i would like to use the
> printer with linux as well. If i can't print photos or cd-roms with linux
> thats ok, but i would very much like to print colored text and agenda (from
> korganizer) and the likes.
> The information about canon printers and linux in general and the ip3000
> more specifically doesnt look very promising. Does anyone use an IP3000 with
> linux ? Or what other printer can you suggest to me ?
>
> thanx,
>
> Pugi!

Canon has not had a good reputation so far as linux goes. Right now, the
best printer support seems to be coming from HP (like it or not) and
Epson. You might want to look at the epson kowa web site - they have
information about linux and their scanners and printers - even have
'iscan' scanner software for Linux. I believe you can find the latest
about linux printing at linuxprinting.org.

0
ray65 (5421)
2/8/2005 9:05:10 PM
There's a commercial set of printer drivers called TurboPrint that I
think supports Canon photo printers.  www.turboprint.de

0
jmshaffer (49)
2/8/2005 11:15:36 PM
Jim Shaffer wrote:

> There's a commercial set of printer drivers called TurboPrint that I
> think supports Canon photo printers.  www.turboprint.de

I have a Canon S800 myself and can testify that the printerdrivers from
http://www.turboprint.de work perfectly. Print-quality is at least as good
as that of the windows-drivers.

Peter

0
Peter
2/9/2005 9:38:34 AM
| The Canon Pixma IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work
| very good with winxp, but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3)
| and i would like to use the printer with linux as well. If i can't
| print photos or cd-roms with linux thats ok, but i would very much
| like to print colored text and agenda (from korganizer)
| and the likes.
|
| The information about canon printers and linux in general
| and the ip3000 more specifically doesnt look very promising.
|
| Does anyone use an IP3000 with linux ?

   I've been using a Canon ip3000 under Debian Sarge
   for the past couple of months ....

   Configured with CUPS using the KDE Control Center
   to use the Canon BJC-7004 driver that was included
   with Debian ....

   General text print quality is excellent
   with either black-only or colored text ....

   I've only done a couple of tests to try and print
   colored photos and only on plain-paper, not photo-paper ....

   This test on plain-paper was nothing to write home about,
   with the colors looking a bit off, but I didn't monkey
   with settings or trying photo-paper, or the different
   drivers that others have suggested here ....

   The print quality of photos using photo-paper is excellent
   on the same system dual-booted into Win98_SE and using
   the drivers from the Canon installation CD ....

   In the vernacular of linuxprinting.org,  I would say
   that it *mostly works*  with the config and drivers
   that I'm currently using under Debian Linux ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being