Taming the Acer Aspir beast.

The Acer Aspire desktop offers a lot of hardware for less than $300. That i=
s the good news. The bad news is Windows 8.5.1 and a custom Bios. Eventuall=
y I got it running under Slackware 14.2.=20

Windows 8.5.1 offers page after page of games, ads and apps but no index, T=
his renders the computer useless for serious work.  there are 6 partitions,=
 Step one is to delete all these partitions using cfdisk. Create the swap s=
pace (sda1) and dedicate the rest to your Linux partition. Initially the BI=
OS is set that the hard disk gets priority.=20

Instead select first priority and set it for the DVD drive. The second prio=
rity is set to the hard disk and the remaining two priorities can be set to=
 null. Other combinations can work but that is my KISS selection. You may h=
ave to diddle with other parts of the bios  but the above is the core discu=
ssion.

The disk drive offers a terabyte of storage. The rest of the hardware is up=
 to date.The case is sturdy metal. I tried installing SUSE followed by Fedo=
ra work station followed to my old reliable Slackware. SUSE wants to repart=
ition the disk. Let it.

The upfront work is significant but you end up with a powerful box at low c=
ost.
0
wexfordpress
12/19/2016 9:26:20 PM
comp.os.linux.hardware 9621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 4:26:23 PM UTC-5, wexfordpress wrote:
> The Acer Aspire desktop offers a lot of hardware for less than $300. That=
 is the good news. The bad news is Windows 8.5.1 and a custom Bios. Eventua=
lly I got it running under Slackware 14.2.=20
>=20
> Windows 8.5.1 offers page after page of games, ads and apps but no index,=
 This renders the computer useless for serious work.  there are 6 partition=
s, Step one is to delete all these partitions using cfdisk. Create the swap=
 space (sda1) and dedicate the rest to your Linux partition. Initially the =
BIOS is set that the hard disk gets priority.=20
>=20
> Instead select first priority and set it for the DVD drive. The second pr=
iority is set to the hard disk and the remaining two priorities can be set =
to null. Other combinations can work but that is my KISS selection. You may=
 have to diddle with other parts of the bios  but the above is the core dis=
cussion.
>=20
> The disk drive offers a terabyte of storage. The rest of the hardware is =
up to date.The case is sturdy metal. I tried installing SUSE followed by Fe=
dora work station followed to my old reliable Slackware. SUSE wants to repa=
rtition the disk. Let it.
>=20
> The upfront work is significant but you end up with a powerful box at low=
 cost.

Addendum: on the Aspire box the button to open the dvd drive is the right e=
nd of the horizontal chrome bar right below the drive. This is not obvious =
and the machine does not ship with this instruction.
0
wexfordpress