create disk image of a reiserfs partition using dd

Hello,

I have a 40GB Seagate Drive on a Redhat 9.0 Linux machine.
10 GB of that drive is partitioned as /data (/dev/hda8) using
reiserfs.
I am no longer able to mount /data and my logs show that Drive Seek
Errors Occur whenever I try.

Running Resierfsck yeilds.

******
The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem.
Check your hard drive for badblocks.

bread: Cannot read the block (16).
******

Using a HDD utility from seagate, I verified that my drive does have
physical errors.

Since it is still in warranty I intend to have it replaced, however, I
would also want to recover all the stuff that I can recover from
/data.

I tried copying the filesystem into an image file like so....

dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/tmp/hdd8.img conv=noerrors

then try to mount it on a loop device

losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/hdd8.img
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/hdd8

but all I get is

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I must be doing something wrong because mount usually recognizes
reiserfs.
It must be in how I created the image.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

In article <3fbf52ea.0308180521.a529425@posting.google.com>,
osirishinzen <osirishinzen@hotpop.com> wrote:
> I have a 40GB Seagate Drive on a Redhat 9.0 Linux machine.
> 10 GB of that drive is partitioned as /data (/dev/hda8) using
> reiserfs.

> I tried copying the filesystem into an image file like so....
>
> dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/tmp/hdd8.img conv=noerrors

Verify that hdd8.img is 10 GB.  If it's smaller, something's wrong with the
"dd" command.  Putting it in /tmp is OK as long as you know nothing will
come along and clean it.

> then try to mount it on a loop device
>
> losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/hdd8.img
> mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/hdd8

In Linux (maybe other OSes too) you can shorten this to

mount /tmp/hdd8.img /mnt/hdd8 -o loop

> but all I get is
>
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

You need to supply the "-t reiserfs" option to mount.  A good idea is to
mount it read-only, by adding "-o ro".  If this still fails, try having
"mount" read from an alternate superblock via "-o sb=xxx", where xxx=8193,
16385, etc.  (Usually)

BTW, what does this have to do with SSH?

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell
0
ebenONE (637)
8/18/2003 5:08:15 PM
In article <bhr16b$hnu$1@pc.tampabay.rr.com>,
Hactar <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge> wrote:
> BTW, what does this have to do with SSH?

Never mind, wrong newsgroup.  This article is thoroughly relevant.

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN
0
ebenONE (637)

Creating Disk Image that works on OS 9 & OS X
My Carbon application has a Mach-O Framework embedded in its bundle. I created the framework to get at one Mach-O only function and it works well. But, the problem comes when distributing this app. Originally, I just created a stuffit archive and distributed this way. This works fine for OS 9 (which doesn't need to call the Mach-O Framework). But under OS X, it fails because the symbolic links to the various components of my framework aren't set up properly when unstuffing the data. So, I created a disk image using Disk Copy under OS X, and everything is fine again ...

Using dd to copy disk partition corrupts complete target disk
Hey all, I have an Ultra-10 with Solaris 9: [/home/crew/michael@sunny]uname -a SunOS sunny 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 I have 2 disk drives installed. The first one is a Seagate, the second one a Samsung. I want to make a backup copy of my root partition, which currently is on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0, on my second disk which is /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0. The target partition is larger than the source partition. # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <ST39140A cyl 17660 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63> /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/dad@0,0 ...

expanding a disk image using dd
Hi, all. I have a disk image I am wanting to expand to a larger size. I have been trying to use dd to create a new disk image like so: dd if=root_fs_i386 of=test.img bs=$[1024**2] count=200 to my knowledge, that should be writing from root_fs_i386 to test.img (bs is 512) and disk image of 200 MB. Does not work, unfortunately. I attempted to create a test image (test.img), format it for ext2fs and dd root_fs_i386 to that image, but the resulting test.img gets cheerfully resized to 92 MB, the size of the original image. I have been trying out permutations on the above to resolve the issue,...

Partitioning disks using Linux FDISK
OK. Is this ever going to work? I'm formatting the partitions using Linux's FDISK command. Using this I'm able to set the Sun disk label and also set the partition types as sun types. I can boot from my linux CD and see all the partitions which I can quite happily backup and restore using a linux utility. Boot block is causing me problems at the moment though... Is there any reason this won't work? Does the sun install do anything else special at install time? BertieBigBollox@gmail.com <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> wrote: > OK. Is this ever going to work? > I...

Creating disk images for emulation on OS X
Hi. I've downloaded Llamatron from the llamasoft site, but it's a .zip file which expands to the raw .prg files etc.. What I need is a disk image that I can use either with Hatari or NoSTalgia. Are there any utilities for turning a folder into a disk image at all? Would prefer OS X utils, but platform doesn't really matter too much as I have VMware images of Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) too. Cheers, Ian On Aug 25, 5:29 pm, Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote: > Hi. > > I've downloaded Llamatron from the llamasoft site, but it's a .zip ...

How to create a disk image in OS 10.5.6?
I installed OS 10.5.6 on a clean partition, and it is working well. Previously I was using OS 10.2.8 which has two programs, Disk Copy, which lets you make encrypted or not encrypted disk images, and Disk Utility, which is for other things like verifying and repairing disks. How can I make encrypted disk images using OS 10.5.6? The Disk Utility of 10.5.6 seems to be about the same as the Disk Utility of 10.2.8, neither of which can create disk images. Thanks --- Joe In article <none-0111101408340001@dialup-4.231.168.194.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net> , Joe <none@g...

Using 'dd' To Make Disk Images
I have a logical disk built out of a RAID array (Mylex 960 Controller). I want to make a bit image copy of the disk to tape. The idea is that if the disk gets clobbered, I can just restore the image from tape. IOW, I want a "hands off" restore process that recreates the entire disk as it was at the time of the image snapshot. I want to preserve everything including the boot sector and loader... I'm thinking of booting a CD-based live filesystem and doing something like this: dd if=/dev/rmlxd1 of=/dev/sa0 For restore, I would use: dd if=/dev/sa0 of=/dev...

how to force reload /dev after creating disk image with dd?
I am writing a script that - write a disk image that creates 2 partitions, one has files, the other is empty - untar an archive to the empty partition This is done on a SD card /dev/sdd However, after the dd command, the partitions do not appear as /dev/ sdd1 and /dev/sdd2 as they should. However if I use fdisk I can see them. They only appear after I remove the card and plug it back. The result is that my script fails to mount the 2nd partition after the dd command. How can I tell the kernel to reload the disk table (however it's called) after the dd command? On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:41...

Copy WinXP partition to new disk using Linux
I want to be able to copy my /winxp partition on an old disk to a new disk and then boot from the new disk. It was no problem to copy everything over (while Linux was booted) but when I try to boot from the new disk it complains that the disk is not bootable. What do I need to do? I also made the new disk "FAT32" is that going to be a problem once I get it booted? Thanks in advance, John > I want to be able to copy my /winxp partition on an old disk to a new > disk and then boot from the new disk. It was no problem to copy > everything over (wh...

Disk Utility - unable to create partition image
Hello, I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a Mac Pro with the original hard drive. I am unable to create a disk image using Disk Utility. I get the error: "Unable to create "disk0s2.dmg". Resource busy. This happens whether I select the top level Hard Drive icon or the "MacIntosh HD" one representing the partition. And it happens whether I try to save to a file on the same disk or on an external drive. When I make an image of just a folder, it works. Pressing Ctrl-Option-Esc shows only the Finder and Disk Utility applications running. The result is the same if I boo...

how to use partitioned IDE hard disk of windows in Suse Linux
hello . I would like to know about how to use my new hard disk(IDE) that 's been partitioned by windows into Suse linux. i am able to mount it but cant access by linux to write something (while hard disck is vfat formated). should i reformat it by linux. as i dont want to use this hard disk by windows machine. kindly help me out one better way. and how to do that. regards champ On 25 Mar 2006 02:26:44 -0800, champ <pankaj.seismo@gmail.com> wrote: > hello . > I would like to know about how to use my new hard disk(IDE) that 's > been partitioned by...

How do I clone a Linux install to larger / and /home partitions (using Partimage images)?
I swapped the internal HDD in my laptop for a larger one and migrated my Linux OS by making images of the / and /home partitions with partimage and then restoring these images to the new partitions. The partimage documentation states that one can restore an image to a partition that is larger than the original filesystem size but that space may be lost or become unavailable doing this. I want / and /home to live in larger partitions than they did on the old drive. Hence, I first created larger partitions for them on the new drive and then tried to shrink them to the exact same size...

Restoring Retrospect data to an OS X disk image
I posted this on my semi-private personal tech blog: http://googlefaughnan.blogspot.com/2005/07/restoring-retrospect-data-to-os-x-disk.html It's an interesting enough technique I'll share it here. I have a hunch it's a good way to do bare metal restore from Retrospect Pro/Windows to a Mac, and perhaps even for Retrospect/Mac. Much faster than first doing a full OS install back to the exact identity of the dead disk, then installing the Retrospect client, then restoring and still having problems ... I have NOT tested whether I can do a complete restore however, I was creating the i...

Creating a disk image from an external hard drive using Parallels Transporter
My PC laptop died (bad motherboard) and I decided to go Mac. I bought a PowerBook Pro and Parallels. I took out the healthy PC laptop drive and put it in a USB enclosure and confirmed it works properly. I would now like to create an image of my old laptop (including all my apps and preferences--a perfect copy) to put on my Mac. However, it appears as if Transporter will only work if the source drive is currently running an OS (in this case, XP Pro). Since my laptop drive is only accessible as an external hard drive, Transporter doesn't recognize it. Is there a way to do this? The only...

Web resources about - create disk image of a reiserfs partition using dd - comp.os.linux.misc

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

AOMEI OneKey Recovery allows you to recreate your PC’s recovery partition
AOMEI Technology has shipped AOMEI OneKey Recovery , a brand new tool that allows Windows users to create a custom recovery partition on their ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Kim Kardashian Slams Beyonce After Wedding Feud: 'KUWTK' Season 9 Instagram Star Blames 'Partition' Singer ...
It looks like Kim Kardashian is done trying to make Beyonce her new best friend. After putting in a tremendous amount of effort to get on good ...

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...