Using iPod on a Linux PC (NOT running Linux on iPod)

(Couldn't find an iPod newsgroup...sorry if this is an inappropriate
place to post.)

I've an iPod (20GB 4th gen) that I'd like to use with my PC at work,
which uses Linux (Fedora Core 3.)
Even if it's just as a "removeable drive" (obviously I wouldn't expect
iTunes to work.)

Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.

Does anyone have any info they can point me to regarding this?

Thanks!
Liam

0
news216 (486)

On 10 Aug 2005 09:58:26 -0700, news@celticbear.com wrote:

 > I've an iPod (20GB 4th gen) that I'd like to use with my PC at work,
 > which uses Linux (Fedora Core 3.)
 >
 > Does anyone have any info they can point me to regarding this?

http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html
0
BobT (1484)
8/10/2005 5:18:34 PM
news@celticbear.com wrote:

> Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
> the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.

http://www.gtkpod.org/
0
duke11 (340)
8/10/2005 5:21:33 PM
In article <1123693106.560466.270200@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 news@celticbear.com wrote:

> (Couldn't find an iPod newsgroup...sorry if this is an inappropriate
> place to post.)
>
> I've an iPod (20GB 4th gen) that I'd like to use with my PC at work,
> which uses Linux (Fedora Core 3.)
> Even if it's just as a "removeable drive" (obviously I wouldn't expect
> iTunes to work.)
>
> Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
> the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.
>
> Does anyone have any info they can point me to regarding this?

Err.. I Googled on "Linux iPod", and the first page of results included
"Using an iPod with Linux", at
<http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html>, a detailed
step-by-step guide.  Where were you searching?

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0:  Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.
Black Sun and said:
> I've an iPod (20GB 4th gen) that I'd like to use with my PC at work,
> which uses Linux (Fedora Core 3.) Even if it's just as a "removeable
> drive" (obviously I wouldn't expect iTunes to work.)

?  Make sure ohci1394 and sbp2 (for Firewire) or ehci_hcd (for USB2) are
modprobed.  Plug iPod in using USB2 or Firewire.  "mount /dev/sda2
/mnt/ipod".  Start gtkpod.  Profit!

> Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
> the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.

Google://"ipod linux" returns that sort of thing, true.  If you're
looking for a Linux program that does $THING or works with $HARDWARE,
the thing to do is to go to http://freshmeat.net/ or
http://sourceforge.net/ and search that site for $THING or $HARDWARE .
Doing a freshmeat search on "ipod" and filtering the results by eyeball
to exclude OS X programs gives you gtkpod.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

On 2005-08-10, Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> Err.. I Googled on "Linux iPod", and the first page of results included
> "Using an iPod with Linux", at
><http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html>, a detailed
> step-by-step guide.  Where were you searching?

I too googled Linux iPod, and that link was fifth down, not first.
The OP still should have found it, though.

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

In article <5arps2xtp4.ln2@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
 Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
>
> On 2005-08-10, Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
> >
> > Err.. I Googled on "Linux iPod", and the first page of results included
> > "Using an iPod with Linux", at
> ><http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html>, a detailed
> > step-by-step guide.  Where were you searching?
>
> I too googled Linux iPod, and that link was fifth down, not first.
> The OP still should have found it, though.

"First page", not "first result".

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0:  Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.
See http://www.atomicbird.com/
0
tph (2302)
8/10/2005 6:03:33 PM
<posted & mailed>

You want something like GtkPod? There are several iPod interface apps for
Linux, check freshmeat.net

--
Remove '.nospam' from e-mail address to reply by e-mail
James McIninch wrote:
> <posted & mailed>
>
> You want something like GtkPod? There are several iPod interface apps for
> Linux, check freshmeat.net
>

> news@celticbear.com wrote:
> > Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
> > the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.
> >
> > Does anyone have any info they can point me to regarding this?

Wow, what a lot of responses! Thanks!
Yes, GtkPod looks great! Seems to work great...although I'm having a
problem with syncing the files from the PC to the iPod...looks like
write permission issue.
::shrug:: I'll figure it out.
Thanks!!
Liam
PS: I swear, I went through three pages of Google and all I could find
were references to running Linux on iPod. I may have skipped a few that
the description blurb looked like the same thing, though. And GtkPod
may have been one of those.

0
news216 (486)
8/10/2005 6:50:18 PM
James McIninch wrote:
> <posted & mailed>
>
> You want something like GtkPod? There are several iPod interface apps for
> Linux, check freshmeat.net
>

> news@celticbear.com wrote:
> > Searching for info, all I can find is info regarding running Linux ON
> > the iPod, not plugging an iPod as-is into a Linux PC.
> >
> > Does anyone have any info they can point me to regarding this?

Wow, what a lot of responses! Thanks!
Yes, GtkPod looks great! Seems to work great...although I'm having a
problem with syncing the files from the PC to the iPod...looks like
write permission issue.
::shrug:: I'll figure it out.
Thanks!!
Liam
PS: I swear, I went through three pages of Google and all I could find
were references to running Linux on iPod. I may have skipped a few that
the description blurb looked like the same thing, though. And GtkPod
may have been one of those.

0
news216 (486)
8/10/2005 6:50:20 PM
On 2005-08-10, Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
> In article <5arps2xtp4.ln2@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
>  Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
>>
>> On 2005-08-10, Tom Harrington <tph@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Err.. I Googled on "Linux iPod", and the first page of results included
>> > "Using an iPod with Linux", at
>> ><http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html>, a detailed
>> > step-by-step guide.  Where were you searching?
>>
>> I too googled Linux iPod, and that link was fifth down, not first.
>> The OP still should have found it, though.
>
> "First page", not "first result".

Duh.  Sorry, obviously I misread your original post.  Oh well, I can't
be pefrect *all* the time.

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

eat this: