HELP: IP: 0.0.0.0 problem!

Hey,

When I connected my laptop to a local network via router. I couldn't
get IP address from the router's DHCP Server, while other onsite
computers have no problem. The LAN icon says the connection is good.

Router configuration:
1. allow DHCP
2. Router IP: 192.168.1.1
3. IP begins from 192.168.1.100, no maximum restriction.

Laptop configuration:
1. obtain an IP address automatically
2. obtain DNS Server address automatically

I ran "ipconfig", other computers says IP:192.168.1.1** and mask:
255.255.255.0. However, my laptop shows the IP and the mask are all
"0.0.0.0". Even I released and renewed it, nothing changed.

Please help me figure out the problem. I would be very appreciative of
any help.

Sincerely,
Jack
0
zhou5714 (1)
9/11/2003 2:46:47 PM
comp.os.linux.networking 15677 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

Zhou Gao <zhou@kucome.com> wrote:
> I ran "ipconfig", other computers says IP:192.168.1.1** and mask:
> 255.255.255.0. However, my laptop shows the IP and the mask are all
> "0.0.0.0". Even I released and renewed it, nothing changed.

Probably cable, or Ethernet card is broken.

--
andrei
0
On 11 Sep 2003 07:46:47 -0700, zhou@kucome.com (Zhou Gao) wrote:

>Hey,
>
>When I connected my laptop to a local network via router. I couldn't
>get IP address from the router's DHCP Server, while other onsite
>computers have no problem. The LAN icon says the connection is good.
>
>Router configuration:
>1. allow DHCP
>2. Router IP: 192.168.1.1
>3. IP begins from 192.168.1.100, no maximum restriction.
>
>Laptop configuration:
>1. obtain an IP address automatically
>2. obtain DNS Server address automatically
>
>I ran "ipconfig", other computers says IP:192.168.1.1** and mask:
>255.255.255.0. However, my laptop shows the IP and the mask are all
>"0.0.0.0". Even I released and renewed it, nothing changed.
>
>Please help me figure out the problem. I would be very appreciative of
>any help.
>
>Sincerely,
>Jack

I have a similar problem with a router that is supposed to allocate an
IP but doesn't.  I found that disabling the NIC and re-enabling it
solves the problem, at least until the computer is rebooted.  This is
a desktop I'm talking about, but the NIC is integrated on the
motherboard, as it would be in a laptop.  HTH

nl

I've munged my email address to avoid spam.  Replace the zeroes to reply.
0
Niall