Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...

Guys:

This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to
leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I
have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot
with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other
computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all
computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I
thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on
day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one
Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with
Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my
Router with new Router, samething.

CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine.
But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K
PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router.

I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with
cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine.

Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address,
all are Unique MAC's.

Thanks in advance.
comp.os.linux.networking 15677 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

Santa wrote:
> Guys:
>
> This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to
> leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I
> have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot
> with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other
> computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all
> computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I
> thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on
> day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one
> Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with
> Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my
> Router with new Router, samething.
>
> CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine.
> But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K
> PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router.
>
> I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with
> cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine.
>
> Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address,
> all are Unique MAC's.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think you'd first verify if you have conflicts in IP addresses.
0
rsacco (15)
11/26/2004 10:37:56 PM
I verified that, no conflict for IP address at all. I  can see in DHCP
table, Ip addresses versus MAC addresses. Also my gateway (Router) is
192.168.0.1, my laptop is 192.168.0.2, my XP PC was 192.168.0.3, when
I boot by Win2K/Linux PC,  either in Linux or Win2K, it is always
192.168.0.4. I plugged in new NIC card, then I configurte that, if I
plugin cabble in that then I got 192.168.0.5. All IP addresses are
unique as well as MAC's are Unique, but strange is, when I boot with
Win2K, all computers are out of Network (when my Win2K is booting, I
am running "ping www.yahoo.com" on all other computers, once Win2K
comesup, all pings says "request times out").

Thanks.
Santa wrote:

> I verified that, no conflict for IP address at all. I  can see in DHCP
> table, Ip addresses versus MAC addresses. Also my gateway (Router) is
> 192.168.0.1, my laptop is 192.168.0.2, my XP PC was 192.168.0.3, when
> I boot by Win2K/Linux PC,  either in Linux or Win2K, it is always
> 192.168.0.4. I plugged in new NIC card, then I configurte that, if I
> plugin cabble in that then I got 192.168.0.5. All IP addresses are
> unique as well as MAC's are Unique, but strange is, when I boot with
> Win2K, all computers are out of Network (when my Win2K is booting, I
> am running "ping www.yahoo.com" on all other computers, once Win2K
> comesup, all pings says "request times out").
>
> Thanks.
Have you checked on the win2K PC if there are any IRQ conflicts and the
drivers are loaded correctly...??
0
jsmiley (51)
11/27/2004 3:23:57 PM
Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
conflict.
Santa wrote:

> Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
> conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
> Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
> problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
> conflict.

This is not a Linux problem at all, so I don't know why you posted in
comp.os.linux.networking. It sounds like you have a firewall on the
Win2k box that is blocking your lan.

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."
0
Santa wrote:

> Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
> conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
> Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
> problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
> conflict.

That would show up in device manager.
Another question: which services have you enabled on the w2k machine - is it
a "w2k _server_ edition" by any chance and running a (2nd) dhcp server, or
announce weird things through UpnP (turn this off)?
�to�remove�offending�incompatible�products.��Reactivate�your�MS�software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]
How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.
santa19992000@yahoo.com (Santa) wrote in

> How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.

Try asking a Windoze froup not a Linux forum.
0
IANAL_Vista (516)
11/29/2004 2:09:09 AM
I verified, I can see Modem IRQ is same as Network adapter (IRQ 9),
but memory range is different. I don't know how to check whether it is
DHCP server?. I can see DHCP enabled in the properties. How can I
check "w2k _server_ edition", also how to turnoff UpnP?. I don't have
much knowledge in Windows. Please help me, apprecited for your help.
Santa wrote:

> How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.

Hook it up to the internet and see how long it takes to get infected.  If
infected quickly, there's no firewall.  If it takes at least 5 minutes, the
firewall is enabled.  ;-)

0
james.knott (739)
11/29/2004 3:25:21 AM
Santa wrote:

> I verified, I can see Modem IRQ is same as Network adapter (IRQ 9),

IRQ 9 is a common ACPI "place holder", you should not need to worry. But in
case you don't need the onboard ac97 modem, it's always a good idea to
deactivate it in your bios.

> but memory range is different. I don't know how to check whether it is
> DHCP server?. I can see DHCP enabled in the properties. How can I

Just post the output of "ipconfig /all" and "route print" from the win2k pc,
as well as from one of your XP boxen, when connected to the router.
You may also compare "ifconfig" and "route" outputs in linux with these
obtained from windows. Especially important is the "default gateway".

> check "w2k _server_ edition", also how to turnoff UpnP?. I don't have
> much knowledge in Windows. Please help me, apprecited for your help.

I guess you don't have the server, and dhcp enabled means "client".
Do you have something like zonealarm or norton firewall on the box? Can you
ping it from XP, or get anything else but "connection refused" when you try
to open a command prompt in XP and "telnet <ip_of_2k> 445 (or 139)?