configure problems

hi all:

My appologies for such a newbie questin, but, I'm not familiar with this
topic enough.. Iv just
upgraded my linux - acctually reinstalled on new system - version 9.  Now,
back in ver 7, I was
simply able to run "configure" to setup new apps such as qpopper... now in
ver 9, configure
seems to be missing... i.e. $configure  configure: command not found.

is it hidding somewhere?  any  help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Richard

0
Morrison
10/10/2004 10:03:47 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Hello

Morrison (<lycergic2003@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> My appologies for such a newbie questin, but, I'm not familiar with
> this topic enough.. Iv just upgraded my linux - acctually reinstalled
> on new system - version 9.

That version is actually quite old already. Is there still support for
RH9? Maybe you want to switch to Fedora Core 2 or 3.

> Now, back in ver 7, I was simply able to
> run "configure" to setup new apps such as qpopper...
> now in ver 9, configure seems to be missing... i.e. $configure
> configure: command not found.
>
> is it hidding somewhere?  any  help would be greatly appriciated.

configure is not a system program, it comes with the source code. You
should be able to call it using

../configure

(perhaps the current directory is not in the PATH). Maybe the source
code does not have a configure script. Check the documentation, like
the README and/or INSTALL files.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html
0
Andreas
10/10/2004 9:10:43 PM
In article <4169a0b0@news.sentex.net>, Morrison wrote:

>My appologies for such a newbie questin, but, I'm not familiar with this
>topic enough.. Iv just upgraded my linux - acctually reinstalled on new
>system - version 9.  Now, back in ver 7,

Version 7... 9...  That could be Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, or even
Slackware, all of which are quite different.

>I was simply able to run "configure" to setup new apps such as qpopper...

"configure" is usually a shell script located in the build directory of
applications. For example

[compton ~]$ locate configure
/hubble/incoming/downloads/arping-1.06/arping-2/configure
/hubble/incoming/downloads/libpcap-0.8.2/configure
/hubble/new/ppp-2.4.2/configure
/hubble/new/ppp-2.4.2/pppd/plugins/radius/radiusclient/configure
[compton ~]$

I would be somewhat surprised to see a distribution having such a
command, so would you clarify that a bit further?

>now in ver 9, configure seems to be missing... i.e. $configure
>configure: command not found.

Often, that means that the current directory isn't in your PATH (as
root, it should NEVER be, and an ordinary user might get a nasty
surprise if the current directory is in the PATH, and writable by
others).  Does 'ls configure' show the file?  Is it executable by
you?

[compton /hubble/new/ppp-2.4.2]$ ls -l configure
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5081 Nov  9  2002 configure
[compton /hubble/new/ppp-2.4.2]$

To run this command, I would need to type

  ./configure

>is it hidding somewhere?

Might be in plain sight.

I see you also posted this same article to "comp.os.linux.help",
"comp.os.linux.redhat" and "alt.os.linux".  First, please do not
multi-post (posting the same article SEPARATELY to multiple news
groups. If you really must post to more than one group (something
that is _rarely_ required), put all of the groups into the
Newsgroups: header separated by commas. That way, people  only have
to download one copy.    Seconds, point your news tool at
news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, or news.lists.misc  and see the
post "List of Big Eight Newsgroups" to find a list of valid newsgroups.
"comp.os.linux.help" was renamed "comp.os.linux.misc" back in 1994 -
though some news admins _still_ haven't gotten the word.
"comp.os.linux.redhat" has never been a valid newsgroup.

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin