Configuring display problems..

I am a beginner to Linux and after searching and trying for a long long
time finally decided to come to the forums for help.
I installed Linux by making partition to have a dual OS Windows XP and
Red Hat Fedora 4 and everything was well and fine. I logged in to Linux
and played around and changed the display setting since the display was
too big and the display selected was "Generic". I changed it to 15inch
with 1024 x 768 and restarted the machine. It showed the initial
messages and I was waiting for the login screen and the login screen
never came. I powered off and restarted and nope.. I feel that I did
not choose the proper display settings. So now what should I do. I can
re-install but I do not want to do that. Is there a easier way to go to
the configuration file.
I have a hp dv6113US notebook with 15inch display. Any help is greatly
appreciated and awaited.

0
sachin
1/3/2007 5:10:59 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

sachin.readytohelp@gmail.com wrote:

> I am a beginner to Linux and after searching and trying for a long long
> time finally decided to come to the forums for help.
> I installed Linux by making partition to have a dual OS Windows XP and
> Red Hat Fedora 4 and everything was well and fine. I logged in to Linux
> and played around and changed the display setting since the display was
> too big and the display selected was "Generic". I changed it to 15inch
> with 1024 x 768 and restarted the machine. It showed the initial
> messages and I was waiting for the login screen and the login screen
> never came. I powered off and restarted and nope.. I feel that I did
> not choose the proper display settings. So now what should I do. I can
> re-install but I do not want to do that. Is there a easier way to go to
> the configuration file.
> I have a hp dv6113US notebook with 15inch display. Any help is greatly
> appreciated and awaited.

First nothing is/was wrong with the generic setting, second you have a
notebook with an LCD and not a generic CRT Monitor. As root try the
following when booted into runlevel3 (see below);

system-config-display --reconfig --set-depth=16 --set-resolution=1024x768

When the grub splash screen is displayed press the 'Esc' key. Select the
Linux boot choice and press the 'e' key. Select the kernel line and press
the 'e' key again, sample line;

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet

At the end of the line add a space followed by the number 3, sample line;

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet 3

When done press the 'Enter' key followed by the 'b' key and log on as root
when prompted.

You may want to visit the nVidia web site and download the closed source
graphics driver also afterwards;

Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.
0
Lenard
1/3/2007 6:32:37 PM
I had to start Linux at Level 3 which is the text version. To start at
level 3:
	- At the boot prompt I pressed A it showed something like this:
		ro root=LABEL=/l quiet
		I added 3 in front of it and it started the boot. I entered the root
userid and password
Then I gave the following for my laptop:
system-config-display --reconfig --set-depth=16
--set-resolution=1024x768
 and then exited.

I then restarted. It went into graphical mode and restarted. I booted
and went to System->Display and change the display settings. For my
laptop I gave LCD-

1024x768

Again restarted. It worked

Thanx for your help