How to disable NIS in Linux

    Formerly, we have two computers A and B. A is set up as a NIS
server, while B is a client. Now, we want to switch A and B: A is a
client and B is a server.

    First, I want to remove the NIS client in the B. However, after I
shutdown ypbind, use "setup" to remove the NIS authentication, it
didn't work. Say, when I use useradd to add a new account in B, it is
said "cannot create the account".

   Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks you very much!
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 14:34 -0800, BBH wrote:
> Formerly, we have two computers A and B. A is set up as a NIS
> server, while B is a client. Now, we want to switch A and B: A is a
> client and B is a server.
>
>     First, I want to remove the NIS client in the B. However, after I
> shutdown ypbind, use "setup" to remove the NIS authentication, it
> didn't work. Say, when I use useradd to add a new account in B, it is
> said "cannot create the account".
>
>    Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks you very much!

It's likely the evil nscd is the culprit.  In general is may cause
more problems than it solves.  It's designed to cache things like NIS
information data to prevent a myriad of constant lookups.  But since
it remembers... it can get in the way when you actually make
a change.

See if the nscd process is running... try killing and then see
if you're able to do the rest.

Just a guess...

0
Chris
11/9/2009 11:26:14 PM
On Nov 9, 5:34=A0pm, BBH <jingquan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 Formerly, we have two computers A and B. A is set up as a NIS
> server, while B is a client. Now, we want to switch A and B: A is a
> client and B is a server.

The normally correct way to do this is that A and B both look to A as
a server, and you switch to using B as a server for both systems. This
means that NIS is configured to only publish a range of addresses,
usually uid's from 500 on up, and lower uid's are not published.

> =A0 =A0 First, I want to remove the NIS client in the B. However, after I
> shutdown ypbind, use "setup" to remove the NIS authentication, it
> didn't work. Say, when I use useradd to add a new account in B, it is
> said "cannot create the account".

Wait. Which "setup" command is this? Which Linux are you using? on
RHEL, it's system-config-authentication, or authconfig. (These
commands are linked in interesting ways to provide complex GUI's if
you're running an X server, and a text based interface if you're not.)

> =A0 =A0Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks you very much!

The command "ypwhich" will always inform you what your NIS server is
set to. The command "ypcat passwd" will inform you of what you're
publishing for the password file information, particularly usernames
and uid's. It's the existence of a previous account with the same
name, or of insufficient privileges on the NIS client, that normally
cause problems adding new user accounts.

NIS accounts should normally be added on the NIS server: the
information about this server is in /etc/yp.conf, and the selection of
password file, NIS, or LDAP for authenticaton is in /etc/
nsswitch.conf. Perhaps you could post the contents of those files so
we can give better hints?
0
Nico
11/10/2009 12:11:21 AM
Thanks a lot!

1: Here is  nsswitch.conf

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files

netgroup:   files

publickey:  nisplus

automount:  files
aliases:    files nisplus

2: yp.conf
# /etc/yp.conf - ypbind configuration file
# Valid entries are
#
# domain NISDOMAIN server HOSTNAME
#       Use server HOSTNAME for the domain NISDOMAIN.
#
# domain NISDOMAIN broadcast
#       Use  broadcast  on  the local net for domain NISDOMAIN
#
# domain NISDOMAIN slp
#       Query local SLP server for ypserver supporting NISDOMAIN
#
# ypserver HOSTNAME
#       Use server HOSTNAME for the  local  domain.  The
#       IP-address of server must be listed in /etc/hosts.
#
# broadcast
#       If no server for the default domain is specified or
#       none of them is rechable, try a broadcast call to
#       find a server.
#
#domain tlab server 192.168.1.9

3: more /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=berkeley
NETWORKING=yes
NISDOMAIN=tlab

4: After I run useradd, I am told ""cannot create the directory".
However, in /etc/passwd, there are some accounts. But no such
directory in /home.

mytest1:!!:526:526::/home/mytest1:/bin/bash
mytest12:!!:527:527::/home/mytest12:/bin/bash
mytest4:!!:528:528::/home/mytest4:/bin/bash
mytest5:!!:529:529::/home/mytest5:/bin/bash
mytst:!!:530:530::/home/mytst:/bin/bash
mytest6:!!:531:531::/home/mytest6:/bin/bash
123:!!:532:532::/home/123:/bin/bash
1234:!!:533:533::/home/1234:/bin/bash

0
BBH
11/10/2009 12:25:00 AM
On Nov 9, 7:25=A0pm, BBH <jingquan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
>
> 1: Here is =A0nsswitch.conf

> passwd: =A0 =A0 files
> shadow: =A0 =A0 files
> group: =A0 =A0 =A0files
>
> #hosts: =A0 =A0 db files nisplus nis dns
> hosts: =A0 =A0 =A0files dns
>
> bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=3Dreturn] files
>
> ethers: =A0 =A0 files
> netmasks: =A0 files
> networks: =A0 files
> protocols: =A0files
> rpc: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0files
> services: =A0 files
>
> netgroup: =A0 files
>
> publickey: =A0nisplus
>
> automount: =A0files
> aliases: =A0 =A0files nisplus
>
> 2: yp.conf
> # /etc/yp.conf - ypbind configuration file
> # Valid entries are
> #
> # domain NISDOMAIN server HOSTNAME
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 Use server HOSTNAME for the domain NISDOMAIN.
> #
> # domain NISDOMAIN broadcast
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 Use =A0broadcast =A0on =A0the local net for domain NISDOMAI=
> #
> # domain NISDOMAIN slp
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 Query local SLP server for ypserver supporting NISDOMAIN
> #
> # ypserver HOSTNAME
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 Use server HOSTNAME for the =A0local =A0domain. =A0The
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 IP-address of server must be listed in /etc/hosts.
> #
> # broadcast
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 If no server for the default domain is specified or
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 none of them is rechable, try a broadcast call to
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 find a server.
> #
> #domain tlab server 192.168.1.9
>
> 3: more /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING_IPV6=3Dyes
> HOSTNAME=3Dberkeley
> NETWORKING=3Dyes
> NISDOMAIN=3Dtlab
>
> 4: After I run useradd, I am told ""cannot create the directory".
> However, in /etc/passwd, there are some accounts. But no such
> directory in /home.
>
> mytest1:!!:526:526::/home/mytest1:/bin/bash
> mytest12:!!:527:527::/home/mytest12:/bin/bash
> mytest4:!!:528:528::/home/mytest4:/bin/bash
> mytest5:!!:529:529::/home/mytest5:/bin/bash
> mytst:!!:530:530::/home/mytst:/bin/bash
> mytest6:!!:531:531::/home/mytest6:/bin/bash
> 123:!!:532:532::/home/123:/bin/bash
> 1234:!!:533:533::/home/1234:/bin/bash

It looks you've disabled NIS. What does "ypwhich" say? And What
happens if you delete the account and attempt to re-add it? And is /
home perhaps NFS mounted, with root permissions disabled, which would
block "useradd" from creating accounts?
0
Nico
11/10/2009 4:00:42 AM
Nico,

    Thanks a lot first. /home is a folder in the local machine.  I
tried both ypwhich and yptest. here is the output.

[root@berkeley etc]# ypwhich
ypwhich: Can't communicate with ypbind

[root@berkeley etc]# yptest
Test 1: domainname
Configured domainname is "tlab"

Test 2: ypbind
Can't communicate with ypbind

    I also use "strace" to trace useradd, and it shows that useradd
sends a message to the NIS server instead of creating an account in
the local machine. Are there some commands that can be used to check
the NIS processes or daemons?

Thanks a lot!
0
BBH

Linux, Linux, Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

My Linux is not your Linux

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset | designer Enteos. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9710475530.html Open Linux developer phone opens up more ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its | user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software | developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to | running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only | in its supplied hardware/software configuration. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4872069549.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will >| provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many >| thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") >| a...

How-to disable Linux Security flaw: linux single.
We had an MCSE come in as a security consultant and he told us to toss our Linux machine because of a serious flaw. It seems that anyone can get into the machine by typing "linux single" at the console. This wasn't too much of a concern because we run mostly Win2003 here, but we do have a couple of Linux machines so we can read some files that Linloser clients send us. That being said, I need to know how to fix the "linux single" problem so not everyone can get into the Linux machine that easily. Thanks. P.S. We will probably toss linux and use the Unix compatibil...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/news-20070501 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxtle ...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | sequence; largely adapted installer and graphical installer | front-end; enhanced installer for meta tasks; new artwork;o | ffline manual... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9846.phtml Related: Sidux: A live CD for Debian unstable ,----[ Quote ] | It's a rare distribution that impresses me before I've even tried it, | but sidux did just that when, a few hours after I'd downloaded and | burned a two-day-old preview release, the project announced that the | next release was available for download. `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/02/28/1017239.shtml?tid=127 SIDUX 2007-01 Linux LiveCD ,----[ Quote ] | Screenshots gallery `---- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=655&num=1 Testdriving Sidux 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Sidux ships with a 2.6.20 kernel, Xorg 7.1.1, gcc 4.1.2, and KDE | 3.5.5. Iceweasel 2.0.0.1 appears to be the default...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)
I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups (BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my (attempted?) post to the other group: Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for us...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

How were u introduce to Linux & what was ur 1st Linux OS???
my experience is available at http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# v cube wrote: > my experience is available at > http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# You should try all the livecds. They are free to copy and boot up without having to install - saves you days of work when evaluating different distros. http://www.livecdlist.com free to copy and install on as many machines as you wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too. At least 3 different Linux PCs ...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

Web resources about - How to disable NIS in Linux - comp.os.linux.setup

How To Disable Facebook’s Tag Suggest
Facebook last week quietly reintroduced its tag suggest feature, which uses facial-recognition technology to assist users in tagging their friends ...

How do I disable the video autoplay? - Facebook-Hilfeforum - Facebook
Stop the video autoplay! Give an option to disable! STOP! STOP!

Whopper Sacrifice Forced to Disable Behavior by Facebook (Updated)
... waves for its creative (and aggressive) use of Facebook friend removals as a way to spread the application, Facebook has forced it to disable ...

Adblock Browser - By Adblock Plus. Block ads, browse more efficiently, remove popups, disable blacklist ...
... ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Adblock Browser - By Adblock Plus. Block ads, browse more efficiently, remove popups, disable ...

Sitelinks Wont Disable - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More at www.seroundtable.com/archives/018695.html

How to Disable Facebook Places - YouTube
Learn how to disable places on Facebook altogether or just change your settings for better privacy. For more details, see http://lifehacker. ...

Java Warning - PC users told to disable Java - Security Flaw
Despite a fix, US authority continues to recommend users disable Java in their browsers.

US DOT: Auto makers should disable in-dash electronics when cars are moving
Automobile makers should prevent drivers from using their in-vehicle electronic devices to browse the Internet and send text messages while their ...

Java Hack - Experts Urge PC Users To Disable Java - Security Flaw
... update to address a critical flaw in its widely used Java program after the US Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable ...

Java Hack - Experts Urge PC Users To Disable Java - Security Flaw
A flaw in Java software is so dangerous that people should stop using it, security experts warn. JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript ...