f



Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Hello,

Problem:

  I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
  The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
interface.
  The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3.  I am trying to
mount ext3 one.

I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this:

  # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus

The error I am getting is:

  mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

My /etc/fstab contains:

  /dev/sda1  /mnt/colossus  ext3  defaults  0 0

I think I have all needed modules loaded:

  # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
  sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
  ide-scsi               12208   0
  scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]


Does anyone see anything wrong or missing?
Is there anything else I need to set up before this will work?

Any help would be very very very much much much appreciated!
Thank you.
0
otis_usenet
6/2/2004 1:30:40 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
4989 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

OtisUsenet wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Problem:
> 
>   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
>   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> interface.
>   The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3.  I am trying to
> mount ext3 one.
> 
> I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this:
> 
>   # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus
> 
> The error I am getting is:
> 
>   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> 
> My /etc/fstab contains:
> 
>   /dev/sda1  /mnt/colossus  ext3  defaults  0 0
> 
> I think I have all needed modules loaded:
> 
>   # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
>   sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
>   ide-scsi               12208   0
>   scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]
> 
> 
> Does anyone see anything wrong or missing?
> Is there anything else I need to set up before this will work?
> 
> Any help would be very very very much much much appreciated!
> Thank you.

What's the output of

   fdisk -l /dev/sda

/dan
0
Daniel
6/2/2004 1:33:26 PM
OtisUsenet <otis_usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> Problem:

>   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
>   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> interface.
>   The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3.  I am trying to
> mount ext3 one.

> I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this:

>   # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus

> The error I am getting is:

>   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Looks like it's not being detected (at least, not as a scsi).
do this... and watch
tail -f /var/log/messages
then plug in the device, does it report anything being added?
If so, what device does it get?
0
spike1
6/2/2004 3:02:48 PM
Hello,

Hmmm, fdisk -l /dev/sda gives me..... nothing!
What would that mean?

I know that the disk is fine, because I can mount its vfat partition from Windows.

Maybe I should look at it with partition Magic?

Thanks!


Daniel Ganek <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<c9kkv6$4o0$1@pcls4.std.com>...
> OtisUsenet wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > Problem:
> > 
> >   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> > my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
> >   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> > interface.
> >   The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3.  I am trying to
> > mount ext3 one.
> > 
> > I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this:
> > 
> >   # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus
> > 
> > The error I am getting is:
> > 
> >   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> > 
> > My /etc/fstab contains:
> > 
> >   /dev/sda1  /mnt/colossus  ext3  defaults  0 0
> > 
> > I think I have all needed modules loaded:
> > 
> >   # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
> >   sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> >   ide-scsi               12208   0
> >   scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]
> > 
> > 
> > Does anyone see anything wrong or missing?
> > Is there anything else I need to set up before this will work?
> > 
> > Any help would be very very very much much much appreciated!
> > Thank you.
> 
> What's the output of
> 
>    fdisk -l /dev/sda
> 
> /dan
0
otis_usenet
6/2/2004 10:27:05 PM
In article <5606b639.0406020530.69ac98a2@posting.google.com>,
	otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet) writes:
> Hello,
> 
> Problem:
> 
>   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
>   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> interface.
> 
>   # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
>   sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
>   ide-scsi               12208   0
>   scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]


You need 2 additional modules: usb-storage.
eventually you also need sg.

Also there are bugs in 2.4.20 with some ide converters. 2.4.23 and newer
works better if the harddisk blocks the system.

-- 
MFG Gernot
0
G
6/3/2004 4:35:36 AM
otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet) wrote in message news:<5606b639.0406021427.1e08b77@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> 
> Hmmm, fdisk -l /dev/sda gives me..... nothing!

I take that back.  Miraculously, this morning everything started working.

Thanks for the fdisk tip, now fdisk -l /dev/sda shows partitions nicely.



> What would that mean?
> 
> I know that the disk is fine, because I can mount its vfat partition from Windows.
> 
> Maybe I should look at it with partition Magic?
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> 
> Daniel Ganek <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<c9kkv6$4o0$1@pcls4.std.com>...
> > OtisUsenet wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > 
> > > Problem:
> > > 
> > >   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> > > my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
> > >   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> > > interface.
> > >   The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3.  I am trying to
> > > mount ext3 one.
> > > 
> > > I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this:
> > > 
> > >   # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus
> > > 
> > > The error I am getting is:
> > > 
> > >   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> > > 
> > > My /etc/fstab contains:
> > > 
> > >   /dev/sda1  /mnt/colossus  ext3  defaults  0 0
> > > 
> > > I think I have all needed modules loaded:
> > > 
> > >   # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
> > >   sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> > >   ide-scsi               12208   0
> > >   scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Does anyone see anything wrong or missing?
> > > Is there anything else I need to set up before this will work?
> > > 
> > > Any help would be very very very much much much appreciated!
> > > Thank you.
> > 
> > What's the output of
> > 
> >    fdisk -l /dev/sda
> > 
> > /dan
0
otis_usenet
6/3/2004 2:03:51 PM
It looks like the missing usb-storage and sg modules were the cause of
my troubles.  Today, the same disk did not want to mount - same error
- /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.  Doing 'lsmod' showed that
usb-storage and sg modules were NOT loaded, so I loaded them with
insmod usb-storage and insmod sg.

Now, I wonder - why were these modules not loaded automatically this
time?
I had the disk plugged in and powered while my computer was booting,
so it had the chance to detect the attached USB mass storage device...

Any ideas?
I can always add insmod lines to my rc.local, but that should not be
necessary.

Thank you again!


G.Fink@gmx.net (Gernot Fink) wrote in message news:<2i7o4nFk7rh0U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> In article <5606b639.0406020530.69ac98a2@posting.google.com>,
> 	otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet) writes:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > Problem:
> > 
> >   I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to
> > my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB.
> >   The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB
> > interface.
> > 
> >   # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd'
> >   sd_mod                 13516   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> >   ide-scsi               12208   0
> >   scsi_mod              107160   3  [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi]
> 
> 
> You need 2 additional modules: usb-storage.
> eventually you also need sg.
> 
> Also there are bugs in 2.4.20 with some ide converters. 2.4.23 and newer
> works better if the harddisk blocks the system.
0
otis_usenet
6/4/2004 8:48:27 AM
In article <5606b639.0406040048.7389b9b0@posting.google.com>,
	otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet) writes:
> It looks like the missing usb-storage and sg modules were the cause of
> my troubles.  Today, the same disk did not want to mount - same error
> - /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.  Doing 'lsmod' showed that
> usb-storage and sg modules were NOT loaded, so I loaded them with
> insmod usb-storage and insmod sg.
> 
> Now, I wonder - why were these modules not loaded automatically this
> time?

You can install hotplug.
A call with modules.conf is not possible becaus you use ide-scsi

-- 
MFG Gernot
0
G
6/5/2004 7:59:03 AM
Reply: