f



RMAIL spam

_ _ _ _ _  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RMAIL  _ _ _ _ _
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RMAIL

   #Start Wiki Markup Print View Search Index Glossary
   Help

   Spamassassin Wiki
   Search: ____________________ Titles Text
     * Login

     * Home
     * Wiki
     * RecentChanges
     * FindPage
     * HelpContents
     * RMAIL
     __________________________________________________

     * Immutable Page
     * Show Changes
     * Get Info
     * More Actions:
       [Show Raw Text......] Do

RMAIL

   RMAIL in EMACS

   For RMAIL in EMACS and the intermediate beginner trying
   to figure out how to use the SpamAssassin headers where
   a system, for example a university system, has
   SpamAssassin headers appearing on the RMAIL messages in
   EMACS there is for some systems a bit of information
   that might work at [WWW]
   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/RmailSpamFilter

   For others using RMAIL in EMACS more information needs
   to be developed that can be understood by the
   intermediate beginner type of user.
     __________________________________________________

   CategoryUsers CategoryUsers

   last edited 2007-12-21 06:02:17 by donwarnersaklad

     * Immutable Page
     * Show Changes
     * Get Info
     * More Actions:
       [Show Raw Text......] Do

     * MoinMoin Powered
     * Python Powered
     * Valid HTML 4.01

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RMAIL
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _



_ _ _  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/RmailSpamFilter  _ _
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/RmailSpamFilter


   #EmacsWiki EmacsWiki: RmailSpamFilter

   [Home] SiteMap Search ElispArea HowTo RecentChanges News Problems
Suggestions

   _________________________ Search

RmailSpamFilter

   Spam filtering for Rmail is part of Emacs 22.
     * http://www.deas.harvard.edu/climate/eli/Downloads/rmail-spam-filter/

Contents

    1. Tips
         1. Automatically process X-Spam-Flag headers
         2. Spamassassin headers
    2. Questions

Tips

Automatically process X-Spam-Flag headers

    (setq rsf-definitions-alist
          '(((from . "") (to . "") (subject . "")
             (contents . "X-Spam-Flag: YES")
             (action . output-and-delete))))

Spamassassin headers

   For Rmail users where spamassassin headers appear on messages
already, here are hints,
   tips, pointers about how to filter...

   http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/antispam/overview.html - Personal Spam
Policies
                   Tag and    Cautious     Aggressive     No
Quarantine
                   Deliver
             ___________________________________________________
    Not Spam     | delivered  delivered    delivered      delivered
    Likely Spam  | delivered  quarantined  quarantined    delivered
    Certain Spam | delivered  quarantined  deleted        deleted
    Known Virus  | deleted    deleted      deleted        deleted

   http://www.math.uconn.edu/itresources/spam_filter.php - Filtering

Questions

   - What are the existing sorting commands in Rmail, in Emacs that
   can be used to sort SpamAssassin headers already on messages?...
  Dunno what you mean.

   - How do you set up a quarantine file for spam that can be checked
   later for any possible false positives?...
  Please see rsf-file (which is where spam can be stored). Just put
action to output-and-delete to use that feature.

   - How do you set a white list of favorite correspondents?... - don
warner saklad
  you have rsf-white-list for that.

   - Would there be any way to make it all more clear, step by step
   what to do and how to do it?... the explanations appear to be a
   level above the intermediate beginner level looked for here.

   See also http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RMAIL
 
_____________________________________________________________________________________

   CategoryMail
 
_____________________________________________________________________________________

   SiteMap Search ElispArea HowTo RecentChanges News Problems
Suggestions
   Edit this page View other revisions Administration
   Last edited 2007-12-21 06:04 UTC by
user-0c2imcl.cable.earthlink.net (diff)
   CC-GNU GPL
   This work is licensed to you under version 2 of the GNU General
   Public License.  Alternatively, you may choose to receive this work
   under any other license that grants the right to use, copy, modify,
   and/or distribute the work, as long as that license imposes the
   restriction that derivative works have to grant the same rights and
   impose the same restriction. For example, you may choose to receive
   this work under the GNU Free Documentation License, the
   CreativeCommons ShareAlike License, the XEmacs manual license, or
   similar licenses.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/RmailSpamFilter
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
0
the
12/21/2007 6:34:41 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
16919 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Please don't hurt yourself trying to attach a seatbelt to that
wheelbarrow.

Seriously, RMAIL is so out of date that it be discarded. The Babyl
format is insupportable by other tools, the constant generation of
RMAIL and RMAIL~ backup files is deadly to backup structures and file
IO for large mail spools, it only handle POP and not IMAP, it
mishandles separate mail folders, it doesn't handle multiple
attachments in messages, etc., etc., etc.

If you're seriously attached to the RMAIL interface, there are
published notes to use gnus or other Emacs compatible mail plugins to
remap the keys to behave like RMAIL, and provide you the benefits of
IMAP support and Maildir. You don't have to lose anything but the
difficulty of supporting RMAIL: I've walked people through this to
move a company from POP to IMAP, and it was a huge improvement.
0
Nico
12/21/2007 9:37:36 AM
On Dec 21, 4:37 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please don't hurt yourself trying to attach a seatbelt to that
> wheelbarrow.
>
> Seriously, RMAIL is so out of date that it be discarded. The Babyl
> format is insupportable by other tools, the constant generation of
> RMAIL and RMAIL~ backup files is deadly to backup structures and file
> IO for large mail spools, it only handle POP and not IMAP, it
> mishandles separate mail folders, it doesn't handle multiple
> attachments in messages, etc., etc., etc.
>
> If you're seriously attached to the RMAIL interface, there are
> published notes to use gnus or other Emacs compatible mail plugins to
> remap the keys to behave like RMAIL, and provide you the benefits of
> IMAP support and Maildir. You don't have to lose anything but the
> difficulty of supporting RMAIL: I've walked people through this to
> move a company from POP to IMAP, and it was a huge improvement.

Thank you Nico Kadel-Garcia!

Regrettably for an intermediate beginner learning how to do that is
problematical !
0
the
12/21/2007 11:54:28 AM
On 21 Dec, 11:54, the zak <don.sak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Nico Kadel-Garcia!
>
> Regrettably for an intermediate beginner learning how to do that is
> problematical !- Hide quoted text -

It will be much, much faster and stable in the long term than trying
to handcraft and maintain a set of spamassassin configurations for
potential RMAIL users. That way lies madness, I'm convinced from
painful experience.
0
Nico
12/21/2007 8:38:56 PM
> Please don't hurt yourself trying to attach a seatbelt to that
> wheelbarrow.
>
> Seriously, RMAIL is so out of date that it be discarded. The Babyl
> format is insupportable by other tools, the constant generation of
> RMAIL and RMAIL~ backup files is deadly to backup structures and file
> IO for large mail spools, it only handle POP and not IMAP, it
> mishandles separate mail folders, it doesn't handle multiple
> attachments in messages, etc., etc., etc.
>
> If you're seriously attached to the RMAIL interface, there are
> published notes to use gnus or other Emacs compatible mail plugins to
> remap the keys to behave like RMAIL, and provide you the benefits of
> IMAP support and Maildir. You don't have to lose anything but the
> difficulty of supporting RMAIL: I've walked people through this to
> move a company from POP to IMAP, and it was a huge improvement.

Programmers and sysadmins are always imprecise at the exact place
where five lines of code to be copied and executed would get the
user what he wants.  They are imprecise for more than one reason.
But one reason is, in part, a good reason: they do not know.
They know that they could produce the five lines and get them
executed, in twenty minutes of work on the system, but at the
moment they cannot type out these lines.  So they explain what
needs to be done.  This explanation would suffice, if the user
had the general expertise the sysadmin has.  Without this
background expertise, the explanation is of little direct use.
0
the
12/22/2007 4:21:06 AM
On 22 Dec, 04:21, the zak <don.sak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please don't hurt yourself trying to attach a seatbelt to that
> > wheelbarrow.
>
> > Seriously, RMAIL is so out of date that it be discarded. The Babyl
> > format is insupportable by other tools, the constant generation of
> > RMAIL and RMAIL~ backup files is deadly to backup structures and file
> > IO for large mail spools, it only handle POP and not IMAP, it
> > mishandles separate mail folders, it doesn't handle multiple
> > attachments in messages, etc., etc., etc.
>
> > If you're seriously attached to the RMAIL interface, there are
> > published notes to use gnus or other Emacs compatible mail plugins to
> > remap the keys to behave like RMAIL, and provide you the benefits of
> > IMAP support and Maildir. You don't have to lose anything but the
> > difficulty of supporting RMAIL: I've walked people through this to
> > move a company from POP to IMAP, and it was a huge improvement.
>
> Programmers and sysadmins are always imprecise at the exact place
> where five lines of code to be copied and executed would get the
> user what he wants. =A0They are imprecise for more than one reason.
> But one reason is, in part, a good reason: they do not know.
> They know that they could produce the five lines and get them
> executed, in twenty minutes of work on the system, but at the
> moment they cannot type out these lines. =A0So they explain what
> needs to be done. =A0This explanation would suffice, if the user
> had the general expertise the sysadmin has. =A0Without this
> background expertise, the explanation is of little direct use.- Hide quote=
d text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

What? No, I'm imprecise because my notes are back in the USA, in the
hands of the site I did this for last time. It wasn't a difficult
process. Would you like me to glance around and see if I can get those
notes?
0
Nico
12/22/2007 11:20:59 PM
On Dec 22, 6:20 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 Dec, 04:21, the zak <don.sak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > > Please don't hurt yourself trying to attach a seatbelt to that
> > > wheelbarrow.
>
> > > Seriously, RMAIL is so out of date that it be discarded. The Babyl
> > > format is insupportable by other tools, the constant generation of
> > > RMAIL and RMAIL~ backup files is deadly to backup structures and file
> > > IO for large mail spools, it only handle POP and not IMAP, it
> > > mishandles separate mail folders, it doesn't handle multiple
> > > attachments in messages, etc., etc., etc.
>
> > > If you're seriously attached to the RMAIL interface, there are
> > > published notes to use gnus or other Emacs compatible mail plugins to
> > > remap the keys to behave like RMAIL, and provide you the benefits of
> > > IMAP support and Maildir. You don't have to lose anything but the
> > > difficulty of supporting RMAIL: I've walked people through this to
> > > move a company from POP to IMAP, and it was a huge improvement.
>
> > Programmers and sysadmins are always imprecise at the exact place
> > where five lines of code to be copied and executed would get the
> > user what he wants.  They are imprecise for more than one reason.
> > But one reason is, in part, a good reason: they do not know.
> > They know that they could produce the five lines and get them
> > executed, in twenty minutes of work on the system, but at the
> > moment they cannot type out these lines.  So they explain what
> > needs to be done.  This explanation would suffice, if the user
> > had the general expertise the sysadmin has.  Without this
> > background expertise, the explanation is of little direct use.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> What? No, I'm imprecise because my notes are back in the USA, in the
> hands of the site I did this for last time. It wasn't a difficult
> process. Would you like me to glance around and see if I can get those
> notes?

If you would, please. It looks like it could be interesting.
0
the
12/23/2007 4:19:48 AM
Reply: