ypcat: can't get local yp domain: Local domain name not set

I am trying to set up an NIS Client after setting up an NIS Server on
another machine.  I have configured the domain name on the NIS Server
and configured the NIS Client's /etc/yp.conf file for the server
hostname method.  When I run ypcat on the NIS Client I get: can't get
local yp domain: Local domain name not set.  Where else was I supposed
to set up the domain name? What have I missed?

Thanks in advance,
Starr

0
starr
12/8/2006 4:42:40 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

starr.corbin@gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to set up an NIS Client after setting up an NIS Server on
> another machine.  I have configured the domain name on the NIS Server
> and configured the NIS Client's /etc/yp.conf file for the server
> hostname method.  When I run ypcat on the NIS Client I get: can't get
> local yp domain: Local domain name not set.  Where else was I supposed
> to set up the domain name? What have I missed?

Maybe you have firewalls running on either machine, not set up to
support NIS? What does "ypwhich" say?

0
Nico
12/9/2006 8:52:01 PM
starr.corbin@gmail.com <starr.corbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to set up an NIS Client after setting up an NIS Server on
> another machine.  I have configured the domain name on the NIS Server
> and configured the NIS Client's /etc/yp.conf file for the server
> hostname method.  When I run ypcat on the NIS Client I get: can't get
> local yp domain: Local domain name not set.  Where else was I supposed
> to set up the domain name? What have I missed?

Did you start ypbind on the client? It has to run on every client.

What is the output of "domainname". It should print the local NIS
Domainname. If the command prints "(none)" you could set it manually using
the domainname command. Setting it permanently depends on the distribution
you are using. For Fedora/RedHat you would create a file:

/etc/sysconfig/ypbind

with a single Line:

NISDOMAIN=...

of course specifying your correct local domainname. Or you could use
system-config-authentication to do the same.

Thomas Scheunemann
0
Thomas