How do I make a BLACK HOLE?

4NT  5.00A   Windows XP 5.1
4NT Build 125   Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 2

How can I make the returning value from @findclose function disappear, even
if there is no file (just return "")?

    function VolData=`%@findfirst[%1*]&echo %@findclose[%1]`
TEST CODE calling the function:
    echo (%@VolData[A:])
OUTPUT:

    (A:Time_23102004
    0)

I would like to have
    (A:Time_23102004)

Without the error code .

I tried 'piping' it to the NUL ie. echo %@findclose[%1]>NUL but as you may
guest the whole output when to the NUL.

What am I doing wrong?  Is these an ECHO command that does NUL type thing?

--
From _Christopher (M2M). RefCode:22DcdcTCDSfd V04
void DeadEnds() {for(;;);}      //    :)

0
_Christopher
10/21/2004 12:21:05 AM
comp.os.msdos.4dos 455 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:21:05 +0000 (UTC), "_Christopher\(M2M\)"
<cdhuk2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>4NT  5.00A   Windows XP 5.1
>4NT Build 125   Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 2
>
>How can I make the returning value from @findclose function disappear, even
>if there is no file (just return "")?
>
>    function VolData=`%@findfirst[%1*]&echo %@findclose[%1]`
>TEST CODE calling the function:
>    echo (%@VolData[A:])
>OUTPUT:
>
>    (A:Time_23102004
>    0)
>
>I would like to have
>    (A:Time_23102004)
>
>Without the error code .
>
>I tried 'piping' it to the NUL ie. echo %@findclose[%1]>NUL but as you may
>guest the whole output when to the NUL.
>
>What am I doing wrong?  Is these an ECHO command that does NUL type thing?

I would strongly recommend that you avoid using commands, redirections
and so on in a function definition if at all possible.

   function VolData=`%@findfirst[%1*.*]%@left[0,%@findclose[]]`

appears to work in 4NT 6.01.226 -- I have not tried it in v5.  Test,
don't trust!

--
Charles Dye     raster@highfiber.com

0
Charles
10/21/2004 5:36:32 PM
"_Christopher(M2M)" wrote:

.... snip ...

> How can I make the returning value from @findclose function
> disappear, even if there is no file (just return "")?

I don't know about your particular situation, but in general black
hole creation requires the presence of a space-time singularity.
The prime source of these is Microsoft software.

--
 "I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"
 "Any baby snookums can be a Yankee fan, it takes real moral

0
CBFalconer