sys/socket.h & netdb.h No such file or directory

I installed djgpp on my ms-dos machine and its ok when running hello
world
or some kernel sources but i couldn't compile client server programs
'cause they need to include sys/socket.h and other networking
libraries.
i dwonloaded all the zip files come with the package but still it
gives me
this error. how can i compile these programs.

in fact i have compiled and run my code with gcc under linux...:(
0
smarto59 (36)
7/15/2004 11:41:04 PM
comp.os.msdos.djgpp 3308 articles. 2 followers. tigrepotrazosalvaje (34) is leader. Post Follow

smarto59@hotmail.com wrote:
> I installed djgpp on my ms-dos machine and its ok when running hello
> world
> or some kernel sources but i couldn't compile client server programs
> 'cause they need to include sys/socket.h and other networking
> libraries.

Of course you couldn't: DOS isn't, all by itself, a networking-enabled
operating system, so you shouldn't expect compilers targetting it
to come with networking libraries and headers --- those have to be
supplied by separate programs.

> i dwonloaded all the zip files come with the package

Why on earth would you do that rather than just looking up what these
packages are supposed to do, in the index files that come in the same
directories?

Hint: the packages you're looking after will have words like
'networking', 'sockets', or 'TCP' in their names.

-1
broeker (2903)
7/16/2004 11:57:14 AM
> libraries.  i dwonloaded all the zip files come with the package but
> still it gives me this error. how can i compile these programs.

Get the WATTCP library (www.wattcp.com).  It's free and should do the
task, if you don't need PPP (ie. modem dial-up and such).

> in fact i have compiled and run my code with gcc under linux...:(

So why the sad look then?  Doing the networking in Linux is far better
idea than do it in DOS.  If that's the option, I would switch to Linux
immediately.

--
Egon Eckert, Heaven Industries, s.r.o.
E-mail: egon@heaven.industries.cz

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous
0
egon1 (15)