com.sys and usbser.sys question

I got a question, for those knowing more about that matter than myself,
which shouldn't be hard ;-)

Temporarily having 2 phone lines at my disposal, I wanted to put my old
modem back to use as a phone number dialer, using the BonusPack PIM
Phonebook application.
But I had quite some trouble to get my COM1 port to work at all with any
comm application.

It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS,
since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed. Now, in the order
shown below, it assigns itself to COM6 (if not remed out), but COM1 still
doesn't work for those comm apps (PIM Phonebook, HALite, etc).

DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS /V /N:COM5
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (3,3E8,4) (4,2E8,3) /V
	rem	DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBSER.SYS /V  	blockiert Com1
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\USBAUDIO.SYS

But at least now I got all 4 COM ports listed again in the 3rd tab (Output
something) of printer objects, rather than as before, only COM2-4, but
still no trace of COM6 by USBSER.SYS.

The question now is, how exactly is USBSER.SYS supposed to work?

Does it always have to prevent any comm app from using f.e. a modem
connected to COM1, so that you only either can have a traditional serial
modem working on this port with USBSER.SYS remed out in Config.sys, or a
USB2Ser adapter, which then *always* seems to default to COM1, rather than
f.e. COM6 or COM7?

Am I missing here something, are there still other options?

Now I'm curiously waiting for answers ;-)

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/1/2004 9:56:08 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Wolfi wrote:

> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS,
> since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.

On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
numbers.

Ciao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/2/2004 6:43:00 PM
Daniela Engert wrote:
> Wolfi wrote:
>
>> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before
>> USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.
>

> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
> numbers.

Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four of
them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA card.

Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?
As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up in
the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.

Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
Bldlevel says:
@#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/2/2004 7:58:19 PM
Wolfi wrote:
> Daniela Engert wrote:
>
>> Wolfi wrote:
>>
>>> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before
>>> USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.
>>

>> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
>> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
>> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
>> numbers.
>>
> Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four
> of them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA card.
>
> Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?

They do. I've tested it with two instances of ZOC, one running on COM1:
(16550 UART), the other running on COM3: (FTDI FT8U232B
USB-to-serial-adapter), moving data at 115kBaud between both ports.
Tests with a Kobil HBCI card reader were fine on both ports, too.

> As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up in
> the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.
>
> Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
> Bldlevel says:
> @#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Well, mine reads:
@#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Ciao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/3/2004 6:39:14 PM
Daniela Engert wrote:
> Wolfi wrote:
>
>> Daniela Engert wrote:

>>> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
>>> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
>>> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM
>>> port numbers.
>>>
>> Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four
>> of them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA
>> card.
>>
>> Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?
>

> They do. I've tested it with two instances of ZOC, one running on COM1:
> (16550 UART), the other running on COM3: (FTDI FT8U232B
> USB-to-serial-adapter), moving data at 115kBaud between both ports.
> Tests with a Kobil HBCI card reader were fine on both ports, too.
>
>> As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up
>> in the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.
>>
>> Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
>> Bldlevel says:
>> @#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver
>

> Well, mine reads:
> @#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Aha, that's a fine, but most likely very important detail, I guess ;-)
Hence your remark about "in accordance to the sources where ..." :-)

But it doesn't seem to be publicly available on Hobbes yet, so is it still
in private evaluation phase?

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/3/2004 9:17:03 PM
Wolfi wrote:
>> Well, mine reads:
>> @#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver
>

> Aha, that's a fine, but most likely very important detail, I guess ;-)

I have no idea if this is the case because I didn't change this
particular part of the driver sources. And I don't have an idea how
these non-public sources are related to the latest public USBSER.SYS
from IBM.

> But it doesn't seem to be publicly available on Hobbes yet, so is it
> still in private evaluation phase?

I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
kinds of PC related problems.

My fixes and additions to USBSER are in the hands of the original
developers.

CIao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/4/2004 5:05:50 PM
In article <cmdnhc$npo$1@news1.nefonline.de>
	   dani%ngrt.de@nospam.de "Daniela Engert" writes:

> I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
> time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
> invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
> kinds of PC related problems.

Maybe you should include a firmly worded note in a README to the
effect that you do not discuss general problems?  That would not
prevent you _choosing_ to talk with people... on your own terms.
(I realise some people are incredibly stupid; and some will take
offence even when you have been doing them a kindness by writing
this software; but those you are entitled to ignore, IMHO.)

Or you could offer to charge them for your time.  At school, when
transistor radios with teensy push-in earphones were very much in
fashion, I got a reputation as someone who could and would repair
earphones and their leads.  Some folk began to abuse my goodwill.
Then I began to make a small charge.  It was amazing how rapidly
people began to solve their own problems.
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames
11/4/2004 5:29:24 PM
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 Daniela Engert wrote:

> I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
> time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
> invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
> kinds of PC related problems.

Remove the e-mail address and set up an 0900 line for a voice computer with
a very, very deep structure.  Of course, the words should be recorded by a
non-native speaker with a horrible accent. >;->

   /Olli/
--
WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

0
oliver
11/4/2004 9:18:11 PM
Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:05:50 +0100 received comm from
Daniela Engert <dani%ngrt.de@nospam.de> on channel comp.os.os2.misc:

:
: I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
: time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
: invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
: kinds of PC related problems.

Upload them with a brief description on how to install and use them. Explain
that you don't have any time or resources to give any support. Give references
to Usenet or other user supported forums who might help users help themsleves
solving problems. Don't publish your email address or any other type of contact
details. I think people will understand how "use at your own risk, no support or
guarantee given" software works, and that they will be happy that they at least
can be able to enjoy your work.

Best regards,

martin t�rnsten

--