Creating a new partition on NTFS 1-partition disk

Just to let people who missed the news know this: one can now shrink
NTFS partition without any fuss and without buying an otherwise
useless piece of software.  The price: downloading a 100M file and
burning a CD.  Keyword: System Rescue CD.  Checked already on my
friends disk.

Another hint: it + WinXP installer + Recovery console + XP Sp1a fits
nicely into one CD...  (Do not know whether this may be useful; I did
it since there is an XP partition sitting on the laptop somewhere, and
it might happen I will need to run it, and it might happen it goes
broke...)

Yours,
Ilya
0
Ilya
5/14/2004 11:26:51 PM
comp.os.os2.setup.misc 727 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Sir:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> Just to let people who missed the news know this: one can now shrink
> NTFS partition without any fuss and without buying an otherwise
> useless piece of software.  The price: downloading a 100M file and
> burning a CD.  Keyword: System Rescue CD.  Checked already on my
> friends disk.
>
> Another hint: it + WinXP installer + Recovery console + XP Sp1a fits
> nicely into one CD...  (Do not know whether this may be useful; I did
> it since there is an XP partition sitting on the laptop somewhere, and
> it might happen I will need to run it, and it might happen it goes
> broke...)

URI pointer?
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
<wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rKTxZ$1b3@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
> > Just to let people who missed the news know this: one can now shrink
> > NTFS partition without any fuss and without buying an otherwise
> > useless piece of software.  The price: downloading a 100M file and
> > burning a CD.

> >  Keyword: System Rescue CD.

> URI pointer?

google.com

Ilya
0
Ilya
5/16/2004 7:27:48 AM
Sir:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> William L. Hartzell
> <wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rKTxZ$1b3@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
>
>>>Just to let people who missed the news know this: one can now shrink
>>>NTFS partition without any fuss and without buying an otherwise
>>>useless piece of software.  The price: downloading a 100M file and
>>>burning a CD.
>

>>> Keyword: System Rescue CD.
>

>>URI pointer?
>

> google.com

AH! Linux tools and Linux CD rescue disk.  No thanks.  Don't think Unix.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
<wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rFPC4$1bA@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:

> AH! Linux tools and Linux CD rescue disk.  No thanks.  Don't think Unix.

???!  It is an application.  How would the fact that it uses some
particular set of APIs would affect your thinking?

Puzzled,
Ilya
0
Ilya
5/17/2004 12:54:35 AM
Sir:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> William L. Hartzell

>>AH! Linux tools and Linux CD rescue disk.  No thanks.  Don't think Unix.
>

> ???!  It is an application.  How would the fact that it uses some
> particular set of APIs would affect your thinking?

The tools are not what I would expect to use on OS/2.  That is one
learning curve that I don't want to climb at this time.  Now if someone
could come up with OS/2 like tools, then that would be different.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
<wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rLqhM$1bI@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
> > ???!  It is an application.  How would the fact that it uses some
> > particular set of APIs would affect your thinking?

> The tools are not what I would expect to use on OS/2.  That is one
> learning curve that I don't want to climb at this time.  Now if someone
> could come up with OS/2 like tools, then that would be different.

What you wrote does not make any sense.  If somebody rewrites it to
use OS/2 API, the UI (and the whole 30 sec of the learning curve - the
instructions take 4 lines ;-) is still going to be the same.

Hope this helps,
Ilya
0
Ilya
5/17/2004 10:04:16 PM
Sir:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> William L. Hartzell
> <wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rLqhM$1bI@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
>
>>>???!  It is an application.  How would the fact that it uses some
>>>particular set of APIs would affect your thinking?
>

>>The tools are not what I would expect to use on OS/2.  That is one
>>learning curve that I don't want to climb at this time.  Now if someone
>>could come up with OS/2 like tools, then that would be different.
>

> What you wrote does not make any sense.  If somebody rewrites it to
> use OS/2 API, the UI (and the whole 30 sec of the learning curve - the
> instructions take 4 lines ;-) is still going to be the same.

It is the look an feel, not the underlying API that matters.  I don't
think any Linux application will ever get them without a port of the PM.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
<wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rMHxB$1bN@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
> > What you wrote does not make any sense.  If somebody rewrites it to
> > use OS/2 API, the UI (and the whole 30 sec of the learning curve - the
> > instructions take 4 lines ;-) is still going to be the same.
>
> It is the look an feel, not the underlying API that matters.  I don't
> think any Linux application will ever get them without a port of the PM.

You are going to shrink a partition when running a PM?!  What else,
maybe you would prefer also to run WPS, and show you the drive icon
for your disk?

(From a person who never used FDISKPM, ;-)
Ilya
0
Ilya
5/18/2004 8:20:07 AM
Sir:

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> William L. Hartzell
> <wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote in article <c1.2b5.2rMHxB$1bN@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>:
>
>>>What you wrote does not make any sense.  If somebody rewrites it to
>>>use OS/2 API, the UI (and the whole 30 sec of the learning curve - the
>>>instructions take 4 lines ;-) is still going to be the same.
>>
>>It is the look an feel, not the underlying API that matters.  I don't
>>think any Linux application will ever get them without a port of the PM.
>

> You are going to shrink a partition when running a PM?!  What else,
> maybe you would prefer also to run WPS, and show you the drive icon
> for your disk?
>
> (From a person who never used FDISKPM, ;-)

That would be nice.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

><wlhartzell@comcast.net>], who wrote
>
>> It is the look an feel, not the underlying API that matters.  I don't
>> think any Linux application will ever get them without a port of the PM.
>
>You are going to shrink a partition when running a PM?!

I used to use the OS/2 version of Partition Magic to do that from time
to time.  Not on the OS/2 boot drive itself, of course.  :-)

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.