  From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]
  Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 7:06 PM
  To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com
  Subject: Re: Dave Cutler and VMS

  Steve Lionel wrote:
  > >http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=97&ArticleID=4494

  > Cutler left VMS in 1980 before version 2.0 was released, and
  was not further
  > involved with the VMS OS development.

  That article alludes to the fact that Cutler left Digital at VMS
  5.0, making
  it look to the microsoft weenies that Cutler was still involved with VMS.

  ---
  Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

tom284 (1839)
5/21/2004 5:23:14 AM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> writes:

> We licensed PL/I and the underlying compiler technology to digital
> in January 1978, Cutler had a team that set about to build the code
> generator, vcg, I think it took them about three years, I reviewed
> their book before publication in spring of 1982.  So I am not sure,
> but I don't think Dave had a lot to do with VMS after early 1978.

See "Engineering a Compiler" (I think) from DP. Be sure to read
Beauty and the Beast.

The objects for VCG are in the SCAN freeware stuff, be nice if it was
also freewared, for historical reference if nothing else.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.
In article <87vfippuft.fsf@prep.synonet.com>, Paul Repacholi <prep@prep.synonet.com> writes:
:The objects for VCG are in the SCAN freeware stuff, be nice if it was
:also freewared, for historical reference if nothing else.

  I am presently aware of no plans to make the VAX Code Generator (VCG)
  back-end available in source code format, whether as part of a future
  OpenVMS Freeware distribution or otherwise.

  VCG remains in use within most current/recent OpenVMS VAX compilers.

  OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 compilers will typically use the GEM
  code generator, and not VCG.

 ---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
 --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
        Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman   OpenVMS Engineering   hoff[at]hp.com

0
hoff (611)
5/21/2004 6:21:02 PM
On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:21:02 UTC, hoff@hp.nospam (Hoff Hoffman) wrote:

>   VCG remains in use within most current/recent OpenVMS VAX compilers.
>
>   OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64 compilers will typically use the GEM
>   code generator, and not VCG.

So his presence is still felt in VAX/VMS :-)

--
Cheers - Dave.
0