Re: OT - running IE in Windows (was:Re: Thoughts on the book: DEC is dead, long live DEC) is dead, long live DEC) is dead, long live DEC)

On 9/1/06, Hoff Hoffman <hoff-remove-this@hp.com> wrote:
> bradhamilton wrote:
>
> > "Strawman" - it *is* easy to "remove" IE:
> >
> > - Run any number of other browsers besides IE.
> >
> > - It's easy to remove all IE shortcuts and icons from the desktop and
> > menu bars, and to change browser preferences, such that the only way to
> > run IE is to hunt it down and deliberately let it kill your system.    :-)
>
>    Microsoft embedded IE all through Windows -- what started out as an add-on
> product became entrenched throughout the operating system.  Fully removing it is
> not easy.
>
>    I regularly use other web browsers -- once you've used Firefox and other such
> newer browsers, the age of IE6 tends to show  -- but there are still IE-related
> vulnerabilities around, and parts of Windows certainly still seem to be using IE
> for various tasks.  (I should go try Windows Update, and see if I can get that
> to run without using IE.)  IE7 looks to improve a number of the features and
> capabilities over IE6, and it fixes various of the CSS and related bugs.  (Donno
> if the box model bugs got fixed -- some parsing bugs got fixed, which meant the
> workarounds for the box model bugs started to fail.)

For those who are interested in IE-free Windows, there's a guy named
Fred Vorck who devotes a website to how to do so, plus slipstreaming
service packs and hotfixes into an installation CD.

http://www.vorck.com

WWWebb
--
I'm no longer job-hunting, folks.

Thanks to all those who expressed concern and sent me possibilities to
investigate.
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <8660a3a10609011238n6dad4fa3xd9508ba7828788f3@mail.gmail.com>, "William Webb" <william.w.webb@gmail.com> writes:

> For those who are interested in IE-free Windows, there's a guy named
> Fred Vorck who devotes a website to how to do so, plus slipstreaming
> service packs and hotfixes into an installation CD.
>
> http://www.vorck.com

   Nice website, esp. the no-IE and FireFox eats-IE-graphics.  Bit he
   seems to limit himself to W2K, and his link to a fellow who does
   XP doens't work.

0
koehler2 (8314)