Time server protocole?

Helli Everybodo,

Where could I find a description of the Time Server protocole?
I would like to synch my VMS box, which is slowly going to production
land (today: WASD mirror, tomorrow: OpenOffice mirror, then...)

Thanks,

D.
--
          Read the latest VAX/VMS to Itanium Migration News
       English: www.didiermorandi.com/vaxvms2itanium_200310.pdf

didier morandi  ~ sarl au capital de 8 000 euros ~  Revendeur agr�� HP
     Expertise en environnement DIGITAL ~ Formation ~ Programmation
   5 avenue Albert Durand 31700 Blagnac France T�l: 33(0)5 6131 6287
   SIRET 448 694 851 00016 RCS Toulouse http://www.didiermorandi.com

0
no18 (4537)
10/24/2003 7:14:30 AM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Didier Morandi wrote:
> Where could I find a description of the Time Server protocole?
> I would like to synch my VMS box, which is slowly going to production
> land (today: WASD mirror, tomorrow: OpenOffice mirror, then...)

If you'd like to pick NTP for time sync: http://www.ntp.org/

cu,
  Martin
--
  OpenVMS:                | Martin Vorlaender  |  VMS & WNT programmer
   The operating system   | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

0
mv (279)
10/24/2003 10:38:10 AM
Didier Morandi wrote:
> Helli Everybodo,
>
> Where could I find a description of the Time Server protocole?
> I would like to synch my VMS box, which is slowly going to production
> land (today: WASD mirror, tomorrow: OpenOffice mirror, then...)
>
> Thanks,
>
> D.
If you want to sync your VMS box, then there are three ways to do so.

1. connect a supported time receiver to a serial port of your system. This radio
receiver will use a precise time signal from a powerfull transmitter and your
VAX can sync its clock on that signal. (DCF77 is a well known German time
provider with a transmitter in Frankfurt. But there is also a French station).
If you do this your system can also act as a timeprovider for NTP and DTSS.

2. Use NTP from the TCPIP stack to sync your system with a timeprovider on the
Internet (or intranet).

3. Use DTSS, but that will only work in a DECnet Phase V network with a
timeprovider as described in 1.

0
munk (482)
10/24/2003 10:46:45 AM
Martin Vorlaender wrote:
> Didier Morandi wrote:
>
>>Where could I find a description of the Time Server protocole?
>>I would like to synch my VMS box, which is slowly going to production
>>land (today: WASD mirror, tomorrow: OpenOffice mirror, then...)
>

> If you'd like to pick NTP for time sync: http://www.ntp.org/
>
> cu,
>   Martin

Didier: What stack are you using? Setting up NTP on a TCPIP V5.3 is fairly
immediate - enable and start in TCPIP$CONFIG, copy a template file to *.CONF and
edit -  if you have connectivity to a NTP server (i.e. is your firewall open on
port 123?)

--
New to Usenet? read http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~rechtman/post_hlp.htm
Usual disclaimer: All opinions are mine alone, perhaps not even that.

rechtman (20)
10/24/2003 10:50:22 AM
Mike Rechtman wrote:

> Didier: What stack are you using? Setting up NTP on a TCPIP V5.3 is
> fairly immediate - enable and start in TCPIP$CONFIG, copy a template
> file to *.CONF and edit -  if you have connectivity to a NTP server
> (i.e. is your firewall open on port 123?)

I tell you, one post, three answers, two pages of RTFM, a few DCL commands and
you know the first name of my uncle. VMS, I love you.

BUT !...

DTL02> ty SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP_RUN.LOG
24 Oct 14:39:55  ntpd version = 3-5.91
24 Oct 14:39:55  tickadj = 97, tick = 976, tvu_maxslew = 99231, est. hz = 1024
24 Oct 14:39:55  precision = 976 usec
24 Oct 14:39:55  drift file 'SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT' does not e
xist: no such file or directory
24 Oct 14:39:55  will attempt to create drift file
24 Oct 14:39:55  read drift of 0 from SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT
24 Oct 14:44:48  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
24 Oct 14:44:49  time reset (slew) 90.183853 sec
24 Oct 14:44:49  synchronization lost
24 Oct 14:44:51  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.008198 sec
24 Oct 14:44:52  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003611 sec
24 Oct 14:44:53  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:44:54  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003318 sec
.../..
(many lines ommited)

Where is the HOWTO???????

D.

0
no18 (4537)
10/24/2003 12:52:01 PM
Didier Morandi wrote:
> Mike Rechtman wrote:
>
>> Didier: What stack are you using? Setting up NTP on a TCPIP V5.3 is
>> fairly immediate - enable and start in TCPIP$CONFIG, copy a template
>> file to *.CONF and edit -  if you have connectivity to a NTP server
>> (i.e. is your firewall open on port 123?)
>

> I tell you, one post, three answers, two pages of RTFM, a few DCL
> commands and you know the first name of my uncle. VMS, I love you.
>
> BUT !...
>
> DTL02> ty SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP_RUN.LOG
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  ntpd version = 3-5.91
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  tickadj = 97, tick = 976, tvu_maxslew = 99231, est. hz
> = 1024
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  precision = 976 usec
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  drift file 'SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT'
> does not e
> xist: no such file or directory
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  will attempt to create drift file
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  read drift of 0 from
> SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT
> 24 Oct 14:44:48  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
> 24 Oct 14:44:49  time reset (slew) 90.183853 sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:49  synchronization lost
> 24 Oct 14:44:51  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.008198 sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:52  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003611 sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:53  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:54  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003318 sec
> ../..
> (many lines ommited)
>
> Where is the HOWTO???????
>
> D.

See:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6526/6526pro_023.html

--
New to Usenet? read http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~rechtman/post_hlp.htm
Usual disclaimer: All opinions are mine alone, perhaps not even that.
Mike Rechtman                                 *rechtman@tzora.co.il*
   "20% of a job takes 80% of the time, the rest takes another 80%"

rechtman (20)
10/24/2003 1:02:18 PM
Mike Rechtman wrote:

> See:
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6526/6526pro_023.html

:-(

(where is my RTFM HOWTO ? :-)

D.

0
no18 (4537)
10/24/2003 1:23:25 PM
"Didier Morandi" <no@spam.com> schreef in bericht
> Mike Rechtman wrote:
>
> > Didier: What stack are you using? Setting up NTP on a TCPIP V5.3 is
> > fairly immediate - enable and start in TCPIP$CONFIG, copy a template
> > file to *.CONF and edit -  if you have connectivity to a NTP server
> > (i.e. is your firewall open on port 123?)
>
> I tell you, one post, three answers, two pages of RTFM, a few DCL commands
and
> you know the first name of my uncle. VMS, I love you.
>
> BUT !...
>
> DTL02> ty SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP_RUN.LOG
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  ntpd version = 3-5.91
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  tickadj = 97, tick = 976, tvu_maxslew = 99231, est. hz =
1024
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  precision = 976 usec
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  drift file 'SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT' does
not e
> xist: no such file or directory
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  will attempt to create drift file
> 24 Oct 14:39:55  read drift of 0 from
SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT
> 24 Oct 14:44:48  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
> 24 Oct 14:44:49  time reset (slew) 90.183853 sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:49  synchronization lost
> 24 Oct 14:44:51  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.008198
sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:52  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003611
sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:53  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513
sec
> 24 Oct 14:44:54  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003318
sec
> ../..
> (many lines ommited)
>
> Where is the HOWTO???????
>
> D.

The log seems quite alright. Last week I started to use NTP too and got the
same kind of log file. But the systems stay in sync with the configured
servers. One NTP server is in the Netherlands (near by) the other in
Slovenia (it runs on an Alpha).
BTW if you search for Alpha on the stratum 1 servers you'll find that
Microsoft runs its own NTP server. On an Alpha under Tru64 :-)

Hans

"Dirk Munk" <munk@home.nl> schreef in bericht
> Didier Morandi wrote:
> > Helli Everybodo,
> >

> 1. connect a supported time receiver to a serial port of your system. This
radio
> receiver will use a precise time signal from a powerfull transmitter and
your
> VAX can sync its clock on that signal. (DCF77 is a well known German time
> provider with a transmitter in Frankfurt. But there is also a French
station).
> If you do this your system can also act as a timeprovider for NTP and
DTSS.

Dirk,

could you elaborate on this option? What kind of equipment do you need to
run your own stratum 1 server?

Hans

"H Vlems" a pens� tr�s fort :
> "Dirk Munk" <munk@home.nl> schreef in bericht
>> Didier Morandi wrote:
>>> Helli Everybodo,
>>>

>> 1. connect a supported time receiver to a serial port of your system. This
>> radio receiver will use a precise time signal from a powerfull transmitter
>> and your VAX can sync its clock on that signal. (DCF77 is a well known
>> German time provider with a transmitter in Frankfurt. But there is also a
>> French station). If you do this your system can also act as a timeprovider
>> for NTP and DTSS.
>>
> Dirk,
>
> could you elaborate on this option? What kind of equipment do you need to
> run your own stratum 1 server?
>
> Hans

A radio clock receiver with a serial port (made by many manufacturers)
and a small program (I once made one in Pascal that I could retrieve
if you're interested) to read the port (serial port on a LAT or TELNET
terminal server is OK) and feed the time to DTSS so that it acts as
a DTSS time provider. Took me a week to do it, including the program,
altough I didn't write any code (other than DCL) in the 10 previous
years.

Marc.

--
Marc Van Dyck

H Vlems wrote:
> "Dirk Munk" <munk@home.nl> schreef in bericht
>
>>Didier Morandi wrote:
>>
>>>Helli Everybodo,
>>>

>>1. connect a supported time receiver to a serial port of your system. This
>
> radio
>
>>receiver will use a precise time signal from a powerfull transmitter and
>
> your
>
>>VAX can sync its clock on that signal. (DCF77 is a well known German time
>>provider with a transmitter in Frankfurt. But there is also a French
>
> station).
>
>>If you do this your system can also act as a timeprovider for NTP and
>
> DTSS.
>
> Dirk,
>
> could you elaborate on this option? What kind of equipment do you need to
> run your own stratum 1 server?
>
> Hans

Good question.
Appendix B of the DECnet-Plus DECdts Management Guide has a listing of these
receivers. It also claims that there should be a DTSS$provider_acts.c example
program in sys$common:[syshelp.examples.dtss].

However I can't find the file or the directory. A long time ago it was there.
I'm sure about that because I used this source to build a executable for a Hopf
Clock connected to a serial port of my VAX workstation.

Five receivers are mentioned in this manual, but since the manual dates from
1996 it is questionable if any of those receivers are still on the market.

0
munk (482)
10/24/2003 9:40:52 PM
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dirk Munk wrote:

> H Vlems wrote:
> > "Dirk Munk" <munk@home.nl> schreef in bericht

> >>1. connect a supported time receiver to a serial port of your system. This
> >
> > radio
> >
> >>receiver will use a precise time signal from a powerfull transmitter and
> >
> > your
> >
> >>VAX can sync its clock on that signal. (DCF77 is a well known German time
> >>provider with a transmitter in Frankfurt. But there is also a French
> >
> > station).
> >
> >>If you do this your system can also act as a timeprovider for NTP and
> >
> > DTSS.
> >
> > Dirk,
> >
> > could you elaborate on this option? What kind of equipment do you need to
> > run your own stratum 1 server?
> >
> > Hans
> >
> Good question.
> Appendix B of the DECnet-Plus DECdts Management Guide has a listing of these
> receivers. It also claims that there should be a DTSS$provider_acts.c example
> program in sys$common:[syshelp.examples.dtss].

??? sys$common:[syshlp.examples.dtss]

(No "e" in syshlp...)

It's on my system.  V7.3-1.

> However I can't find the file or the directory. A long time ago it was there.
> I'm sure about that because I used this source to build a executable for a Hopf
> Clock connected to a serial port of my VAX workstation.
>
> Five receivers are mentioned in this manual, but since the manual dates from
> 1996 it is questionable if any of those receivers are still on the market.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

0
John
10/24/2003 10:27:53 PM
In article <1031024182601.403B-100000@Ives.egh.com>, John Santos <JOHN@egh.com> writes:
:On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dirk Munk wrote:
:
:> H Vlems wrote:

  I am not sure who wrote what here, but...

:> Appendix B of the DECnet-Plus DECdts Management Guide has a listing of these
:> receivers. It also claims that there should be a DTSS$provider_acts.c example
:> program in sys$common:[syshelp.examples.dtss].
:
:??? sys$common:[syshlp.examples.dtss]
:
:(No "e" in syshlp...)
:
:It's on my system.  V7.3-1.

  Please take the time to acquire and to read the OpenVMS FAQ.

  This particular DTSS$NTP_PROVIDER.C module is very specifically called
  out in the FAQ, as its availability is version-specific.

  Details on general OpenVMS time-keeping, time servers, daylight savings
  time (DST), the tool to switch between standard time and daylight time,
  version-specific TDF issues, etc., are all discussed and/or otherwise
  referenced within the OpenVMS FAQ.  URL references are included.

    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq/

 ---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
 --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
        Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman   OpenVMS Engineering   hoff[at]hp.com

0
hoffman7 (15)
10/24/2003 11:32:08 PM
Didier Morandi <no@spam.com> writes...
}
[...]
}.../..
}(many lines ommited)
}
}Where is the HOWTO???????
}
}D.

I would guess that the variation in timing in talking to the server is
larger than is optimal (perhaps an overloaded branch of the internet
between you and it). This could cause many more adjustments to be
attempted than are really needed.

You might have better luck just by picking a different server. You can
probably specify multiple servers in your configuration file, in which
case it will measure delays and the degree of randomness in the delays
for each server and pick the best server to use (the system I use as a
local server switches between the systems it uses as servers a few
times per day, usually).

I'm using Multinet's XNTP rather than the one from TCPIP Services. Since
the 4th of June (the start of the current log) it has logged a total of
145 messages on this node, 174 on another (both client only), and 693
on the node is use as a local server for a few systems which gets its
time from servers that are just a couple of network hops away. This is
clearly much less than you are getting. A message per second is just
rediculous.

There may be parameters you can set in the configuration file to improve
the situation.

It is also possible that your system's clock drifts a lot.

A possibility... Does the message rate slow down when you log off? There
used to be a problem (fixed by an ECO, the Graphics V5 ECO on VMS V7.2-1)
that caused the ELSA Gloria Synergy cards to induce clock drift when it
was in use. Are you using that card? Before I applied the ECO to fix it,
I would get a lot of messages - I think it was a dozen or so messages
per hour when I was logged in but not doing much, and a few per minute
when doing things that updated the display a lot.

--- Carl
0
carl110 (26)
10/25/2003 1:16:00 AM
Hoff Hoffman wrote:
> In article <1031024182601.403B-100000@Ives.egh.com>, John Santos <JOHN@egh.com> writes:
> :On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dirk Munk wrote:
> :
> :> H Vlems wrote:
> ..
>

>   I am not sure who wrote what here, but...
>

> :> Appendix B of the DECnet-Plus DECdts Management Guide has a listing of these
> :> receivers. It also claims that there should be a DTSS$provider_acts.c example
> :> program in sys$common:[syshelp.examples.dtss].
> :
> :??? sys$common:[syshlp.examples.dtss]
> :
> :(No "e" in syshlp...)
> :
> :It's on my system.  V7.3-1.
>

>   Please take the time to acquire and to read the OpenVMS FAQ.
>
>   This particular DTSS$NTP_PROVIDER.C module is very specifically called
>   out in the FAQ, as its availability is version-specific.

Thanks Hoff, but we were looking at DTSS$PROVIDER.C , not DTSS$NTP_PROVIDER.C .
DTSS$PROVIDER.C is/was a program that could use the input of a radio clock to
set the time. The clock would be connected to a serial port. However I know it
was not year 2000 proof (it used 1900 in its calculations).

It would be nice to have such a program again, with some fitting radio clocks.

>   Details on general OpenVMS time-keeping, time servers, daylight savings
>   time (DST), the tool to switch between standard time and daylight time,
>   version-specific TDF issues, etc., are all discussed and/or otherwise
>   referenced within the OpenVMS FAQ.  URL references are included.
>
>     http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq/
>

>  ---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
>     For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
>  --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
>         Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman   OpenVMS Engineering   hoff[at]hp.com

0
munk (482)
10/25/2003 8:04:09 AM
Carl Perkins wrote:

> I would guess that the variation in timing in talking to the server is
> larger than is optimal (perhaps an overloaded branch of the internet
> between you and it). This could cause many more adjustments to be
> attempted than are really needed.
>
> You might have better luck just by picking a different server. You can
> probably specify multiple servers in your configuration file, in which
> case it will measure delays and the degree of randomness in the delays
> for each server and pick the best server to use (the system I use as a
> local server switches between the systems it uses as servers a few
> times per day, usually).
>
> I'm using Multinet's XNTP rather than the one from TCPIP Services. Since
> the 4th of June (the start of the current log) it has logged a total of
> 145 messages on this node, 174 on another (both client only), and 693
> on the node is use as a local server for a few systems which gets its
> time from servers that are just a couple of network hops away. This is
> clearly much less than you are getting. A message per second is just
> rediculous.
>
> There may be parameters you can set in the configuration file to improve
> the situation.
>
> It is also possible that your system's clock drifts a lot.
>
> A possibility... Does the message rate slow down when you log off? There
> used to be a problem (fixed by an ECO, the Graphics V5 ECO on VMS V7.2-1)
> that caused the ELSA Gloria Synergy cards to induce clock drift when it
> was in use. Are you using that card? Before I applied the ECO to fix it,
> I would get a lot of messages - I think it was a dozen or so messages
> per hour when I was logged in but not doing much, and a few per minute
> when doing things that updated the display a lot.

Well, seems that it's going fine now. After the first synch, I get hourly
updates without errors:

[...]
24 Oct 14:44:55  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:44:56  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:44:57  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003318 sec
24 Oct 14:44:58  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:44:58  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.094476 sec
24 Oct 14:44:59  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003220 sec
24 Oct 14:45:00  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:01  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:45:02  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:03  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:04  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:45:05  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:06  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:45:08  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:09  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003416 sec
24 Oct 14:45:10  Previous time adjustment incomplete; residual 0.003513 sec
24 Oct 14:50:09  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
24 Oct 15:40:00  offset: 0.002573 sec  freq: 1.969 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 16:40:03  offset: 0.008978 sec  freq: 3.739 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 17:40:06  offset: 0.008433 sec  freq: 5.600 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 18:40:08  offset: 0.005534 sec  freq: 7.045 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 19:40:10  offset: 0.003100 sec  freq: 8.104 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 20:40:14  offset: 0.003135 sec  freq: 8.906 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 21:40:19  offset: 0.001070 sec  freq: 9.511 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 22:40:22  offset: 0.002068 sec  freq: 9.965 ppm  poll: 64 sec
24 Oct 23:40:25  offset: -0.000362 sec  freq: 10.232 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 00:40:30  offset: 0.001977 sec  freq: 10.386 ppm  poll: 128 sec
25 Oct 01:30:14  time reset (slew) 0.363422 sec
25 Oct 01:30:14  synchronization lost
25 Oct 01:36:39  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
25 Oct 01:40:32  offset: -0.360867 sec  freq: 0.325 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 02:25:17  time reset (slew) 0.312518 sec
25 Oct 02:25:17  synchronization lost
25 Oct 02:30:39  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
25 Oct 02:40:39  offset: -0.062027 sec  freq: -6.059 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 03:18:30  time reset (slew) -0.298988 sec
25 Oct 03:18:30  synchronization lost
25 Oct 03:23:51  synchronized to 145.238.110.68, stratum=2
25 Oct 03:40:43  offset: 0.010863 sec  freq: -3.885 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 04:40:46  offset: 0.013725 sec  freq: -1.093 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 05:40:49  offset: 0.010608 sec  freq: 1.350 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 06:40:52  offset: 0.008608 sec  freq: 3.259 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 07:40:55  offset: 0.005077 sec  freq: 4.763 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 08:40:58  offset: 0.004040 sec  freq: 5.866 ppm  poll: 64 sec
25 Oct 09:41:02  offset: 0.002797 sec  freq: 6.781 ppm  poll: 64 sec

Interesting new technical area...
D.

0
no18 (4537)
10/25/2003 8:38:18 AM
[...]
[...]

Ah. When you said you had deleted "many" records, I was thinking hundreds
or thousands, rather than a little over a dozen - the ones you left before
trimming it were once per second and I thought it was continuing to do
something along those lines for as long as you let it run.

Apparently it is just a tad verbose when getting the initial synch. It
may also do this any time the adjustment is large, which should not happen
very often. (90 seconds is a rather long adjustment to slew - normally
adjustments that large are stepped.)

This doesn't seem bad at all.