does Canon have a printer that doesn't use a "FINE" cartridge?

Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
newer ones (Pixmas)
have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
preferably an AIO type
(one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
MP460.. They have
this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
absolutely necessary...

Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
three-colors + 1-black cartridge
configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
can suggest...
Thanks!!

Mike

0
mike

HP

mike e wrote:
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
measekite
1/13/2007 3:47:58 AM
The MP510 is what you're looking for. Pigment black only.

"mike e" <mikes425@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
Dan
1/13/2007 3:56:22 PM
Thanks Dan. I haven't even opened the 160 so i can still return it and
found the 510 for just about the same
price.  Looks like a better model... Do you think the ink cost is
generally less in the long run with the 510
model than a 160 or 180??

Dan G wrote:
> The MP510 is what you're looking for. Pigment black only.
>

> "mike e" <mikes425@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> > newer ones (Pixmas)
> > have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> > preferably an AIO type
> > (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> > MP460.. They have
> > this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> > absolutely necessary...
> >
> > Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> > three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> > configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> > can suggest...
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Mike

0
mike
1/13/2007 6:59:45 PM
Depends on how you print. The 510 uses separate tanks for each of the 4
inks, so you replace only what you use.

> Thanks Dan. I haven't even opened the 160 so i can still return it and
> found the 510 for just about the same
> price.  Looks like a better model... Do you think the ink cost is
> generally less in the long run with the 510
> model than a 160 or 180??

0
Dan
1/13/2007 7:40:44 PM
Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented black.
But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
$70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill them.

mike e wrote:
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
Sam
1/15/2007 12:13:37 AM

Sam Louis wrote:
> Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
> black.
> But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
> already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
> $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
> them.

However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower risk
of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.

> mike e wrote:
>> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
>> newer ones (Pixmas)
>> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
>> preferably an AIO type
>> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
>> MP460.. They have
>> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
>> absolutely necessary...
>>
>> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
>> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
>> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
>> can suggest...
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Mike

0
measekite
1/15/2007 3:55:38 AM
thanks all for your replies.  actually wound up finding a 510 mentioned
earlier for under 100 bucks and think i'll give it a try.... again,
still needed the AIO flatbed capability or otherwise might've
considered the IP ones you suggest - but thanks alot for the info!

mike

measekite wrote:
> Sam Louis wrote:
> > Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
> > black.
> > But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
> > already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
> > $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
> > them.
>
> However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower risk
> of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.
> >

> > mike e wrote:
> >> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> >> newer ones (Pixmas)
> >> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> >> preferably an AIO type
> >> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> >> MP460.. They have
> >> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> >> absolutely necessary...
> >>
> >> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> >> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> >> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> >> can suggest...
> >> Thanks!!
> >>
> >> Mike

0
mike
1/15/2007 5:58:12 PM
All canon printers are fine except for the cheap junk

measekite wrote:

> Sam Louis wrote:
>> Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
>> black.
>> But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
>> already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
>> $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
>> them.
>
> However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower
> risk of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.
>>

>> mike e wrote:
>>> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
>>> newer ones (Pixmas)
>>> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
>>> preferably an AIO type
>>> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
>>> MP460.. They have
>>> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
>>> absolutely necessary...
>>>
>>> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
>>> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
>>> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
>>> can suggest...
>>> Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Mike

0