HP printer vs. Canon printer

I need to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 825 as one of the print
nozzles is permanently clogged!  I have been looking at both HP and
Canon printers, more specifically HP 7550 & Canon Pixma ip6700.  Has
anyone had any experience with either printer, good or bad?

I need a printer that will do everything from print invoices,
newsletters to photos.  Photos do not have to be gallery quality, but
good enough for a newsletter.

Also, in comparison, which brand has better prices on ink?  Is one
brand of ink better than another (assuming I would use the same brand
of paper) in relation to water /light resistance and longevity?

Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it is just general
comparison of brands rather than specific models.
Thank you!

0
hdauerphoto

Canon, IMHO, is an easy winner. HP drivers are getting really poor, and
support for them is also poor.
You can see for yourself what the inks costs are, ink usage will depend on
your use of the printer.

Al inkjet prints will fade over time, it's just a matter of how soon.
Keeping them under glass/plastic eliminated that issue.

<hdauerphoto@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I need to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 825 as one of the print
> nozzles is permanently clogged!  I have been looking at both HP and
> Canon printers, more specifically HP 7550 & Canon Pixma ip6700.  Has
> anyone had any experience with either printer, good or bad?
>
> I need a printer that will do everything from print invoices,
> newsletters to photos.  Photos do not have to be gallery quality, but
> good enough for a newsletter.
>
> Also, in comparison, which brand has better prices on ink?  Is one
> brand of ink better than another (assuming I would use the same brand
> of paper) in relation to water /light resistance and longevity?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it is just general
> comparison of brands rather than specific models.
> Thank you!

0
Dan
2/28/2007 5:00:26 PM

hdauerphoto@earthlink.net wrote:
> I need to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 825 as one of the print
> nozzles is permanently clogged!  I have been looking at both HP and
> Canon printers, more specifically HP 7550 & Canon Pixma ip6700.  Has
> anyone had any experience with either printer, good or bad?

First Canon will produce better results than HP and comes with Full
Sized carts and is faster.  As for Canon the IP4300 will produce as good
a results or better than the IP6700 and costs less.  It can be had for
about $80.00 on sale.  The fade resistance is better since is does not
use the light load colors.  The ability to edit and print without using
a computer is no advantage at all in achieving quality photos.
> I need a printer that will do everything from print invoices,
> newsletters to photos.  Photos do not have to be gallery quality, but
> good enough for a newsletter.

The IP4300 will do all of that.  It can also duplex and has twin paper
trays and better paper handling than the HP.
> Also, in comparison, which brand has better prices on ink?
Canon not only has better prices for ink but the ink goes farther.
> Is one
> brand of ink better than another (assuming I would use the same brand
> of paper) in relation to water /light resistance and longevity?

I would say that they are about equal in most circumstances.  I know
that, with Canon, you have a very wide choice of paper.  I happen to use
Hammermill Premium InkJet and get fine results.

For photos I use Canon Photo Paper Pro Glossy, Epson Premium Glossy,
Epson Heavyweight Matte, Ilford Classic Pearl and could also use Ilford
Smooth Pearl.  The Classic is more resistance to gas fading than Smooth
with dye ink but takes much longer to dry.  The classic is a swellable
polymer paper that captures and seals the ink.

I also have an HP printer (I have had that first) and it is very good.
I use that mainly for printing computer code in draft and web pages.  HP
has a better draft than Canon but Canon uses less ink.

If I had to choose between them it would be Canon.  Due to better paper
handling Canon is able to do more jobs like printing envelopes and
invitations and odd sized stuff than HP.

Hope this helps.  And always use factory ink so you do not get head
clogs and lower quality results along with faded results.
> Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it is just general
> comparison of brands rather than specific models.
> Thank you!

0
measekite